Star Wars Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:37 am

Ryne Ween wrote:They should have left Han and Leia out of this. Ford was ok but Carrie fisher isn't. And when they had their scenes together it just rips you out of the movie.

You're wrong about everything

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:46 am

It was great. Felt like a early teen again. I understand some of Ryne Ween's criticism, but it seems like he was just looking for a reason to dislike the movie and is running with a few crumbs when the rest of the cake was so darn good.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

cl smooth
Starter

Postby cl smooth » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:21 am

viewing #2 is this morning at 9am.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:29 am

Splendid Splinter wrote:So.... do I need to watch a SW marathon or can I just go straight to the theater for VII?

If you've never seen the SW movies, or it's been a long time, watch the original trilogy. There's zero reason to watch the prequels.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:40 am

Spoiler: show
Saw it last night and halfway through realized it was nearly exactly like A New Hope. Once that happened, I had a hard time fully enjoying it. It just got really cheesy at some parts. Like whats the deal with the sexy voiced Darth Vaderess? Did she have any powers? Other than her super sexy voice, of course. And then when Han asked what to do with her, "do we have a trash compactor?" Or something and Finn replies "oh you know we do" was just a bit too self aware for my liking. Anyway... Ms. Vader.. She just seemed wholly useless and totally irrelevant. I felt like her character was more of a nod to Space Balls than Star Wars... And then Carrie Fisher... Oh man, what a disaster. I really really wish they killed her off. I couldn't stop snickering every scene she was in. It was just very predictable. The girl who played Keira Knightly playing a character named Rey was cute, though.

Yes, it was a "fun" movie but honestly I think people are severely overrating it. I'm looking forward to the next ones because I'm sure now the story can actually grow, but I doubt I'll have the urge to re watch his one much. Rip away, nerds!

Sowwy Derwood
Last edited by JennieGarthAlgar on Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:50 am

And nothing skin spoiler tags.....FFS

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:02 am

Aren't you nerds upset that this movie did nothing to explore or expand the Star Wars mythology that made this franchise different and unique? Lucas created an expansive world and mythos. Sure he didn't curate his ideas Ina responsible way, but at least he made an effort to create something different

This was a waste. It was an ok action movie. It was more like a transformers movie than an original Star Wars movie. The original trilogy had a cerebral element that this movie lacked. It also was so jammed up with nods to fans that it broke the 4th wall too many times in a distracting way.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:20 am

Derwood wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:They should have left Han and Leia out of this. Ford was ok but Carrie fisher isn't. And when they had their scenes together it just rips you out of the movie.

They could have exhumed Alec Guinness' remains and it would have had more presence than Carrie Fisher.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 am

Ryne Ween wrote:
Derwood wrote:

They could have exhumed Alec Guinness' remains and it would have had more presence than Carrie Fisher.

I bet you're a blast at parties.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:49 am

Ryne Ween wrote:Aren't you nerds upset that this movie did nothing to explore or expand the Star Wars mythology that made this franchise different and unique? Lucas created an expansive world and mythos. Sure he didn't curate his ideas Ina responsible way, but at least he made an effort to create something different

This was a waste. It was an ok action movie. It was more like a transformers movie than an original Star Wars movie. The original trilogy had a cerebral element that this movie lacked. It also was so jammed up with nods to fans that it broke the 4th wall too many times in a distracting way.

This movie was better than any of the original trilogy, IMO. Partially because it has the head start of building on the existing stories/universe, but also because the original trilogy is not terribly unique or cerebral. Maybe it was relative to movies in the late 70s/early 80s, but I don't grade on that curve. That's the worst part about your original hot take, not that you're terribly wrong(Star Wars gets overly romanticized more than any other movies ever, Indiana Jones is 2nd), but that you didn't have the good sense not to try to be a killjoy by carrying on about it before anyone could see the new movie and judge it on its merits. Then it came out and it was an actual improvement and you're still up in arms because you had your preconceived notion and there isn't going to be any changing your mind.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 am

Tim wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I bet you're a blast at parties.

You're assuming he's ever been invited to one?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:46 am

Reading here and elsewhere, I'm surprised more people aren't convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. When she was given Luke's lightsaber and told something like "Luke was drawn to it, just like his father before him," I thought they were pretty clearly indicating her relation to Luke and Vader.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:59 am

The original trilogy had a cerebral element that this movie lacked.

Oh god no. They are insipid if you approach them as intellectual pieces. They work fine as cultural touchstones and are fun special effects summer movies if you see them when they come out, but if you take out those two elements they are pure awful.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:12 pm

According to Box Office Mojo, Star Wars has already made $517 million worldwide. I believe that's roughly 19% of Avatar's total box office take, and they go there in 2 1/2 days, more or less.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:16 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
The original trilogy had a cerebral element that this movie lacked.

Oh god no. They are insipid if you approach them as intellectual pieces. They work fine as cultural touchstones and are fun special effects summer movies if you see them when they come out, but if you take out those two elements they are pure awful.

Yeah, they're incredibly simplistic films, and that why the original trilogy (mostly) works so well. One of the main problems of the prequels is how needlessly complicated they were. Saying the originals had a "cerebral element" is complete nonsense. I'd love to see him try and break that down.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:29 pm

There Mojo goes, talking about the prequels again

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Gilby wrote:
Reading here and elsewhere, I'm surprised more people aren't convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. When she was given Luke's lightsaber and told something like "Luke was drawn to it, just like his father before him," I thought they were pretty clearly indicating her relation to Luke and Vader.

That's clearly what they're wanting you to think for now.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:03 pm

OleMissCub wrote:There Mojo goes, talking about the prequels again

How they're not salvageable; trying to fix them or nitpick is just completely redundant when everything fails.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:There Mojo goes, talking about the prequels again

How they're not salvageable; trying to fix them or nitpick is just completely redundant when everything fails.

I thought they could have been improved significantly by compressing 1 and 2 into one movie, and stretching three out to two.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:37 pm

And completely re-writing and almost completely re-casting them, sure.

So, to sum up, they could be fixed if you made three completely different films. The end.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Anyone else checking out the Marvel SW comics I mentioned earlier? I picked up the main series and the Vader ones as part of an online deal and they're pretty great.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Listen, Carrie Fisher isn't winning any acting awards, but she wasn't distractingly bad. She was in like 2 scenes. I'm not sure what people expected; she's a 60 year old resistance General, not a 18 year old spitfire princess

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:07 pm

The Rey flashback sequence (when she touches the lightsaber) contains the voices of Frank Oz, Ewan McGregor, and Alec Guiness

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj ... ce-awakens

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:43 pm

I liked it but there was a tad too much familiarity with A New Hope to make it great.

Definitely excited to see where it goes now that Abrams has established this won't be a horrible abortion like Ep 1-3
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Derwood wrote:Listen, Carrie Fisher isn't winning any acting awards, but she wasn't distractingly bad. She was in like 2 scenes. I'm not sure what people expected; she's a 60 year old resistance General, not a 18 year old spitfire princess
and it's not like she was an up and coming Merle Streep in the first trilogy.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Return to “Social”