Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:30 pm

From the novelization

"It is you."

http://i.imgur.com/rv4TYMa.jpg

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:51 pm

All that really tells us is that Ren had an inclination as to who she was. I don't think it says anything about any family connection.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Details (so far) of the next 5 (FIVE) Star Wars Films

Spoiler: show
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Director: Gareth Edwards
Written by: Gary Whitta and Chris Weitz
Starring: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, and Alan Tudyk
Logline: Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters comes together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor’s rule.
Release: Dec. 16, 2016

(So, yes, a long full year. But given we had to wait a decade for The Force Awakens — or, depending on your feelings about the prequels, 32 years since Return of the Jedi — sitting back for just one year doesn’t seem all that bad … Plus, it’s then only about five months until …)

Star Wars: Episode VIII
Written and directed by Rian Johnson
Starring: Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley, Oscar Isaac (reportedly)
Release: May 26, 2017
Logline: Unknown

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo (working title)
Directors: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Written by: Lawrence and Jon Kasdan
Starring: Not yet announced
Logline: How young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley.
Release: May 25th, 2018

Star Wars: Episode IX
Director: Colin Trevorrow
Writer: Rian Johnson
Release: 2019

Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett
Director: Not yet announced
Writer: Not yet announced
Release: 2020 (reportedly)

So if all this goes according to plan, we’ll get five Star Wars films in four years … after getting “only” seven Star Wars films over 38 years. Not bad!

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Instead of a Boba Fett movie, how about an Obi-wan movie that takes place in between III and IV. McGregor would be about the right age too. He could try and foil the rising Empire in some way. I dunno. I would just like to see McGregor as Obi-Wan in a movie that is actually well made.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:31 pm

I'd definitely put the young Han highest among the spinoffs. I'd second the Obi Wan idea over either of the two that are getting made. I'd love a Jabba-centric movie, maybe involving Mara Jade.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:12 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Instead of a Boba Fett movie, how about an Obi-wan movie that takes place in between III and IV. McGregor would be about the right age too. He could try and foil the rising Empire in some way. I dunno. I would just like to see McGregor as Obi-Wan in a movie that is actually well made.

I don't know, a 2 hour movie about Obi-wan being a hermit in the deserts of Tatooine alone would strain my interest.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:35 pm

i think rogue one is a pretty inspired choice for a spinoff. obi-wan might be interesting, but then again, he has had quite a bit of screen time already. i'd love a lando calrissian movie
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:23 am

[expletive] Boba Fett. Just give me Star Wars: Bounty Hunters. Figure out a story where three bounty hunters (Fett, Greedoand maybe a droid like IG-88) have stories that intertwine.

scarey
All-Star

Postby scarey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:11 am

XZero77 wrote:Kylo Ren =/= Darth Vader, and he's obviously not supposed to. Kylo Ren is more on the level of Anakin Skywalker in Episode III, but less well trained. It seems like people are looking for too much symmetry here, expecting Kylo to be a fully formed villain as Vader (who ostensibly had a couple decades more dark side training than Kylo Ren) was in Episode IV. It's pretty clear that is not what Abrams & Co. were going for with the character.

It seems they want to develop him over the course of the three films. By and large, Vader was a static character from the beginning of episode IV up until the latter stages of Episode VI. He was much more pre-formed and advanced than Kylo Ren is supposed to be. It's not like he was this cool badass for the whole movie and then was inexplicably unable to kill Rey at the end. He was gradually coming unglued almost from the outset. Also remember, he didn't really want to kill Rey, either. He still needed her.

There is a theory floating around that Rey may have been one of Luke's trainees, prior to his abandoning his students and bugging out, but she can't or was made unable to remember. I don't necessarily believe this, but it would partially explain how she gets a grip on her powers so quickly. I guess we'll have to wait until 2017 to get more answers.

But as far as implausibility goes, the last fight isn't even the thing I find least plausible in the film. I found Rey's instantaneous ability to pilot the Millennium Falcon and outmaneuver trained Tie Fighter pilots less believable.

The reason she was so adept to piloting the Millennium Falcon was because The Force took over to help guide her in the same way it guided Luke when destroying the Death Star. I didn't realize this upon first viewing, but I noticed two things upon second viewing.

1. Right after the chase scene when Finn and Rey are patting each other on the back, Finn exclaims, "How did you do that!?", to emphasize how amazing what Rey just did was. Her reply is an excited and unsure, "I don't know!". It could be passed off as just excited dialogue... but then #2 sealed it for me.

2. The next time we see Ren and Snoke after the escape from Jakku, they are speaking and Snoke states, "There's been an awakening. Have you felt it?". It's pretty clear to me he's referring to Rey channeling the Force.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:59 pm

rey's hand-to-hand combat and pilot skills don't require much explanation for me. to the former, the idea that a staff-wielding female 19-year old living alone on a desert planet with a bunch of scoundrels and isn't some sort of sex slave is all the explanation i need to be ok with the idea of her being able to kick some ass out of the box. to the latter, i think hand-waving it away as a result of her channeling the force is probably enough, but she also clearly has a lot of knowledge about the complex machines of her time. she probably hot-dogs the [expletive] out of that speeder she has, but since this isn't a lucas film we aren't troubled with some ham-fisted speeder race over and through the dunes of jakku between her and her cgi-only scavenger friend
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm

OleMissCub wrote:From the novelization

"It is you."

http://i.imgur.com/rv4TYMa.jpg

Well, that shows what I know. This certainly doesn't prove that Rey is related to any of the old cast, and still I tend to think she probably isn't, but it makes that possibility more likely. At the very least, it's a pretty powerful suggestion that she has had some kind of training in the past.
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm

do the rest of the scenes with rey and kylo ren deviate from the book? that piece of dialogue was def not in the movie, so i'm wondering if kylo ren acknowledges her force abilities earlier in the book

the guy at lucasfilm who is in charge of continuity or whatever stated that the kylo ren betrayal happens well after rey is abandoned on jakku. to me, that means that she wasn't a student and wasn't spared by kylo ren, and probably dispells the notion that he knows her personally

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Early versions of Ren (when she was known as Kira) had her as a gear head who built her own ship out of the spare parts of junked out ships. The idea of her as a pilot filtered through to the final draft without the backstory. I don't think we are supposed to believe that this is the first time she's ever flown

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 am

Sure, but, uh, how has she flown? She's a penniless orphan. Who's going to give her a chance to fly?
We are doomed.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 am

Careless wrote:Sure, but, uh, how has she flown? She's a penniless orphan. Who's going to give her a chance to fly?

How does she own a speeder if she's penniless?

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:47 am

Derwood wrote:
Careless wrote:Sure, but, uh, how has she flown? She's a penniless orphan. Who's going to give her a chance to fly?

How does she own a speeder if she's penniless?

Yes, you've identified a plot hole by accident
We are doomed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm

How was Luke such a good pilot, you schmoe?

Jesus nitpicking Chist; everyone can fly in this [expletive] universe.

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:07 pm

soccer10k wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
soccer10k wrote:Really enjoyed the movie except for every scene with Adam Driver without a helmet. Just didn't like his look, didn't like how he delivered lines and didn't buy him as a bad guy at all.

Reading this thread, it appears I'm in the minority in that, though. Oh well. Still liked the film.

that was the point of his character though

Precisely. He's a wannabe bad guy at this point. I suspect in the next film he'll be full on maniac.

And I still won't buy him then either. There are a ton of actors out there and I'm sure they could have gotten someone else who could have done a better job than he did. I just didn't like his acting in the movie without the mask on.

I thought he was the best part of the movie.

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:15 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:im not going to quibble with a character being too charismatic . just roll with it

Yes, I liked Finn a lot. It's a minor quibble.

Upon a second viewing, the only scene that I didn't care for was the space monsters vs. gangsters vs. Han Solo scene. For some reason it felt like something from one of the new Star Trek movies.

Far and away the worst part of the movie for me, too. Something about Ford's acting in that scene bothered me, too. Maybe it was just jarring to see him old, and I needed to warm up to him. Either way, I didn't care for that entire sequence.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Finally going to see it tonight.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:04 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Finally going to see it tonight.

Don't spoil the novelization for yourself!

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:39 pm

snoodmonger wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:im not going to quibble with a character being too charismatic . just roll with it

Yes, I liked Finn a lot. It's a minor quibble.

Upon a second viewing, the only scene that I didn't care for was the space monsters vs. gangsters vs. Han Solo scene. For some reason it felt like something from one of the new Star Trek movies.

Far and away the worst part of the movie for me, too. Something about Ford's acting in that scene bothered me, too. Maybe it was just jarring to see him old, and I needed to warm up to him. Either way, I didn't care for that entire sequence.

Meh, Ford has been old for a while now. Did you not see Indy 4? I mean, congrats if you didn't. Seriously, well done. But he couldn't move in that movie either.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Why are so many people criticizing Ford and Fisher for being old when they are old and playing old characters?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Derwood wrote:Why are so many people criticizing Ford and Fisher for being old when they are old and playing old characters?

Most of the bitching seems to be about Fisher, which I think is probably due to some inherent sexism.

However, her "three pack a day" voice is distracting. Just doesn't sound like Leia at all unfortunately. However, it's not like she can help that, so whatever.

Return to “Social”