OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Star Wars Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Well dammit, now I wanna go see it again.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Watching that made me wonder if at some point in the future someone is going to go back and fix the crappy CGI in the prequels. CGI isn't so much a problem with modern film, it's bad CGI that is the problem. Of course, no amount of CGI improvement could fix the crappy story and bad acting of the prequels, but less obvious CG would help.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Watching that made me wonder if at some point in the future someone is going to go back and fix the crappy CGI in the prequels. CGI isn't so much a problem with modern film, it's bad CGI that is the problem. Of course, no amount of CGI improvement could fix the crappy story and bad acting of the prequels, but less obvious CG would help.

Just give up on it already. That would a flogging-worthy waste of money and resources.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:05 pm

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:13 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Watching that made me wonder if at some point in the future someone is going to go back and fix the crappy CGI in the prequels. CGI isn't so much a problem with modern film, it's bad CGI that is the problem. Of course, no amount of CGI improvement could fix the crappy story and bad acting of the prequels, but less obvious CG would help.

Just give up on it already. That would a flogging-worthy waste of money and resources.

What about a complete reboot of the prequels with a good script and removing the unnecessary clutter? The back story of Anakin/ Darth Vader would be compelling enough. Using actors with believable chemistry as Padme and younger Anakin would make that story so much more powerful. Plus, people aren't married to the prequels so the director could change whatever elements they want without getting too much backlash.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 am

Derwood wrote:Darts Vader may be in Rogue

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/01/14/da ... wars-story

great name for a dart team
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am

biittner77 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

What about a complete reboot of the prequels with a good script and removing the unnecessary clutter? The back story of Anakin/ Darth Vader would be compelling enough. Using actors with believable chemistry as Padme and younger Anakin would make that story so much more powerful. Plus, people aren't married to the prequels so the director could change whatever elements they want without getting too much backlash.

i'd like to see that era, if not those exact stories, remade with anakin as the protagonist. like, really invest in the story of him as a sympathetic character. the constant foreshadowing and winking at the audience about his turn to the dark side is super awful
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:30 am

all of that would be awesome, but has a movie franchise ever just remade some of its films because the original ones were a tire fire?

and the worst part about anakin isn't that the foreshadowing was bad, but that they didn't even bother to make him sympathetic in the first place. he was pretty much a whiny douche the whole time with padme, and was a dick to the council of jedi. even early on, before he marries padme, he massacres a bunch of tusken raiders because he's in a bad mood. for a long time i thought hayden christensen's inability to act made the character unsympathetic. but really, i think they were just really lazy and assumed that the audience would see him as a good guy because he was ostensibly on the "right team."

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:31 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:all of that would be awesome, but has a movie franchise ever just remade some of its films because the original ones were a tire fire?

and the worst part about anakin isn't that the foreshadowing was bad, but that they didn't even bother to make him sympathetic in the first place. he was pretty much a whiny douche the whole time with padme, and was a dick to the council of jedi. even early on, before he marries padme, he massacres a bunch of tusken raiders because he's in a bad mood. for a long time i thought hayden christensen's inability to act made the character unsympathetic. but really, i think they were just really lazy and assumed that the audience would see him as a good guy because he was ostensibly on the "right team."

batman and spiderman retell the same story every other year.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:16 am

seanimal wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

i'd like to see that era, if not those exact stories, remade with anakin as the protagonist. like, really invest in the story of him as a sympathetic character. the constant foreshadowing and winking at the audience about his turn to the dark side is super awful

they should have just settled on making Obi Wan the main character of the prequels and not splitting it between he an Anakin.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:21 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:all of that would be awesome, but has a movie franchise ever just remade some of its films because the original ones were a tire fire?

batman and spiderman retell the same story every other year.

Is Darth Vader a scientist?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:42 pm

seanimal wrote:i'd like to see that era, if not those exact stories, remade with anakin as the protagonist. like, really invest in the story of him as a sympathetic character. the constant foreshadowing and winking at the audience about his turn to the dark side is super awful

That amazing fanedit that I posted a while back, that condensed the prequel trilogy into a single film which used the Japanese audio and the editor's own subtitles, did a stunningly good job of making Anakin a sympathetic character. The Japanese audio also allows you to not be distracted by Christenson's wooden delivery.

I've started watching The Clone Wars cartoon series and they do a much, much better job with Anakin than the prequels. He's bold, reckless, a badass fighter, yet has a darkness to him, and most importantly isn't a whiny [expletive].

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:03 pm

anybody who has seen this movie more than twice should be banned from complaining about it.

you don't know what you like and are very stupid
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:anybody who has seen this movie more than twice should be banned from complaining about it.

So you don't think it's possible to love something and think that there's area for improvement?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Banedon wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:anybody who has seen this movie more than twice should be banned from complaining about it.

So you don't think it's possible to love something and think that there's area for improvement?

well no.

If you think there are areas of improvement you don't love the movie. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people saying they went to see it multiple times and really do not like the movie. That is dumb.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:well no.

If you think there are areas of improvement you don't love the movie. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people saying they went to see it multiple times and really do not like the movie. That is dumb.

Gotcha, yes...that is.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:07 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
seanimal wrote:i'd like to see that era, if not those exact stories, remade with anakin as the protagonist. like, really invest in the story of him as a sympathetic character. the constant foreshadowing and winking at the audience about his turn to the dark side is super awful

That amazing fanedit that I posted a while back, that condensed the prequel trilogy into a single film which used the Japanese audio and the editor's own subtitles, did a stunningly good job of making Anakin a sympathetic character. The Japanese audio also allows you to not be distracted by Christenson's wooden delivery.

I can't wrap my head around anyone actually watching this. It's still going to look like garbage and everyone will still be acting like puppets. You might as well be reading a completely made up fanfic script.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:

I can't wrap my head around anyone actually watching this. It's still going to look like garbage and everyone will still be acting like puppets. You might as well be reading a completely made up fanfic script.

The bad acting is almost unnoticeable when the audio is in a different language. The crappy delivery of crappy dialogue is the main problem with the acting in the prequels. Hayden, at least in ROTS (of which 85% of that fanedit is taken from), at least looks the part IMO and when he isn't opening his mouth can look brooding and sullen enough. The beauty of the Japanese audio is that we don't know if those Japanese voice actors are bad or not. Also, the CG in ROTS was at least tolerable.

And I don't care if I'm essentially reading a fanfic. It's a goddamned fanedit. That's the point. I was very entertained watching it and applaud the editor for how clever the fanedit was. For the first time I actually felt something for the character of Anakin.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:06 pm

I weirdly admire your pointless dedication to these terrible, terrible movies.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I weirdly admire your pointless dedication to these terrible, terrible movies.

it really is like trying to put a bow tie and makeup on an elephant turd isn't it?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:19 am

was very sad to hear the spoonman fall into this trap.

Return to “Social”