The Science Thread

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5989
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 am
Location: ECU

Re: The Science Thread

Postby weis21 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:58 pm

OleMissCub wrote:holy smoke balls. A reusable rocket that takes tourists up and then comes back down and lands itself. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pillaOxGCo

Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Science Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Image
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 12480
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:27 am
Location: da Salish Sea

Re: The Science Thread

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:11 am

Bravoooo
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:18 pm

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/gorgeous-vide ... 1746148755

The Project Apollo Archive on Flickr is truly one of the great treasures available on the Internet. You can easily get lost in the stunning imagery and wonder about what exists beyond our world. It’s also an incredible resource for artists to turn those static pictures into gorgeous videos with 3D effects.


Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:23 pm

PLUTO! The dirty, dirty poseur-planet:

http://gizmodo.com/these-are-the-best-p ... 1746305388

NASA has just received the first batch of the sharpest images of Pluto captured during the July flyby—and they’re incredible. Are you ready to go cross-country skiing and ice climbing three billion miles from home? Because Pluto’s terrain is a frozen wonderland.

The images below are part of a sequence captured by New Horizons’ Long Range Reconnaissance Imager about 15 minutes from its closest approach to Pluto on July 14th, from a distance of just 10,000 miles (17,000 kilometers) above the dwarf planet’s surface. Together, these images form a 50 mile-wide strip that begins northwest of Pluto’s “heart” region, traversing the icy al-Idrisi mountains, and finally taking us on a tour of Sputnik Planum’s patterned plains.


https://youtu.be/B0xkupKwjfM

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm
Location: the final frontier

Re: The Science Thread

Postby seanimal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:54 pm

that apollo flickr is an actual goldmine. i might print and frame a few of those photos in a fit of domesticated dweebness

new horizons is badass, and those pluto images are really great. but for my money, i still think cassini has the best mission going. lately it's been pretending to be a squirrel around titan and snapping some more infrared pics

Image

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/image ... ageId=5278

for reference, titan looks like this to the naked eye:

Image
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:20 am

The video of the SpaceX launch/landing last night was so much fun to watch. The crowd...the excitement from the ground crew. Was hard not to get swept up in all that. Really cool moment.

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm
Location: the final frontier

Re: The Science Thread

Postby seanimal » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Banedon wrote:The video of the SpaceX launch/landing last night was so much fun to watch. The crowd...the excitement from the ground crew. Was hard not to get swept up in all that. Really cool moment.


agreed. landing the first stage booster was pretty badass
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

User avatar
seanimal
stats enthousiast
Posts: 8749
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm
Location: the final frontier

Re: The Science Thread

Postby seanimal » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:53 pm

oh man, this gif of a weather balloon popping in the stratosphere is amazing

http://i.imgur.com/VToKL8f.gifv
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Angry Gamergate guy writes article on breitbart.com. He really, really hates Neil Degrasse Tyson

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/2 ... sse-tyson/

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:58 am

Rams Defensive End William Hayes:

“No, I don’t believe dinosaurs existed,” Hayes said last month. “Not even a little bit. With these bones, it’s crazy because man has never seen a dinosaur, we can agree on that, right? But we know exactly how to put these bones together? I believe there is more of a chance you will find a mermaid than you will a dinosaur because we find different species in the water all the time.

“I don’t understand how [Long] just believes in dinosaurs. That’s just crazy to me. We know they died. We know what a T-Rex eats? That don’t sound crazy to you? We have never seen a dinosaur before but we know exactly where every single rib [was] and which rib goes where. That’s crazy to me.”


SCIENCE!

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Science Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 am

Banedon wrote:Rams Defensive End William Hayes:

“No, I don’t believe dinosaurs existed,” Hayes said last month. “Not even a little bit. With these bones, it’s crazy because man has never seen a dinosaur, we can agree on that, right? But we know exactly how to put these bones together? I believe there is more of a chance you will find a mermaid than you will a dinosaur because we find different species in the water all the time.

“I don’t understand how [Long] just believes in dinosaurs. That’s just crazy to me. We know they died. We know what a T-Rex eats? That don’t sound crazy to you? We have never seen a dinosaur before but we know exactly where every single rib [was] and which rib goes where. That’s crazy to me.”


SCIENCE!

There's a whole lot of dumb in there, but it's a step up from Dexter Manley's illiteracy.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: The Science Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

Derwood wrote:Angry Gamergate guy writes article on breitbart.com. He really, really hates Neil Degrasse Tyson

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/2 ... sse-tyson/


I think that writer needs to go to Jelly school. They're obviously very jelly.
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:25 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Angry Gamergate guy writes article on breitbart.com. He really, really hates Neil Degrasse Tyson

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/2 ... sse-tyson/


I think that writer needs to go to Jelly school. They're obviously very jelly.


That writer is basically the founder of Gamergate, and is basically an all around horrible human.

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Role Player
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Thurman Merman » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 am

There's no "basically" about it. I know nothing about that person, but that article was full of awful things.

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:52 am

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am

Banedon wrote:Rams Defensive End William Hayes:

“No, I don’t believe dinosaurs existed,” Hayes said last month. “Not even a little bit. With these bones, it’s crazy because man has never seen a dinosaur, we can agree on that, right? But we know exactly how to put these bones together? I believe there is more of a chance you will find a mermaid than you will a dinosaur because we find different species in the water all the time.

“I don’t understand how [Long] just believes in dinosaurs. That’s just crazy to me. We know they died. We know what a T-Rex eats? That don’t sound crazy to you? We have never seen a dinosaur before but we know exactly where every single rib [was] and which rib goes where. That’s crazy to me.”


SCIENCE!


Free advertising for that Concussion movie.

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33783
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:32 am

Re: The Science Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:39 am

Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Angry Gamergate guy writes article on breitbart.com. He really, really hates Neil Degrasse Tyson

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/2 ... sse-tyson/


I think that writer needs to go to Jelly school. They're obviously very jelly.


That writer is basically the founder of Gamergate, and is basically an all around horrible human.


Oh jeez. Brianna Wu, then known as John Flynt, was a good friend of mine in college. For the life of me I will never understand why men cared that women were playing and creating games. When she first started posting on Facebook about the threats she was receiveing, I thought it was a joke or something. So crazy.
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:43 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:Angry Gamergate guy writes article on breitbart.com. He really, really hates Neil Degrasse Tyson

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/12/2 ... sse-tyson/


I think that writer needs to go to Jelly school. They're obviously very jelly.


That writer is basically the founder of Gamergate, and is basically an all around horrible human.


Oh jeez. Brianna Wu, then known as John Flynt, was a good friend of mine in college. For the life of me I will never understand why men cared that women were playing and creating games. When she first started posting on Facebook about the threats she was receiveing, I thought it was a joke or something. So crazy.


Yeah, Brianna was definitely one of the high profile targets.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: The Science Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Image


Return to “Social”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest