GoT for Book Readers (Beware Spoilers All Ye Who Enter)

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am

OleMissCub wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:Winterfell isn't exactly the most prestigious lordship in Westeros. It's basically just Canada.

It's York imo.

except the duke of york has historically been the second son of the king. prestigious, yes, but not necessarily an honor.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 am

I'm all for nerdy, but the level of nerdy in this thread is nearing maximum capacity....

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 am

Banedon wrote:I'm all for nerdy, but the level of nerdy in this thread is nearing maximum capacity....

You are watching the show?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:19 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Banedon wrote:I'm all for nerdy, but the level of nerdy in this thread is nearing maximum capacity....

Watched the series, read the first book, and I'm about 200 pages into the 2nd book now. The comparisons to historical characters is high nerd-dom though. ;)

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 am

Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

Watched the series, read the first book, and I'm about 200 pages into the 2nd book now. The comparisons to historical characters is high nerd-dom though. ;)

there's not really all that much. the story is drawn from history but no character is a perfect representation of any one historical figure. it's pretty much like any fantasy novel, 1/3 history, 1/3 imagination, 1/3 tolkien.

i, personally love the history of england, so that's where i'm a total nerd.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:29 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:Winterfell isn't exactly the most prestigious lordship in Westeros. It's basically just Canada.

It's York imo.

except the duke of york has historically been the second son of the king. prestigious, yes, but not necessarily an honor.

I was just meaning it's a good comparison as far as War of the Roses goes. Considering that the Yorks were powerful people from their town in Northern England, then it follows that the Starks and Winterfell were sort of derived from that. Although in England the large city closest to the real wall is Newcastle, which incidentally is the only town in England where I saw a large density of pretty girls.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:36 am

Just started book 4 last night. :)
Spoiler: show

CUBZ99
All-Star

Postby CUBZ99 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Tim wrote:Just started book 4 last night. :)

You are lucky to have waited to read the series. Book 5 comes out Tuesday, so you won't have to wait 6+ years like the rest of us.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm

CUBZ99 wrote:

You are lucky to have waited to read the series. Book 5 comes out Tuesday, so you won't have to wait 6+ years like the rest of us.

lol - I started reading the wheel of time series back in college in the early 90's. Still waiting for it to end.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:27 pm

book 2 page 810

i am so relieved.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:book 2 page 810

i am so relieved.

I'm reading on the kindle, so I don't know what this is referencing. Can you be more specific?

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 am

Ha I just finished book 3

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Tim wrote:

i am so relieved.

I'm reading on the kindle, so I don't know what this is referencing. Can you be more specific?

i was so pissed off for a couple of chapters i thought I was just going to stop reading, you can probably guess why.

although i'm sure when it gets converted to the screen, it will be a pretty obvious ruse.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

just finished book 2.

not happy that it's always the people i'm rooting for getting nailed from behind by a rescuing army.

[expletive] knight of flowers, i hope brienne cuts him up into little bits.

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

i am so relieved.

i was so pissed off for a couple of chapters i thought I was just going to stop reading, you can probably guess why.

although i'm sure when it gets converted to the screen, it will be a pretty obvious ruse.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. Battle of Blackwater?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:07 pm

11 Strange and Cool versions of the theme.

The violin one at the top is amazing. Also, the medieval instruments one is fantastic.

http://blastr.com/2011/07/11-stunning-and-often-odd.php

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:15 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

i am so relieved.

are you telling me that you never believed for a moment that bran and rickon were dead?

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

i am so relieved.

are you telling me that you never believed for a moment that bran and rickon were dead?

No, I was telling you I had no idea what happened on pg 810 of that book. I forgot about the Bran/Rickon ruse, so I was just trying to guess what pissed you off.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 pm

ah ok, gotcha. it was one of those ned's dead moments for me, probably worse. so i was relieved to find out they were alive.

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:38 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
ah ok, gotcha. it was one of those ned's dead moments for me, probably worse. so i was relieved to find out they were alive.

The stuff that happens in Winterfell in that book is a pretty huge bummer nonetheless.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:45 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:

The stuff that happens in Winterfell in that book is a pretty huge bummer nonetheless.

the book itself is a huge bummer, pretty much from beginning to end, starting with cressen's prologue, continuing with renly's murder and loras's defection and ending with smoldering winterfell.

i'm still going to read the others, though.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Careless wrote:Also, casting that chick as that character.... (basic spoilers about who/what the character is)
they just cast a 30 year old as a never married virginal first daughter of a major lord. that's simply ludicrous.

the girl they got to play brienne the beauty looks to be spot on, though.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:33 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
snoodmonger wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:

the book itself is a huge bummer, pretty much from beginning to end, starting with cressen's prologue, continuing with renly's murder and loras's defection and ending with smoldering winterfell.

i'm still going to read the others, though.

I kinda considered Book 2 as the Empire Strikes Back of the series. It's a ton of place setting and doom and gloom. Book 3 is infinitely better and more eventful.

CUBZ99
All-Star

Postby CUBZ99 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Just finished book 5 and the best advice I can give any new readers is to stop at book 3. It goes from excellent writing in books 1-3 to cliche corny cliffhanging writing in books 4-5. I hope that HBO follows what showtime did with Dexter and re-writes the story after book 3.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:16 pm

CUBZ99 wrote:Just finished book 5 and the best advice I can give any new readers is to stop at book 3. It goes from excellent writing in books 1-3 to cliche corny cliffhanging writing in books 4-5. I hope that HBO follows what showtime did with Dexter and re-writes the story after book 3.

My girl has flown through the books recently and she pretty much said the same thing. She's pretty saddened by the drop off.

Return to “Social”