GoT for Book Readers (Beware Spoilers All Ye Who Enter)

User avatar
Careless
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25294
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Careless » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:54 am

ctcf wrote:
Careless wrote:The casting of Arya sure turned around in quality by the end of the season


Do you mean she got better or worse?

She's doing fine as an actress, it's just getting ridiculously implausible as she's slamming into puberty at the same time she's being ordered to be a boy.
snoodmonger wrote:The actress who plays Shae is both ugly and a terrible actress.

Yep. How the hell did she get the German equivalent of an Oscar?
We are doomed.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6381
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:15 pm
Location: DC (temporarily) via Indy via Bloomington
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Exile on Waveland » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

A bit underwhelming as far as season finales go, I thought. I think we most/all saw the dragons coming miles away (sulley mentioned that weeks ago). I was waiting for that to happen at least from the time she placed the eggs on the fire. That doesn't mean I can't wait for next season though.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

last nights episode was as the book left it, so writing/changing it for a TV series may not make sense. Thats prolly why it felt underwhelming.

As far as Eddard: There are characters I am interested in as well, Arya, Jon Snow, and Tyrian, and to a lesser degree Rob. The Nights Watch march into the North is probably the most intriguing development.

Dragon Girl is expandable to me. She has no money, no real army (just a rag tag bunch), and 3 dragons. OK. Kind of pointless really. Had the book been written that would have allowed Eddard to escape and go underground, disappear for a season or two, well just about anything would have been more interesting.
Spoiler: show
Image

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6381
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:15 pm
Location: DC (temporarily) via Indy via Bloomington
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Exile on Waveland » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:22 am

Oh, I understand that the books exist and the TV plot is constrained by the books. In fact, I wouldn't want them to stray much at all from the book anyway. But, in a TV vacuum, last night's episode was underwhelming (it set the groundwork for future happenings, but that's not what finales typically are).
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 am

Yeah, I was a bit underwhelmed as well. It felt like it was the setup to a season finale, not an actual one.

Also, I wonder if they went ahead and filmed some season 2 scenes with the kids that play Bran and Arya. They're gonna look completely different if they didn't.
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:11 pm

I'm sure they just age fast, like direwolves
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Stannis
RIP Sulley
Posts: 43322
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:17 am
Location: Winterfell

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Stannis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:21 pm

i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.


Spoiler: show
him + Arya have potential
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.


Spoiler: show
him + Arya have potential

Keep that up without spoiler tags and people are going to get really [expletive] pissed off.
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
EhDubya
All-Star
Posts: 1125
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby EhDubya » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 am

Too late. You are the absolute worst, minny.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 am

EhDubya wrote:Too late. You are the absolute worst, minny.


No isht. I guess he thinks it is funny.
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 am

What's up with the old guy pretending to be so feeble? Is that something that is addressed in the future? If so, then don't tell me.
Image

User avatar
Careless
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25294
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:27 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Careless » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:06 am

OleMissCub wrote:What's up with the old guy pretending to be so feeble? Is that something that is addressed in the future? If so, then don't tell me.

#-o
We are doomed.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 am

Careless wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:What's up with the old guy pretending to be so feeble? Is that something that is addressed in the future? If so, then don't tell me.

#-o


Ok, we get it, you've read the books.

Is it something is addressed later in the series or is it just that he wants to appear feeble so he doesn't seem like a threat to the high and mighty.
Image

User avatar
snoodmonger
Superstar
Posts: 11627
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:53 pm
Location: LA
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby snoodmonger » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:55 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Careless wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:What's up with the old guy pretending to be so feeble? Is that something that is addressed in the future? If so, then don't tell me.

#-o


Ok, we get it, you've read the books.

Is it something is addressed later in the series or is it just that he wants to appear feeble so he doesn't seem like a threat to the high and mighty.



i think the emoticon was in response to the bizarre way you asked the question. You asked it, then you asked people not to answer it.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

snoodmonger wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Careless wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:What's up with the old guy pretending to be so feeble? Is that something that is addressed in the future? If so, then don't tell me.

#-o


Ok, we get it, you've read the books.

Is it something is addressed later in the series or is it just that he wants to appear feeble so he doesn't seem like a threat to the high and mighty.



i think the emoticon was in response to the bizarre way you asked the question. You asked it, then you asked people not to answer it.


Oh, yeah. My bad. I could see how I phrased that wrong.
Image

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

Image
Image

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 31177
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 am

OleMissCub wrote:http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5ftlx34K1qzcxrno1_500.jpg[/spoiler]


Ha. I read this in a comments section and I thought it perfectly described what people could expect from the series without giving away in any plot points. Spoilered just in case anyone's sensitive about this sort of thing, but I promise it gives away no plot points if you are curious:

Spoiler: show
Martin doesn't tell a story where the handsome prince goes and rescues the damsal in distress. He tells a story where the handsome prince rides off to rescue the damsal in distress but his horse goes lame, he gets lost in the woods and stumbles into some bandits who kill him, steal his armor and eat his horse (in a stew with potatoes, carrots and some fennel) but that night they are attacked by wolves and are slaughtered except for one who escapes to a local village where the breastplate he's wearing is recognized as having been the princes so they hang him as a thief. A wandering hedge knight takes the breastplate and picks up the cause of the damsal in distress but upon reaching her captors castle he discovers she murdered her captor, is heavy with his child and has claimed his lords titles as her own, imprisoning the knight until he recognizes her claim and becomes her lover/thrall. Meanwhile the dead bandits have apparently risen as werwolves and are terrorizing the village that hung their friend.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Tim wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.


Spoiler: show
him + Arya have potential

Keep that up without spoiler tags and people are going to get really [expletive] pissed off.


what? I quoted Lo Pan, people cant realize my spoiler has something to do with his post??? WTBLOODYH
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:03 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Tim wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.


Spoiler: show
him + Arya have potential

Keep that up without spoiler tags and people are going to get really [expletive] pissed off.


what? I quoted Lo Pan, people cant realize my spoiler has something to do with his post??? WTBLOODYH

You didn't put it in a spoiler. I edited your post and spoiler'ed it as you gave away a pretty major plot point in the second book / series.
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Tim wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Tim wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:i was wondering if robert's oldest bastard boy was going to make another appearance. there's a lot of potential with his character.


Spoiler: show
him + Arya have potential

Keep that up without spoiler tags and people are going to get really [expletive] pissed off.


what? I quoted Lo Pan, people cant realize my spoiler has something to do with his post??? WTBLOODYH

You didn't put it in a spoiler. I edited your post and spoiler'ed it as you gave away a pretty major plot point in the second book / series.


well thats interesting since I HAVENT READ THE SECOND BOOK
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I was merely noting that those two characters together were awfully strong. now, it seems to me, YOU'VE ruined part of the story for me, Tim. Thanks.

the whole bit about the wall in the other thread was completely out of my imagination. clearly I think too much like this author, or something, because as I notice things or just make [expletive] up I somehow trip over future events that people get upset about. I havent read any of these books, so when I dont use spoilers, its because I DONT REALIZE I'M SPOILING ANYTHING
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 50813
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:47 am
Location: Perth, W.A.
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby TruffleShuffle » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 am

yikes

User avatar
ctcf
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25527
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:33 am
Location: Derplyn
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby ctcf » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:23 am

OK... Question concerning next season. WARNING: This is STRICTLY for those who have read at least through the end of book 2.

Spoiler: show
What do you think they will do about Tyrion's wound at the hands of that Kings Guard? In the book it says it took off anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4s of his nose. Do you think they'll just ignore that part and give him some Joker type scars or have him looking that deformed? Keep in mind I'm only just starting book three.

User avatar
Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist
Posts: 28070
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 am
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm

http://arrestedwesteros.tumblr.com/

Possibly the best thing on the internet.

Image
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest