The Travel Thread

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

The Travel Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:24 am

i've been doing a lot of traveling around australia since moving here, and it occurred to me that i really enjoy meeting other people and hearing about places that they've enjoyed while traveling.

so what are some of your favorite places that you've visited? what spots are high on your to-do list? what is most important to you when you travel - culture, nightlife, scenery, wildlife, etc?

personally, i still list interlaken, switzerland as my favorite vacation spot. some of the greenest valleys you'll ever seen, ringed by snowcapped mountains the entire year. capri, italy was also quite beautiful. i enjoyed much of italy actually, with very fond memories of florence and the surrounding tuscan countryside.

i consider myself a very outdoorsy person, and interlaken fits that bill. i've also been to yosemite twice and done four different hikes, all of which were memorable and beautiful. the adirondacks make for lovely hiking, especially during the fall when leaves are changing. letchworth state park (about an hour east of buffalo) was quite wonderful with the leaves at peak color a couple of years ago.

i still have lots to do here, but some of the beaches of south-west australia are incredibly beautiful. what i find so striking about them is that if they were somewhere like the u.s. or europe, they would be heavily developed with every square inch of sand taken by a local or a tourist, but most of the beaches in western australia are isolated and sparsely visited, and many of them lie on state or national parkland. a place called two peoples bay nature reserve, located about a half hour east of albany, western australia, is my favorite place that i've been here.

as for my to-see list, new zealand is probably #1, especially considering my relative proximity to the nation (though it's still almost 10 hours travel time and over $1000 round trip). sweden and actually all of scandinavia is also high on my list, but probably on the back burner as europe is quite a hike. i'm also eager to visit hawai'i since i have a couple of friends there now. as for australia, there is a whole heap of things i'd like to do, but among the things i'm most eager to see are melbourne and the great ocean road in victoria, the mountains of tasmania, kakadu national park and uluru (ayers rock) in the northern territory, and either the great barrier reef off queensland or the ningaloo reef off north-west australia.

back stateside, montana, colorado and the grand canyon are places i'll get around to seeing eventually, and i'd like to do more hiking in the sierra nevada, including the tallest mountain in the lower 48 (mt whitney).

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby C.C. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 am

San Pedro, Belize

If you want a spot that has great diving and a super causal place to hang out give this place a try. It's paradise! Great food, the beaches rock. It's the only place I ever been to where their is never a need to wear shoes. Yeah, it's that casual. The locals are awesome and they are major, major Cubs fans with WGN being their first cable station. I actually made friends with one of them and flew him and his father out to stay with us for a week. We saw 6 cubs games in 7 days. It was a blast and they were in awe of Wrigley/Chicago. Great people....

I also love Aruba.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 am

My favorite places reasonably close to where I live are Williamsburg, Virginia and Charleston, South Carolina. My favorite distant place might be Victoria, British Columbia. I generally enjoy scenery, wildlife, and historic places.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:05 am

Sadly, the only country I've ever been to other than the US is Canada. Not exactly a world traveler, though that's more a financial issue than an interest thing. My wife and I both badly want to see Rome.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:12 am

NCCubFan wrote:My favorite places reasonably close to where I live are Williamsburg, Virginia and Charleston, South Carolina. My favorite distant place might be Victoria, British Columbia. I generally enjoy scenery, wildlife, and historic places.

I'd definitely like to see british columbia - vancouver and victoria especially. i've seen some wonderful photos of the canadian rockies as well.

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 am

I really want go to Europe this summer. The only place I ever go to is Germany. I want to hit Paris and Spain.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:56 am

Not a big fan of travel, but I do love snorkeling on Maui. I'd also like to find a way to go back to Bali with my wife (but not my daughter)
We are doomed.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:06 am

C.C. wrote:I really want go to Europe this summer. The only place I ever go to is Germany. I want to hit Paris and Spain.

I'll be spending some time in Seville in March.

Lisbon as well.

I haven't done much in the way of international travel until recently. Vienna was very nice. Salzburg too. But they both have significant tourist sectors, so if you are into being away from the tourist crowd I probably wouldn't recommend it.

I will say this: don't sleep on Canada. There are some very nice destinations there. It's close, less expensive, and places like Montreal and Vancouver can actually offer a very different, more international environment than most of us are used to. The outdoors are unbelievable there, as well.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 am

I'm not super picky about where to travel, I enjoy beautiful scenery as much as seeing touristy attractions. A couple months ago I went to Oahu, and that was really great. Obviously great weather and beaches, and if you go to the interior you get the mountainous/rain forest type scenery as well. I spent a good bit of time in Colorado over the last year, and it's incredibly beautiful out there, I'd like to go back. I think next we're going to go to DC and see all the museums and whatnot.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 am

We're taking a cruise to the Mexican Riviera next month and I can't wait.

My wife's new job has taken her to Turkey, Romania, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and The Philippines, and now she's been assigned to Australia. Hopefully I can tag along with her on a future trip.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:45 am

I'd love to go to Turkey. I've heard Istanbul is amazing.

Also, a co-worker of mine has been assigned to Dubai. I'm jealous :) I want to check out the man-made Palm island, and the weird & wonderful buildings they've put up over there.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:29 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
NCCubFan wrote:My favorite places reasonably close to where I live are Williamsburg, Virginia and Charleston, South Carolina. My favorite distant place might be Victoria, British Columbia. I generally enjoy scenery, wildlife, and historic places.

I'd definitely like to see british columbia - vancouver and victoria especially. i've seen some wonderful photos of the canadian rockies as well.
I've been to Vancouver as well and liked it; I just liked Victoria more. The Canadian Rockies are definitely on my to-do list at some time.

Castro's Spray Chart
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby Castro's Spray Chart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Number one on my to-do list is probably the Balkans - esp Croatia, Greece and Turkey. I think I've done Western Europe to death. Would also like to see SE Asia and Australia/NZ.
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:29 pm

I sort of liked Newfoundland. The accent, for the few people who kept the strong form, is amazing, like Irish crossed with pirate. We ran into one man there my wife simply couldn't understand.
We are doomed.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:00 pm

call me strange, but i'd like to spend a year in iceland and the faroe islands
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

vancouver is nice, stanley park, the night life, the friendliness of the natives. whistler isn't far away. the city itself sits literally in between mountains right be the water, it's paradise.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Careless wrote:Not a big fan of travel, but I do love snorkeling on Maui. I'd also like to find a way to go back to Bali with my wife (but not my daughter)

what is the big allure of bali? i have to ask because [expletive] everyone from this area (perth) goes to bali. i think it's because bali is one of the only international destinations that's cheaper airfare from perth than it is from the big cities in eastern australia. also, it seems like everyone in perth has a bintang (beer) shirt from bali.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:27 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:
Careless wrote:Not a big fan of travel, but I do love snorkeling on Maui. I'd also like to find a way to go back to Bali with my wife (but not my daughter)

what is the big allure of bali? i have to ask because [expletive] everyone from this area (perth) goes to bali. i think it's because bali is one of the only international destinations that's cheaper airfare from perth than it is from the big cities in eastern australia. also, it seems like everyone in perth has a bintang (beer) shirt from bali.

It goes from large Hawaiian style resort hotels to really cheap third world style places, sort of the Australian version of shoving all the tourist areas of Mexico into an island the size of Delaware. [edit: and with Eastern religion cred thrown in]

But for me, it's the place where my wife and I would usually vacation when she lived in Indonesia.
We are doomed.

laurens
All-Star

Postby laurens » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Switzerland is stunningly beautiful, and really good for hiking.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

vancouver is nice, stanley park, the night life, the friendliness of the natives. whistler isn't far away. the city itself sits literally in between mountains right be the water, it's paradise.
I think Stanley Park and Gastown were my favorite areas when I visited.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:06 am

Oh, and I'm never going into the Amazon again without good reason. Humidity that causes pencils to tear paper instead of writing can go [expletive] itself
We are doomed.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm not super picky about where to travel, I enjoy beautiful scenery as much as seeing touristy attractions. A couple months ago I went to Oahu, and that was really great. Obviously great weather and beaches, and if you go to the interior you get the mountainous/rain forest type scenery as well.

Oahu is amazing in so many ways. I was able to visit many sites there that the general public cannot access due to my job, and those all happened to be on the tops of various mountains. The only downside I've found is that I haven't been able to enjoy pineapple back home after having the good, fresh stuff there.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:42 am

Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places on this planet.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:46 am

My 15th wedding anniversary is coming up in 16 months, so I need to start figuring out what a good trip might be. The wife should have a good deal of frequent flier miles saved by then (with an estimated 2-3 more trips to SE Asia and 2-3 trips to Australia between now and then). We like to cruise, so maybe a Mediterranean cruise? The nice thing is that my parents are both retiring this year, so by April 2012 (our anniversary), they can come stay with the kids while we're away.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am

Vegas in April with Oregon and Washington in the summer. I was pushing for Costa Rica instead, but going to a family reunion now. If things fair well might still try to push for Costa Rica towards the end of summer.

Return to “Social”