GoT for Book Readers (Beware Spoilers All Ye Who Enter)

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Game of Thrones tv show thread

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 pm

The girl that played Anne Boleyn in The Tudors has been added to the second season cast.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:40 pm

OleMissCub wrote:The girl that played Anne Boleyn in The Tudors has been added to the second season cast.

she's great
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 pm

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:The girl that played Anne Boleyn in The Tudors has been added to the second season cast.

she's great

Yeah absolutely. She was definitely my favorite part of The Tudors.

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:03 pm

ctcf wrote:OK... Question concerning next season. WARNING: This is STRICTLY for those who have read at least through the end of book 2.

Spoiler: show
What do you think they will do about Tyrion's wound at the hands of that Kings Guard? In the book it says it took off anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4s of his nose. Do you think they'll just ignore that part and give him some Joker type scars or have him looking that deformed? Keep in mind I'm only just starting book three.

Who knows. I've wondered about that too. They'll probably just give him a nasty scar.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:57 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
ctcf wrote:OK... Question concerning next season. WARNING: This is STRICTLY for those who have read at least through the end of book 2.

What do you think they will do about Tyrion's wound at the hands of that Kings Guard? In the book it says it took off anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4s of his nose. Do you think they'll just ignore that part and give him some Joker type scars or have him looking that deformed? Keep in mind I'm only just starting book three.

Who knows. I've wondered about that too. They'll probably just give him a nasty scar.

The last episode already had a noseless character from the book having a full nose with a scar, so... yeah, this isn't a tough call.

Also, casting that chick as that character.... (basic spoilers about who/what the character is)
they just cast a 30 year old as a never married virginal first daughter of a major lord. that's simply ludicrous.
We are doomed.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:26 am

Season One's most badass moments

http://tv.ign.com/articles/117/1178494p1.html

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 am

When Tyrell unseated The Mountain in the joust, there was something said about maybe Tyrell hadn't done it honorably or something of that sort and that is why The Mountain tried to kill him. What was that all about?

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 am

OleMissCub wrote:When Tyrell unseated The Mountain in the joust, there was something said about maybe Tyrell hadn't done it honorably or something of that sort and that is why The Mountain tried to kill him. What was that all about?

The accusation was that Loras had used a female horse that was in heat in order to make the Mountain's male horse more difficult to control.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:08 am

snoodmonger wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:When Tyrell unseated The Mountain in the joust, there was something said about maybe Tyrell hadn't done it honorably or something of that sort and that is why The Mountain tried to kill him. What was that all about?

The accusation was that Loras had used a female horse that was in heat in order to make the Mountain's male horse more difficult to control.

gotcha. thx

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:37 am

tyrell kicking mountain's ass was awesome.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:16 am

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 pm

It's kinda neat that with many of the names Martin just changed a letter or two around and sort of bastardized English names. Some of them are easy but then some I'm not sure what they are based on (if they are based on real names at all)

Eddard - Edward
Joffrey - Geoffrey
Petyr - Peter
Renly - Henry
Tommen - Thomas
Jaime - James
Benjen - Benjamin
Lancel - Lance
Catelyn - Katelyn
Rickard - Richard
Jorah - George
Walder - Walter
Jon - John
Kevan - Kevin
Willas - William
Loras - Lawrence
Tywin - Tywyn
Rhaegar - Roger

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 am

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:52 am

ok, so Danaerys is supposed to be 14 but her father died 17 years ago? pretty huge oversight there.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:55 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:ok, so Danaerys is supposed to be 14 but her father died 17 years ago? pretty huge oversight there.

in the book the math works out. Her mother had just gotten pregnant when Jaime killed her dad.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 am

i'm actually about 200 pages into a clash of kings, he's not the wordsmith that tolkien is by a long shot, but he has way more plates spinning at once, and the characters are all interesting.

and OMC, haha, drogo's dead.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:and OMC, haha, drogo's dead.

It's a damn shame.

I'm not really into Medieval history all that much but my girl is, that's pretty much the only era of history she cares about and reads constantly about it, and it's interesting watching it with her because she's pointing out how obvious it is that Martin is taking real characters from the War of the Roses and Hundred Years War era and just mixing them all together (at least to begin with). For example, Robert and Stark's relationship seemed to be following the relationship of Edward IV and Richard III, but of course that took a massive turn when Stark got the what for from Joffrey. Also, she said that the WOTR basically really got going when the Lancasters killed a York kid i.e. Jaime trying to kill Bran.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:28 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:and OMC, haha, drogo's dead.

It's a damn shame.

I'm not really into Medieval history all that much but my girl is, that's pretty much the only era of history she cares about and reads constantly about it, and it's interesting watching it with her because she's pointing out how obvious it is that Martin is taking real characters from the War of the Roses and Hundred Years War era and just mixing them all together (at least to begin with). For example, Robert and Stark's relationship seemed to be following the relationship of Edward IV and Richard III, but of course that took a massive turn when Stark got the what for from Joffrey. Also, she said that the WOTR basically really got going when the Lancasters killed a York kid i.e. Jaime trying to kill Bran.

i actually see Robert as more Henry VIII, even though he's post-wars of the roses. he's fat, blustery, whoring, drunken, and hates his wife and longs for a woman who died in his youth. he is only distantly related to the plantagenets/targaryens and he wants to kill them all. Although the whole taking advantage of a mad king certainly puts him in the Edward IV category.

Stark is in the position of Richard III, but he fails at every turn to seize the opportunity that Richard had to in order to become King. Where Richard would have snatched Joffrey and the rest from their beds and sent them away long enough to delegitimize them and then have them executed, Ned was merciful, a trait that none had during the Wars of the Roses. Littlefinger is Buckingham, I see that, but Varys is another post-Wars character, Elizabeth I's famous spymaster Walsingham.

the part in book 2 when Varys is waiting for Tyrion at the Black Anvil and then speaks to him while the subtext is being translated by Tyrion in his mind is pretty cool. Especially the part when Varys is telling him how dangerous that part of town is, and Tyrion is hearing "the places where men must arm themselves to go, I may go freely, unarmed."

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:47 am

Yeah, she basically said the same thing about Ned being Richard III. Basically he just lacked the guile and ambition to do what Richard actually did which was exactly what Renly suggested to Ned. As far as Robert being Henry VIII, I guess it could be. Although Edward also got fat later on and may have died somewhat younger than expected because of his bad life habits. She suspects that Sansa is loosely based on Anne Neville, at least so far. She also initially thought that Catelyn was a sort of Eleanor of Aquitaine type character, but I think has since decided that she may be based on someone else, but I've forgotten who.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:08 pm

although there are similarities between Ned and John Howard, Duke of Norfolk. Howard held the most prestigious dukedom in England and was Richard III's most loyal and least scheming ally.

on the eve of bosworth field, he returned to his tent to find a note attached to the door. "Jack of Norfolk, be not too bold, for Dickon, thy master, is bought and sold"

Howard died on Bosworth field, and his son talked his way out of a beheading, as Henry, naturally, had himself declared King retroactive to the previous day and executed those who had stood against him for treason.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:10 pm

pertaining to book 2.

i'm a little over 500 pages into clash of kings and the most exciting thing in the book is renly getting killed by his brother's shadow. seriously, something better happen quickly.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:58 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:pertaining to book 2.

i'm a little over 500 pages into clash of kings and the most exciting thing in the book is renly getting killed by his brother's shadow. seriously, something better happen quickly.

My good sir,

Book two is OK. The last 3rd to 4th of that book gets pretty good and the end definitely has an Empire Strikes Back kinda vibe. I'm currently 800 pages into book 3 and I can firmly say that it is out of [expletive] control and makes the end of season one look like nothing. In a good way.

EDIT: I actually have no idea how they're going to pull doing Season 3 in ten episodes, let alone twelve.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:45 am

Lo_Pan_Fan wrote:although there are similarities between Ned and John Howard, Duke of Norfolk. Howard held the most prestigious dukedom in England and was Richard III's most loyal and least scheming ally.

on the eve of bosworth field, he returned to his tent to find a note attached to the door. "Jack of Norfolk, be not too bold, for Dickon, thy master, is bought and sold"

Howard died on Bosworth field, and his son talked his way out of a beheading, as Henry, naturally, had himself declared King retroactive to the previous day and executed those who had stood against him for treason.

Winterfell isn't exactly the most prestigious lordship in Westeros. It's basically just Canada.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:26 am

KyleJRM wrote:Winterfell isn't exactly the most prestigious lordship in Westeros. It's basically just Canada.

It's York imo.

Return to “Social”