Podcast Thread

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Re: Podcast Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:33 am

wolf stansson wrote:Apropos of Earwolf being great, I got into Hollywood Handbook because Tom Scharpling was on and it might be the best podcast.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/tom-scha ... se-friend/

Hayes and Sean applaud the Suicide Squad movie for a brave choice. Then TOM SCHARPLING returns to correct the mistakes of his infamous first appearance on the show, speak on Monk, do the Popcorn Gallery, and debut a potential new podcast with a hot new co-host.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:19 am

Fantastic 200th episode of Improv4Humans today. Brett Gelman calling Barney's to complain about his LOVERRRRRRRR being followed in the store was great.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 pm

In spite of everyone hating on it, I've been listening to the Undisclosed podcast (multiple trips driving between St. Louis and Wichita leaves a LOT of dead time driving). It's definitely very obviously slanted toward Adnan, but there was an interesting tidbit I heard today. Apparently the initial bail hearing was screwed up because someone, intentionally or not, put his birth date down wrong on the paperwork (May 1980 instead of 1981), making him a year older and, at 18, eligible for the death penalty in Maryland and automatically made him ineligible for bail. They then went down a rabbit hole of things that easily could have gone differently if he had been able to be bailed out and not been sitting in a cell indefinitely, but I'm not entirely convinced he'd have gotten bail even if there hadn't been a screw up.
I like beer.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:EW Scripps is buying Earwolf/Mid-Roll.

So Earwolf/Wolfpop are going paywall; sounds like they're waiting until the Howl app is also available on Android, but everything older than 6 months old at that point will only be available via the site or the app if you have a monthly $5 subscription. Apparently there will be all kinds of subscription-only content; exclusive shows, "mini-series" and live shows and the like.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

So Earwolf/Wolfpop are going paywall; sounds like they're waiting until the Howl app is also available on Android, but everything older than 6 months old at that point will only be available via the site or the app if you have a monthly $5 subscription. Apparently there will be all kinds of subscription-only content; exclusive shows, "mini-series" and live shows and the like.

Like Maron though with current stuff free
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Like Maron though with current stuff free

The list of exclusive stuff looks pretty damn good; special mini-series by Lapkus and Aziz Ansari and a ton of unheard Superego content. I'd be willing to subscribe for all of the live shows alone, since those were only available to hear if you bought them individual or the tour packages. Looks like they're trying to make this the Netflix of podcasts.

Plus they'll finally be doing Mike Detective season 2 and it'll only be available that way. Holy [expletive], that show was great.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Plus they'll finally be doing Mike Detective season 2 and it'll only be available that way. Holy [expletive], that show was great.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:18 pm

also, earwolf is preposterously high on my list of things that regularly bring me joy. if they need five dollars a month to continue/improve, it would be pretty ridiculous of me to refuse.

(that said i haven't listened to the cbb that announces this yet so maybe i will and then hate this but whatever)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:37 am

treebird wrote:also, earwolf is preposterously high on my list of things that regularly bring me joy. if they need five dollars a month to continue/improve, it would be pretty ridiculous of me to refuse.

(that said i haven't listened to the cbb that announces this yet so maybe i will and then hate this but whatever)

The episode is pretty damn funny; PFT clearly could not give less of a [expletive] about promoting it and it leads to a very flustered Scott, which always cracks me up.

But yeah, for as much quality content as they put out I have no problem finally paying a little bit for some extras. Plus the last 6 month's worth of shows always being free is still an enormous amount of content for anyone to listen to.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:42 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
treebird wrote:also, earwolf is preposterously high on my list of things that regularly bring me joy. if they need five dollars a month to continue/improve, it would be pretty ridiculous of me to refuse.

The episode is pretty damn funny; PFT clearly could not give less of a [expletive] about promoting it and it leads to a very flustered Scott, which always cracks me up.

But yeah, for as much quality content as they put out I have no problem finally paying a little bit for some extras. Plus the last 6 month's worth of shows always being free is still an enormous amount of content for anyone to listen to.

If I could get my wife to listen to these shows I would be willing to pay..., for the content. There's just so much content out there right now. I feel like I made a break through when I explained the origins of Hey Nong Man after she asked where the hell I got my latest shirt.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 am

I already donate to max fun, used to pay for Never Not Funny, donated to WFMU on behalf of The Best Show, pay for How Was Your Week premium and now I will subscribe to Howl premium, but I sort of resent the argument they're making that they want to push podcasting to the next level by introducing it to new audiences, making it a viable medium to earn a living in, etc and that to do that we need to pay. It's totally legit, but it's counter intuitive for me as a listener.

You're essentially telling me that this thing I've loved for like half a decade, which I've gotten for free by the way, needs my financial backing to get to a point where I have to pay for it some more. Let's make this industry a thing! It already was a thing and I got it for free. Morally I'm happy to pay because it gives me hours of entertainment, but it's a little strange how it's being framed to consumers to empathize with their content creators in order to distance themselves from the product further. I think people like Scott Aukerman, Lauren Lapkus, PFT and Andy Daly should be rich as hell because they're super talented, original and deserve commercial success and recognition, but it just seems odd that we're participating in helping a medium that was great specifically because it was accessible and intimate become less accessible and intimate.

Anyways, it's inevitable that podcasting will commercialize and I'm not a piece of [expletive] cheapo, so I'm definitely subscribing to the premium. It's just clear that the golden age of populist podcasting and the comedy boom it created is coming to an end.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am

Yeah, though if anything gets too big it needs support to survive at that level. Plus they only got as big as they did because they were launched on the back of a dying radio station, so it's not like CBB and Earwolf really just grew from the ground up; it's kind of a miracle they grew and survived as well as they did after the radio station folded. I think it mostly comes down to being able to continually improve the quality of the shows; they've moved and remodeled and improved their recording capabilities repeatedly over time, and having some revenue from this just makes it easier to keep doing that.

Besides, 6 months of content is a TON of free content for users to wade through. Plus things like Analyze Phish and U Talkin' U2 2 Me? and the like will stay free for their whole runs because of their limited run nature.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 pm

Today on Hollywood Handbook, they ask Julie Klausner to help them write their Dave Matthews Band B sides Broadway musical and it's the funniest thing heard in a really long time.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:20 pm

the bitter beer face guy stuff on i4h today was incredible.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:52 am

wompler's belated birthday womptacular

http://earwolf.com/episode/womptacular-2015/

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:59 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:wompler's belated birthday womptacular

http://earwolf.com/episode/womptacular-2015/

It was everything I hoped it would be and more. Brian Huskey was easily the MVP.

Bonus:

https://youtu.be/R9LfPx9MDZc

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:36 am

that was amazing

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Bonus:

https://youtu.be/R9LfPx9MDZc

SO GREAT

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:06 pm

i can't believe how good the latest hollywood handbook is. scharpling is just such a perfect, perfect match for those guys.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:36 am

Daly on HDTGM and Urbaniak on Lauren Lapkus' show were nice treats the day after maybe the best episode of Review so far.

I tried a couple episodes of HH since you guys brought it up. It did not go well. I don't think it's for me.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:06 am

My uncle recently recorded a podcast of one of his many talks about the Vietnam War and the music that's associated with it.

I think this link should work:

http://www.newseuminstitute.org/events- ... -era|13272

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:11 pm

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/colinary-journey/

In non-Cubs but still awesome news comedy bang bang b-b-b-b-b-onus episode includes Eagles of Death Metal.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 pm

It is the golden age of content

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:15 am

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:50 am

Heck yeah.

Return to “Social”