RASSLIN

davell
Superstar

Re: RASSLIN

Postby davell » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:43 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:Ran into Randy Orton on the lake yesterday. He is a large man.

He's got a horrible rep from fan accounts I've seen online, but he stopped and took pictures with a buddy of mines kids.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 am

davell wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:Ran into Randy Orton on the lake yesterday. He is a large man.

He's got a horrible rep from fan accounts I've seen online, but he stopped and took pictures with a buddy of mines kids.

Oh yeah, he was a tremendous ass.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
davell wrote:

Oh yeah, he was a tremendous ass.

What'd he do?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:18 am

By the way, just curious.....What's the best stuff you guys remember seeing live as kids or even since?

I remember being in Asheville for the 6th match between Nikita Koloff and Magnum TA for the US Title, where Magnum tied it up at 3, before losing the 7th one.

I was at Nitro when the NWO introduced X-PAC, which was kind of big back then.

I was in Norfolk, at Nitro, standing outside waiting to get in, when DX drove up in tanks.

I saw Dusty use the "Dusty finish" twice on himself, to give himself the World Title only before Tommy Young woke up and DQ'd Flair. The 2nd time, I honestly thought it'd stick, as the entire locker room of good guys made it out to celebrate for a good 10 minutes with him before Young woke up, grabbed the belt, handed it to Flair(who was still recovering on the floor) and saw Flair jump up, let out a Whooooo, threatened to kick the ass of the 80 year old woman at ringside who held up granny panties all show, then strutted to the back. With the good guys just staring at him.

Saw Flair defend against Dusty multiple times, Ronnie Garvin, Hawk, Ricky Morton, Nikita, Luger, Windham, Steamboat, Funk, Vader, maybe a few more I can't remember.

Anyone else got some good live memories? Only WWE show I ever saw was the night Punk returned and confronted Cena, who had just beat Mysterio for the belt.(Only live title change I ever saw)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:04 am

Saw a few small WWF shows in the 80's. I touched George The Animal Steele's back as he ran to the ring

Saw one taped show around 1991 for WCW. It was actually two weeks worth of shows taped in one night. Featured Lex Luger, the Midnight Express, Rock n Roll Express and others

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 pm

davell wrote:By the way, just curious.....What's the best stuff you guys remember seeing live as kids or even since?

Chris Jericho's debut at Raw in Rosemont back in 1999. The Horizon went bananas when the millennium clock countdown hit and Jericho's name came on the Titantron.

Cactus Jack's WWF debut, where he beat up Triple H and fake Mankind.

Rock and Jericho's rhyming contest where they did nothing but trash Stephanie McMahon and Rhyno.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:25 am

ECW Heatwave 99 where the Dudleys tried to start a riot with the crowd.

Bret Hart's first WCW match, against Ric Flair, at Souled Out. Also in that event Nash dropped Big Show on his head during a powerbomb and almost legit killed him.

Brock Lesnar "breaking" Triple H's arm at RAW.

More recently, Cena vs. Owens II at MITB.

The first show I attended was a WCW house show, probably in 95 or 96. It was Savage vs. Flair in a cage for the main event.
Do it for Kent.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Maybe I've glorified it in my mind over the years, but I think Flair/Savage may have been the most lopsidedly awesome feud of all time.

Flair beats him for the title. Flair beats the [expletive] out of his dad. Flair takes Elizabeth from him. Flair beats him in a loser leaves town match to finish things off, at the end of which Savage is still trying to get to Flair, but being held by security. Flair, on the other hand, is slapping Savage, fists up, saying "come on" and whooooooing at him until he's taken out of the arena.

I'm assuming I'm missing something, but that's how I remember that going.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Brock's hometown and all.....Still a bit surprising to see Taker get booed like that. Maybe this is it for him? Have Brock finish him off now completely? Seems a bit too unbelievable to have Taker's old ass beat Lesnar.

Maybe Taker is going to have a small run as a heel though? Taker/Sting at SS maybe? Then let Taker go back to face for his finale at WM.

Anyway, Lesnar losing to him doesn't seem realistic and a Taker loss doesn't make sense either. I think they backed themselves into a hole here.

El oh El at Ziggler forgetting to spray tan his back tonight.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am

I don't know if that's just how he looks now or what, but Taker was pulling off deranged old man really well last night.

Was last night the first time they hyped up the low blow aspect from BG?
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:11 am

I think so. Guess they felt Brock was getting cheered no matter what and may as well attempt to make Taker a heel for this.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm glad he was getting booed, because HOT TAKE ALERT I've never really cared for the Undertaker. Respect his legacy and all that jazz, but pretty much any match he had not involving HBK didn't do it for me. With the exception of his match with Kamala at Survivor Series 92, that was the first PPV I ever got and the idea of a casket match blew my mind
Do it for Kent.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm

I'm with you. He's never been one of my favorites either. I get why he IS for a lot of guys, but he's never been a guy I truly got behind. Best big guy of all time? Sure, no issue saying that. I've just liked other top guys much more.

If he's sticking around though after SS, it seems the opportune time to get him and Sting into a match. But I'm afraid they'll have him beat Brock somehow, to give them a 3rd match.

The scenario I guess I hope plays out is Brock wins but Taker somehow beats him up afterwards enough that he doesn't lose much from the defeat and Sting comes in for the save? Far from perfect and I'd be happier if this was just Taker's last match ever. But since it seems he's sticking around, I guess this is what I'm hoping for.

Hell, align him with the Wyatt Family. At least give someone that's a full time guy a rub somehow, instead of keeping him involved with part timers.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

rocket wrote:I'm glad he was getting booed, because HOT TAKE ALERT I've never really cared for the Undertaker. Respect his legacy and all that jazz, but pretty much any match he had not involving HBK didn't do it for me. With the exception of his match with Kamala at Survivor Series 92, that was the first PPV I ever got and the idea of a casket match blew my mind

Taker was always about the theatrics, and his were better than everyone else's. As far as actual matches, yeah...not always the best. His best ones were with Mick Foley, because of Foley being a crazy person and taking insane bumps.

For me though, it was Yokozuna v Undertaker that was mind blowing to me. Jump to about 19 minutes here.....

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jyc9t

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:42 pm

rocket wrote:I'm glad he was getting booed, because HOT TAKE ALERT I've never really cared for the Undertaker. Respect his legacy and all that jazz, but pretty much any match he had not involving HBK didn't do it for me. With the exception of his match with Kamala at Survivor Series 92, that was the first PPV I ever got and the idea of a casket match blew my mind

I've found the streak matches pretty overrated, but they're still pretty objectively good. I won't say I never cared for him, but the reverence paid towards him is really [expletive] annoying. Most protected guy since Bruno.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Who's been given the [expletive] gimmicks that still found their way into being a main eventer?

Is Kane the best example? Obviously WWE didnt want Daniel Bryan in that spot, but they didn't give him a flat out ridiculous gimmick he had to overcome either though.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:04 pm

I've never been a huge Taker fan either. Definitely respect the hell out of him, but he was never close to being one of my "favorites" growing up. To his credit though, he did legit scare the crap out of me when I was younger.

On another note, was Cena's promo last night the best non-Heyman promo this year? I [expletive] loved it.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:08 pm

It was great for sure, he's phenomenal as a face on the mic, which is just harder than doing it as a heel.

If I was critiquing it though, I'd say he may have just flat out buried poor Seth, who I unfortunately like. Not sure what the higher ups think of his title reign, but Cena sure did take a massive [expletive] on it.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 pm

if it weren't for his 2 "end of an era" mania matches with triple h, i'd probably have a higher opinion of the guy. those were among my least favorite matches ever...something about them trying to re-create the magic with taker's first mania match with hbk, but falling way way short, only to later pretend those matches were just as good. and now whenever he has a match, we have to be subjected to his goofy "stunned" face after his opponent kicks out of the first tombstone.

and also, of course, the american bad ass biker gimmick was awful.
Do it for Kent.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:09 pm

rocket wrote:if it weren't for his 2 "end of an era" mania matches with triple h, i'd probably have a higher opinion of the guy. those were among my least favorite matches ever...something about them trying to re-create the magic with taker's first mania match with hbk, but falling way way short, only to later pretend those matches were just as good. and now whenever he has a match, we have to be subjected to his goofy "stunned" face after his opponent kicks out of the first tombstone.

and also, of course, the american bad ass biker gimmick was awful.

yes yes yes yes yes

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:06 am

I don't think anyone will deny the "American Bad Ass" gimmick was a massive misstep.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:38 am

davell wrote:Who's been given the [expletive] gimmicks that still found their way into being a main eventer?

Is Kane the best example? Obviously WWE didnt want Daniel Bryan in that spot, but they didn't give him a flat out ridiculous gimmick he had to overcome either though.

Didn't want Bryan in what spot? He had a rocket on his back from day 1.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:
davell wrote:Who's been given the [expletive] gimmicks that still found their way into being a main eventer?

Didn't want Bryan in what spot? He had a rocket on his back from day 1.

I don't think they wanted Bryan in a ME position. Solid mid carder who'd hold secondary titles is what I would have thought they saw him as.

But I'm a guy that wouldn't have said winning the World Title for Smackdown qualifies you as a Main Eventer either.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't buy it, he was 2nd to Cena in the Nexus match he debuted in, won MITB less than 1 year later, then fought for the WWE title on 3 consecutive PPVs after dropping the WHC.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 pm

You may be right. I need to wiki his WWE career, I guess. Was there a giant fan backlash right off the bat for him? When he got fired for choking that dude? I guess it's possible they put him on the fast track, if there was immediately. There probably was, I just don't remember it.

I thought Barrett was going to be the true standout of the group. With Ryback, Tarver, Otunga, Gabriel, and Bryan all becoming solid mid card types. I am shocked Slater and Young are still employed.

Return to “Social”