The Travel Thread

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18605
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby XZero77 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Banedon wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/blogdramedy/idiotic-travel-complaints_b_4073107.html

These are actual complaints received from dissatisfied customers by Thomas Cook Vacations (based on a Thomas Cook/ABTA survey):

1. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

2. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallarta to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."

3. "On my holiday to Goa in India , I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."

4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."

5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."

6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."

7. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."


More at the link...lol


I saw that too. Hilarious.

You wouldn't believe those are real, but my wife (who works at a nice resort/hotel) hears the same kind of crap. Some people really are just that spoiled and out of touch with reality.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Soul wrote:LOL, #7 FTW.


19. "My fiance and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18605
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby XZero77 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

"There were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."


How much do you want to bet they were in a Latin/South American country (or Spain itself, sadly, that wouldn't be surprising)?


At the resort where my wife works she recently had a guest ask to be partially reimbursed because it was unseasonably rainy, and he had expected it to be more sunny.
Last edited by XZero77 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:29 pm

XZero77 wrote:
"There were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."


How much do you want to bet they were in a Latin/South American country (or Spain itself, sadly, that wouldn't be surprising)?


At the resort where my wife works she recently had a guest ask to be partially reimbursed because it was unseasonable rainy, and he had expected it to be more sunny.


Most of the complaints led me to believe they were all complaints from trips to Spain. Could be wrong though.

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18605
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby XZero77 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Banedon wrote:
XZero77 wrote:
"There were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."


How much do you want to bet they were in a Latin/South American country (or Spain itself, sadly, that wouldn't be surprising)?


At the resort where my wife works she recently had a guest ask to be partially reimbursed because it was unseasonable rainy, and he had expected it to be more sunny.


Most of the complaints led me to believe they were all complaints from trips to Spain. Could be wrong though.


"It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."


(also hilarious)

User avatar
Smack
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8049
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:13 am
Location: Milwaukee

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Smack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Those remind me of things Karl Pilkington would say.
BTFU!

User avatar
mhuber92211
All-Star
Posts: 4250
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:11 pm
Location: Wrigley at 3 months

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mhuber92211 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:36 am

XZero77 wrote:
"There were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."


How much do you want to bet they were in a Latin/South American country (or Spain itself, sadly, that wouldn't be surprising)?


At the resort where my wife works she recently had a guest ask to be partially reimbursed because it was unseasonably rainy, and he had expected it to be more sunny.


I work at a resort Casino in Southern California. Imagine what the people who come to our 4-diamond resort with literally huffy bags for luggage say when they get to their room. I swear a coffee table book should be written - or at least one of those reality shows that do Top 10 travel stuff... Dumb Criminals Ha! Ho about Dumb travelers
Congrats Chicago

cl smooth
Starter
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:59 am
Location: carroll gardens (via illinois)

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby cl smooth » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am

heading to paris and london with my girlfriend from december 20th to january 2nd. what's your favorite things to do in each city?

User avatar
yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge
Posts: 16537
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:04 am

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby yanrslatr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am

cl smooth wrote:heading to paris and london with my girlfriend from december 20th to january 2nd. what's your favorite things to do in each city?


have sex with your girlfriend

/ssr'd

User avatar
shnsajax
Superstar
Posts: 14958
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:44 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho

The Travel Thread

Postby shnsajax » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm

cl smooth wrote:heading to paris and london with my girlfriend from december 20th to january 2nd. what's your favorite things to do in each city?


Pretty much drink. What district in Paris are you staying at? Montmartre is a cool walk but I'm not sure about that in Dec. will probably be pretty brutal that time of the year.
Image

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8355
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg

The Travel Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Anyone have some Eastern European spots to check out? I'll be in Sofia, Bulgaria for 3 months with work.
ImageImage

cl smooth
Starter
Posts: 765
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 9:59 am
Location: carroll gardens (via illinois)

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby cl smooth » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:18 pm

shnsajax wrote:
cl smooth wrote:heading to paris and london with my girlfriend from december 20th to january 2nd. what's your favorite things to do in each city?


Pretty much drink. What district in Paris are you staying at? Montmartre is a cool walk but I'm not sure about that in Dec. will probably be pretty brutal that time of the year.


the marais in paris and shoreditch in london. we'll be in paris from the 20th to 26th and london from the 26th until january 2nd. there's a few clubs in london that i've wanted to go to since i was younger that i'll be popping my head into (xoyo, plastic people and fabric), but other than drinking and eating, i haven't put too much thought of where i want to go or what i want to see.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Just landed in Vegas and its 77 degrees

*swoon*

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7135
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:53 am
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mul21 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm headed to NYC for the marathon next weekend and I'm looking for tips on the best way to get around the city economically. Should I get a metro card or just pay by the ride if I'm more than likely only going to and from LaGuardia round trip using the bus/subway with my girlfriend and me? Is it cash only when you get on?
I like beer.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

mul21 wrote:I'm headed to NYC for the marathon next weekend and I'm looking for tips on the best way to get around the city economically. Should I get a metro card or just pay by the ride if I'm more than likely only going to and from LaGuardia round trip using the bus/subway with my girlfriend and me? Is it cash only when you get on?


I haven't done LGA in quite a while, but I believe it's somewhat complicated (although not actually far). There are typically both cash/credit Kiosks and credit only kiosks, and you can count on at least one of them not to work. You need to get a metrocard for bus/subway, do not plan on using cash on board. If you are there for the weekend then you should probably just buy a $20 metrocard, or maybe less. They don't offer a weekend one anymore, the only unlimited you can get is $30 for full week.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

http://www.nysubway.com/airport/laguardia.html

Depending on your destination and time of arrival, I would strongly consider a cab from LGA.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

CubinNY
Superstar
Posts: 19411
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:52 am
Location: Pike Road, Al

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby CubinNY » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
mul21 wrote:I'm headed to NYC for the marathon next weekend and I'm looking for tips on the best way to get around the city economically. Should I get a metro card or just pay by the ride if I'm more than likely only going to and from LaGuardia round trip using the bus/subway with my girlfriend and me? Is it cash only when you get on?


I haven't done LGA in quite a while, but I believe it's somewhat complicated (although not actually far). There are typically both cash/credit Kiosks and credit only kiosks, and you can count on at least one of them not to work. You need to get a metrocard for bus/subway, do not plan on using cash on board. If you are there for the weekend then you should probably just buy a $20 metrocard, or maybe less. They don't offer a weekend one anymore, the only unlimited you can get is $30 for full week.

http://web.mta.info/metrocard/

http://www.mta.info/maps/submap.html

http://www.nysubway.com/airport/laguardia.html

Depending on your destination and time of arrival, I would strongly consider a cab from LGA.

The M20 bus will get you to and from Manhattan, but it's not fun. As goony suggested, I'd get a cab to your hotel and then get the metrocard at a subway station.

User avatar
SeldomSeen
Starter
Posts: 914
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 9:29 pm
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby SeldomSeen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm heading heading to Dallas today for the weekend. First time there, and I have no idea what to do in my down time. We're staying at the Hilton Anatole and welcome suggestions for things to do nearby.

User avatar
NOLA
formerly northsider2004
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 9:17 pm
Location: Marigny, New Orleans
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby NOLA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 pm

SeldomSeen wrote:I'm heading heading to Dallas today for the weekend. First time there, and I have no idea what to do in my down time. We're staying at the Hilton Anatole and welcome suggestions for things to do nearby.

Recently I was there and went to the Bishop Arts District area. Good bars, shops, restaurants, and a short cab ride from the Anatole. Check out the menu at Boulevardier. Good stuff.

User avatar
shnsajax
Superstar
Posts: 14958
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:44 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho

The Travel Thread

Postby shnsajax » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Community Brewery is very close by. Part of the Design District. Same part of the Arts District and there is an event on Saturday that looks pretty damn nice.

https://m.facebook.com/events/226744794190639/

McKinney Ave is a short cab ride away. Lots of bars and restaurants. The Common Table being my favorite. Bread Winners is great for breakfast. Not far at all from the JFK museum. The Perot Museum of Natural Science is also right around the corner too. Let me know if you want some other suggestions.
Image

User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 50813
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:47 am
Location: Perth, W.A.
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 pm

just rode/drove across the nullarbor, one of the longer and more isolated roads in the world.

Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image



aiming to go to lord howe island later this year. pretty amazing place - it's an island that's a remnant of a volcano and has a really diverse and unique animal and plant life due to its isolation. it's a world heritage location and only 400 visitors are allowed per night. it's also really beautiful.

Spoiler: show
Image
Image

User avatar
pitchcs
All-Star
Posts: 3838
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: A block from Wrigley
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby pitchcs » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm

That's amazing...looks like a place they filmed 'The Beach' or some [expletive].

Ha, is that a wallaby on that yellow street sign?
Cause my life is dope and I do dope [expletive].

[The sound of fastballs] was one of those things that told me my pitches were fast....because I've never heard pitches as loud as mine.

apete6
All-Star
Posts: 3442
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Northwest Side

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby apete6 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:16 am

SeldomSeen wrote:I'm heading heading to Dallas today for the weekend. First time there, and I have no idea what to do in my down time. We're staying at the Hilton Anatole and welcome suggestions for things to do nearby.


Eat at Pecan Lodge.

Also, the Uptown area has some good bars. The Katy Trail Ice House is a very Texas atmosphere, worth checking out.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:17 am

I'm heading to st martin and cannot wait to get the f away from this f ing cold weather
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
shnsajax
Superstar
Posts: 14958
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:44 pm
Location: Boise, Idaho

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby shnsajax » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:55 pm

apete6 wrote:
SeldomSeen wrote:I'm heading heading to Dallas today for the weekend. First time there, and I have no idea what to do in my down time. We're staying at the Hilton Anatole and welcome suggestions for things to do nearby.


Eat at Pecan Lodge.

Also, the Uptown area has some good bars. The Katy Trail Ice House is a very Texas atmosphere, worth checking out.


If you go to Pecan Lodge you will want to get there between 9-10am to start waiting in line too, but its worth it.
Image

User avatar
NOLA
formerly northsider2004
Posts: 2117
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 9:17 pm
Location: Marigny, New Orleans
Contact:

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby NOLA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 pm

This is as good as any place to post this. These are all aerial shots of different places around the world. Barcelona and the rice fields in China are amazing.
http://sftimes.co/?id=297&src=share_fb_new_297
Mexico City, spoilered for size:
Spoiler: show
Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests