The Science Thread

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:In the last year or so conspiracy theories crossed over from a thing that I used to eat up in my younger days before I realized they were ridiculous and just enjoyed the madness from afar, to now it genuinely worries me how much this [expletive] has seeped into people's everyday lives. The "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE"-types are still obviously ridiculous looney toons, but then you or read seemingly much more "normal" people just casually spout versions of the most insane [expletive] conspiracy theories like they're everyday knowledge and it's creepy as hell.

You and I followed a pretty similar arc.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 am

Stannis wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:In the last year or so conspiracy theories crossed over from a thing that I used to eat up in my younger days before I realized they were ridiculous and just enjoyed the madness from afar, to now it genuinely worries me how much this [expletive] has seeped into people's everyday lives. The "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE"-types are still obviously ridiculous looney toons, but then you or read seemingly much more "normal" people just casually spout versions of the most insane [expletive] conspiracy theories like they're everyday knowledge and it's creepy as hell.

You and I followed a pretty similar arc.

It was all the hooplah over the 30th anniversary of the JFK assassination in '93. I was a little [expletive] 14-year-old super in to history and just gobbled up all of the pro-conspiracy stuff that was left and right at the time. Seeing the movie JFK basically broke my brain for the rest of the decade.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:40 am

Older folks that get behind that craziness don't really bother me. I'm able to dismiss them. But when it's people my age and younger, especially the ones that are presumably educated....that's concerning.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:40 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
I wish it was just that. Look at the anti-vax and health/food woo people cling to. Look how readily so many people still believe the ridiculous ideas about Obama's heritage or religion.

We've basically always been a nation founded out of paranoia and persecution complexes, but the 24 hour news cycle coupled with the explosion of social media has really amped it up in recent years to the point that tons of everyday people just take these things as fact.

Yeah, I know some anti-vaxxers types. They are far from normal. They are wackadoodle in many aspects of their life. I know people who question Obama's origin and they are all the racist uncle types who would cling to any potential scandal that would damage a damn liberal. These people aren't normal. This [expletive] manifests itself in many ways. As Seinfeld said, people are the worst. The vast majority of people I know don't even know that there is a "false flag" theory from Newton. It's GD running joke to just randomly say 9/11 was an inside job. There are plenty of normal people out there that don't buy into this nonsense, they just aren't vocal about not being dumb and crazy. The dumb and crazy are loud and proud so you hear it. But that doesn't make them the norm.
Last edited by jersey cubs fan on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 am

Have you ever read Behold, A Pale Horse?

Pretty much the most amazing bat [expletive] crazy conspiracy theory ever thought up. William S. Cooper actually thought that the Galileo space probe was armed with enough weapons-grade plutonium as fuel to ignite the atmosphere of Jupiter and cause it to become a second sun, because, you know, the first Bush is a member of the Illuminati and knows that the global cooling is real, not global warming. So another ice age gets avoided.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
I wish it was just that. Look at the anti-vax and health/food woo people cling to. Look how readily so many people still believe the ridiculous ideas about Obama's heritage or religion.

We've basically always been a nation founded out of paranoia and persecution complexes, but the 24 hour news cycle coupled with the explosion of social media has really amped it up in recent years to the point that tons of everyday people just take these things as fact.

Yeah, I know some anti-vaxxers types. They are far from normal. They are wackadoodle in my aspects of their life. I know people who question Obama's origin and they are all the racist uncle types who would cling to any potential scandal that would damage a damn liberal. These people aren't normal. This [expletive] manifests itself in many ways. As Seinfeld said, people are the worst. The vast majority of people I know don't even know that there is a "false flag" theory from Newton. It's GD running joke to just randomly say 9/11 was an inside job. There are plenty of normal people out there that don't buy into this nonsense, they just aren't vocal about not being dumb and crazy. The dumb and crazy are loud and proud so you here it. But that doesn't make them the norm.

We all know the type of people you're talking about; what I'm talking about are people who are seemingly normal in every other way and then randomly drop something like "I'm not going to get a flu shot because the government puts chemicals in them" like it's just this everyday fact of life. It used to be, yeah, people who bought into that sort of thing so completely were usually up and down paranoid, but now it just seems like there's a lot of people who basically grew up with it as background noise and they've glommed on to aspects on conspiracy theories as if they were facts, but it didn't wholly dominate their outlook on life like with the typical conspiracy theorist.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am

OleMissCub wrote:Just released pic of Charon. Scientists have labeled the dark area at the top as "Mordor"

I was watching coverage on the Science Channel last night and, good Lord, that's a bunch of smiling awkwardness, that bunch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 am

Stannis wrote:Have you ever read Behold, A Pale Horse?

Pretty much the most amazing bat [expletive] crazy conspiracy theory ever thought up. William S. Cooper actually thought that the Galileo space probe was armed with enough weapons-grade plutonium as fuel to ignite the atmosphere of Jupiter and cause it to become a second sun, because, you know, the first Bush is a member of the Illuminati and knows that the global cooling is real, not global warming. So another ice age gets avoided.

Back in my bookselling days that was one of the most stolen books a store or library could carry. And the people that would ask for it typically would never buy it and would just huddle in a corner for hours obsessively poring over it.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Stannis wrote:Have you ever read Behold, A Pale Horse?

Back in my bookselling days that was one of the most stolen books a store or library could carry. And the people that would ask for it typically would never buy it and would just huddle in a corner for hours obsessively poring over it.

At least his boogeymen had a clear cut motive. I'll give him that.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:52 am

Also, JFK's driver was the real shooter, it's apparently very clear in another video taken from the other side of the street that's never surfaced or something.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:59 am

Stannis wrote:Also, JFK's driver was the real shooter, it's apparently very clear in another video taken from the other side of the street that's never surfaced or something.

That or the idea or he was accidentallyonpurpose shot in the head by a Secret Service agent in a followup car with a machine gun are my favorite kooky theories.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:17 am

ctcf wrote:
David wrote:
ctcf wrote:Mountains as tall as the Rockies and quite possibly made predominately out of water-based ice. That is some crazy stuff right there.

predominantly*

Holy crap dunno what happened there.

you forgot the n
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 am

and added an e

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am

he's all mixed up
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:08 am

Yeah who has that kinda time?

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:22 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:We all know the type of people you're talking about; what I'm talking about are people who are seemingly normal in every other way and then randomly drop something like "I'm not going to get a flu shot because the government puts chemicals in them" like it's just this everyday fact of life. It used to be, yeah, people who bought into that sort of thing so completely were usually up and down paranoid, but now it just seems like there's a lot of people who basically grew up with it as background noise and they've glommed on to aspects on conspiracy theories as if they were facts, but it didn't wholly dominate their outlook on life like with the typical conspiracy theorist.

One of my coworkers got a puppy a few months ago and told us that the dog would usually bark at black people when he'd take the dog out. So we of course would joke that the dog was racist. A few weeks ago we were talking about dogs with another person and I joked again about the guy's dog barking at black people and the third guy laughs at the joke but then says, completely seriously, "but sometimes that can be a good thing." He then repeated what he said a few seconds later, as if we hadn't heard him the first time. That wasn't awkward at all.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 am

soccer10k wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:We all know the type of people you're talking about; what I'm talking about are people who are seemingly normal in every other way and then randomly drop something like "I'm not going to get a flu shot because the government puts chemicals in them" like it's just this everyday fact of life. It used to be, yeah, people who bought into that sort of thing so completely were usually up and down paranoid, but now it just seems like there's a lot of people who basically grew up with it as background noise and they've glommed on to aspects on conspiracy theories as if they were facts, but it didn't wholly dominate their outlook on life like with the typical conspiracy theorist.

One of my coworkers got a puppy a few months ago and told us that the dog would usually bark at black people when he'd take the dog out. So we of course would joke that the dog was racist. A few weeks ago we were talking about dogs with another person and I joked again about the guy's dog barking at black people and the third guy laughs at the joke but then says, completely seriously, "but sometimes that can be a good thing." He then repeated what he said a few seconds later, as if we hadn't heard him the first time. That wasn't awkward at all.

When I was still living in Chicago I had a friend who was seemingly as liberal/Left leaning as they come, and several of us were just grabbing some drinks after work and talking about how a particularly bad weekend of shootings in Chicago had been in the national news, and this guy out of nowhere suddenly drops, "yeah, I've been seeing more and more of them up on the north side bringing the violence with them. It really seems like we're about to be in a war between good and evil."

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:27 pm

I was at my daughter's swim meet last weekend and a little Muslim girl on another team was wearing full-coverage clothing instead of a normal racing suit. The parents of my other daughter's best friend lean over to me and say "think of how much faster she'd be if she wasn't Muslim". :blush:

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Image

ahahahahhaahhaha
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:31 pm

Earth 2.0

http://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-jus ... net-2015-7

1400 light years away....time to get that warp drive workin'.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 pm

I guess I'm a follower of the Fermi paradox as regards alien life. I certainly believe that alien life exists/existed in the Cosmos, but I doubt that earthlings will ever encounter or even discover evidence of alien life.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm

OleMissCub wrote:I guess I'm a follower of the Fermi paradox as regards alien life. I certainly believe that alien life exists/existed in the Cosmos, but I doubt that earthlings will ever encounter or even discover evidence of alien life.

It always freaks me out when I think about extinction events that we can't see coming. Impacts, gama rays, etc.
BTFU!

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:33 pm

Smack wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:I guess I'm a follower of the Fermi paradox as regards alien life. I certainly believe that alien life exists/existed in the Cosmos, but I doubt that earthlings will ever encounter or even discover evidence of alien life.

It always freaks me out when I think about extinction events that we can't see coming. Impacts, gama rays, etc.

That's why we gotta start space colonization....need eggs in more than one basket.

Return to “Social”