Dogs are great

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Dogs are great

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm

But Rasputin was tossed in a sack and drowned in a river, you monster.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:19 pm

so they say
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

I say it all the time. I feel bad for people who don't like dogs.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
The Logan wrote:
seanimal wrote:that's an awesome name, i love extravagant dog names

Buddy of mine had a Yorkie named Commissioner Gordon. Always thought that was the best ridiculous dog name.

We had a cat when we were little we named Captain Gary. That was more Imaginative than our first dog, named Blackie. Because he was black. That was ill advised.

When I was 7 my dad found a dog with a Hardee's cup stuffed on her head in the ditch outside our house one morning. We took her in and loved her instantly. After a few days when it came time to decide on a name, my sister and I fought about who got to name her. So my mom decided to let us write down 2 choices each we had for the name and she would draw from a hat. It was a black dog and so my first choice was "Midnight" and my second was "Waggy" because she wagged her tail a lot. I can't recall my sister's choices but no doubt they were cliche and boring so they really don't matter. Waggy was drawn, it pissed off my sister, I was ecstatic, and for 25 years I took so much pride in the absurd but glorious name "Waggy". A few weeks ago my mom said she drew "Midnight" but didn't like the name and thought Waggy was cute and knew how much the dog and I bonded instantly. I think it made me love her more.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:40 pm

I love that story.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:50 am

devious mother stories!
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:51 am

great story
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:48 am

weis21 wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
The Logan wrote:
seanimal wrote:that's an awesome name, i love extravagant dog names

Buddy of mine had a Yorkie named Commissioner Gordon. Always thought that was the best ridiculous dog name.

We had a cat when we were little we named Captain Gary. That was more Imaginative than our first dog, named Blackie. Because he was black. That was ill advised.

When I was 7 my dad found a dog with a Hardee's cup stuffed on her head in the ditch outside our house one morning. We took her in and loved her instantly. After a few days when it came time to decide on a name, my sister and I fought about who got to name her. So my mom decided to let us write down 2 choices each we had for the name and she would draw from a hat. It was a black dog and so my first choice was "Midnight" and my second was "Waggy" because she wagged her tail a lot. I can't recall my sister's choices but no doubt they were cliche and boring so they really don't matter. Waggy was drawn, it pissed off my sister, I was ecstatic, and for 25 years I took so much pride in the absurd but glorious name "Waggy". A few weeks ago my mom said she drew "Midnight" but didn't like the name and thought Waggy was cute and knew how much the dog and I bonded instantly. I think it made me love her more.

Beautiful
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:14 pm

waggy is a great name, good job weismom
Do it for Kent.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:19 pm

So how have any of you dealt with an increasingly nervous dog? We have an older labradoodle (she's 8) and we have noticed in the last 2-3 months or so she is just REALLY agitated/nervous when she figures out someone is about to leave the house. She hasn't typically been like this outside of the usual, "aw, I'm a dog and I'm sad to see you go," but every day when I start getting ready for work she's pacing around, panting real hard, seemingly trying to get in my way so I can't go and just generally acting really neurotic. She just went to the vet about a month ago and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her health-wise, but I'm somewhat worried about her just being SO stressed out on daily basis every time someone leaves the house. Any particular way I should approach this? Would a Thundershirt potentially help?

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:35 pm

I have no advice, but I'll just point out how my two stupid monsters act when I leave. One immediately runs into the bathroom and lays down, the other gets in front of me and jumps and bites my hand
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So how have any of you dealt with an increasingly nervous dog? We have an older labradoodle (she's 8) and we have noticed in the last 2-3 months or so she is just REALLY agitated/nervous when she figures out someone is about to leave the house. She hasn't typically been like this outside of the usual, "aw, I'm a dog and I'm sad to see you go," but every day when I start getting ready for work she's pacing around, panting real hard, seemingly trying to get in my way so I can't go and just generally acting really neurotic. She just went to the vet about a month ago and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her health-wise, but I'm somewhat worried about her just being SO stressed out on daily basis every time someone leaves the house. Any particular way I should approach this? Would a Thundershirt potentially help?

My dog acts the same way when she sees me grab my suitcase. I tried one of those Thundershirts, and it didn't do a damn thing.

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:18 pm

my pup walks very slowly out of the room, looking back ever so often to give my those puppy eyes.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:I have no advice, but I'll just point out how my two stupid monsters act when I leave. One immediately runs into the bathroom and lays down, the other gets in front of me and jumps and bites my hand

The other day mine jumped up out of nowhere as I was grabbing my bag to go and put her paws on my shoulders. I don't know how I didn't fall on my ass.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Bob Sanders wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:So how have any of you dealt with an increasingly nervous dog? We have an older labradoodle (she's 8) and we have noticed in the last 2-3 months or so she is just REALLY agitated/nervous when she figures out someone is about to leave the house. She hasn't typically been like this outside of the usual, "aw, I'm a dog and I'm sad to see you go," but every day when I start getting ready for work she's pacing around, panting real hard, seemingly trying to get in my way so I can't go and just generally acting really neurotic. She just went to the vet about a month ago and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her health-wise, but I'm somewhat worried about her just being SO stressed out on daily basis every time someone leaves the house. Any particular way I should approach this? Would a Thundershirt potentially help?

My dog acts the same way when she sees me grab my suitcase. I tried one of those Thundershirts, and it didn't do a damn thing.

Yeah, she used to act like this sometimes if suitcases were out, but now it's every day if someone is just leaving to run an errand or go to work. Please don't be going crazy, dog!

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Bob Sanders wrote:

Yeah, she used to act like this sometimes if suitcases were out, but now it's every day if someone is just leaving to run an errand or go to work. Please don't be going crazy, dog!

Mine has always been great about going straight to her kennel when I leave in the morning during the school year. When the kids are home, she doesn't give a [expletive] about me when I leave unless I have that suitcase.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:05 pm

We don't crate her or anything, so even before whenever someone would leave her alone in the house she'd run to the top floor right away and to the office at the corner of the house to look out the window and watch the car pull away. Dammit, dogs; so lovable, yet so heartbreaking.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Our dog always had separation anxiety(she once ripped a memory foam mattress pad to pieces while I was at work), but in the last couple years it's gotten a bit worse. Probably because one or both of my wife and I are home 99% of the time once I started working from home. I don't have any great suggestions(we haven't really tried much aside from crating her while we're both gone), but I don't think your pooch is an outlier.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Crate them. Dogs love the cozy confines.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Little Ann as I was trying to pack for a 3 month trip abroad.
ImageImage

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:03 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Crate them. Dogs love the cozy confines.

We crated ours as a pup. Then we put her bed under a bench at the foot of our bed.

When we put risers on the bed frame she started crawling underneath the bed. Just got a new bed with an adjustable base so she's probably not gonna like that.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:48 pm

So with crating we were wary just because she is 8 now and it was something she was never raised with. Is crating something you can just start doing or did they need to have to adapt to it when they were younger? Fortunately she's not tearing up the house or going to the bathroom or anything like that, and we have 3 beds for her around the house that she's always good about using whether we're home or not. I'm mostly just worried from a stress standpoint and would be concerned that introducing her to crating would just add to it. Plus she's huge, so we would need a big-ass crate.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So with crating we were wary just because she is 8 now and it was something she was never raised with. Is crating something you can just start doing or did they need to have to adapt to it when they were younger? Fortunately she's not tearing up the house or going to the bathroom or anything like that, and we have 3 beds for her around the house that she's always good about using whether we're home or not. I'm mostly just worried from a stress standpoint and would be concerned that introducing her to crating would just add to it. Plus she's huge, so we would need a big-ass crate.

I don't know the answer but I presume she will take to it in short order. We crated as a pup then she roamed for a couple years. A few things got damaged and then she didn't take kindly to my wife getting pregnant and it's been crate ever since. It is her safe zone and she goes to it on her own. I know a person who began crating a 2 year old rescue that never did it before and it worked immediately to calm him at night and during day.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:20 am

Crating is definitely the way to go, just make sure you don't also use it as punishment for when they're bad, it needs to be a positive place. It's a little trying at first, but after a few weeks my dog would open the cage door herself if she saw me putting on my shoes, then wait patiently for her treat.
Do it for Kent.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:58 am

And seriously if you're worried about the size of the crate, just create some type of safe enclosed spot. Even if it's not a secure as a crate that doesn't sound like it's your goal. You just want to establish a safe, calming spot where she can go when she needs it- including when you are leaving. Plop one of her beds under a table with a table cloth draped over it. I bet she'll take to it and it will be her favorite spot.

With either route, when doing training, along with treats be sure to establish a key word. For instance when we say bedtime ours knows exactly where to go. Just something easy that doesn't sound like any other command she may know.
Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Return to “Social”