Irrational Fears Thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Irrational Fears Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:34 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It says "IRRATIONAL fears" right there in the thread title, dude.

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:37 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Branch off from the airplane thread, what are some irrational fears that you have and how do you cope with them?

I have a completely ridiculous fear of bees, especially wasps. Like to the point where I almost involuntarily flee the scene of a bee every time I see one. This summer I saw 2 wasps buzzing around a plant in my yard, and for the rest of the summer I completely refused to mow that section of the lawn for fear that there was some underground wasp lair and that by mowing over it I would unleash the fury of 1,000 wasps. Finally when the weather got below 60 I went out and mowed that part of the lawn but I pretty much ran with the mower over it and then quickly got the hell out of there.

I have no idea why I have this fear, and I have no idea how to cure myself of this. I just accept the fact that occasionally I will look like a weirdo in public by running away from bees.

I have this fear, but I'm deathly allergic and nearly died in 2nd grade.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Lenny wrote:100% of cars and almost all bikes ride on steel-belted radials. It's almost impossible for a compressor to make them "blow up".

The only vehicles that could happen on are pre-1968 cars with period tires, or certain Harleys/Choppers, because they still use the old balloon tires to smooth out the ride.

It's the IRRATIONAL FEARS thread.

However, tires are the first black thing you've ever shown an understanding of, so baby steps?

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:39 pm

I am a huge wimp when it comes to most bugs, but for some reason bees and wasps, things that could actually cause pain, have never freaked me out. If I see a large daddy long legs, however, I will freak the [expletive] out.

I am pretty OCD with certain things. I check multiple times to make sure my faucet and oven are turned off. Whenever I leave my apartment, I am always paranoid my door didn't lock, so I usually check that more times than necessary. Also when I need to grab something out of my vehicle and the light doesn't turn off right away, I need to stand there until it does.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:It says "IRRATIONAL fears" right there in the thread title, dude.

A fear of flying is an irrational fear. A fear of [expletive] escalators is some 89 year old grandma from the farm whose never been to the big city silliness.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
Lenny wrote:100% of cars and almost all bikes ride on steel-belted radials. It's almost impossible for a compressor to make them "blow up".

The only vehicles that could happen on are pre-1968 cars with period tires, or certain Harleys/Choppers, because they still use the old balloon tires to smooth out the ride.

However, tires are the first black thing you've ever shown an understanding of, so baby steps?

cl smooth
Starter

Postby cl smooth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

losing my memories.

i have always had a sharp mind and can remember thoughts and situations as far back as when i was 2 1/2 years old. the idea of having dementia or alzheimer's and having your memories (good and bad) just disintegrate little by little until they are all wiped away or turn into false memories scares the absolute [expletive] out of me.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:43 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

A fear of flying is an irrational fear. A fear of [expletive] escalators is some 89 year old grandma from the farm whose never been to the big city silliness.

My God, you're so boring.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Says the man who holds both railings on an escalator, I mean, that's when you know you're living the high life.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Boy I'd love to put a big coconut crab in your apartment while you're asleep

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:46 pm

I am very touchy about eyes and knees. Scared to death of things hurting those body parts.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Says the man who holds both railings on an escalator, I mean, that's when you know you're living the high life.

You DO grasp that I fully understand how irrational it is that I think the escalator is basically going to fall apart if I don't stay still on it, right? In the thread about irrational fears? I have no idea why you're acting like I'm bragging about it.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Mine is jellyfish. I dove off the end of a pier one time trying to impress some girl like a dumbass and went head first into one. Felt like slow motion too as I can distinctly remember telling myself I'm a [expletive] idiot before hitting water.

I'll probably go to hell for this, but I've got a buddy with an autistic kid. He signs, doesn't talk. They were over back during summer and Joey(the kid) was sitting out by the pool drawing. The sign for "no" is opening your hand, then bringing your fingers down to touch your thumb. Phil(his dad) and I were on the back porch watching TV and we see Joey running. He kept looking back and was signing "noooooo" at the same time. We're like WTF, then realized he was signing back at the bumblebee chasing him.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

You DO grasp that I fully understand how irrational it is that I think the escalator is basically going to fall apart if I don't stay still on it, right? In the thread about irrational fears? I have no idea why you're acting like I'm bragging about it.

And you do grasp that this is weird? I think it's fair game to point out the extreme weirdness of your escalator fears.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:50 pm

I had a recurring nightmare in my younger days about tripping and falling and my neck landing on the sharp, rusty corner of this big metal step/platform that the vending machines at the neighborhood pool sat on. You'd see kids wiping out all the time running to get a soda and if they were just a few feet closer...

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

And you do grasp that this is weird? I think it's fair game to point out the extreme weirdness of your escalator fears.

Yes, everyone but you understands what "irrational" entails. Nobody is posting their irrational fears in the irrational fear thread thinking, "boy, this is normal of me!"

My apologies to everyone else for sidetracking this awesome thread with this dumb, dumb argument.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:

Funny.

Speaking of tires, you guilters must go through a lot of 'em on your way out to your enclaves. But let me guess, you've got a BLM sign in your yard out in the Chesterfield Valley.
Last edited by Lenny on Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:54 pm

A friend of mine has a fear of any shirt with a logo over the heart. T-shirt, golf shirt whatever, it can't have a small logo over the heart.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Lenny wrote:Speaking of tires, you guilters must go threw a lot of 'em on your way out to your enclaves.

Now THIS is weird.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:A friend of mine has a fear of any shirt with a logo over the heart. T-shirt, golf shirt whatever, it can't have a small logo over the heart.

Speaking of covering...I have an aunt who is terrified of gigantic flags. She's convinced they're going to tear lose and cover her and she'll suffocate.

She's similarly terrified of blimps.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:59 pm

I think my biggest irrational fear is just how in any given situation I can picture how my kids are about to hurt themselves and it takes a great amount of self control not to constantly freak out.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:A friend of mine has a fear of any shirt with a logo over the heart. T-shirt, golf shirt whatever, it can't have a small logo over the heart.

Speaking of covering...I have an aunt who is terrified of gigantic flags. She's convinced they're going to tear lose and cover her and she'll suffocate.

She's similarly terrified of blimps.

Back on point; why are you scared of the safest mode of travel? You're an analytical guy.

It sounds like you can afford 1st. Not every flight is a coach middle on a Malaysia Air flight from NYC to HK.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Lenny wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:

Funny.

Speaking of tires, you guilters must go through a lot of 'em on your way out to your enclaves. But let me guess, you've got a BLM sign in your yard out in the Chesterfield Valley.

Don't be crazy Lenny. Black lives can't melt steel beams.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:15 pm

I think it's the lack of control; I'm so much more likely to die in a car crash, but if that happens it's ideally quick and I'm driving. It's somehow more comforting that I "controlled" my fate than being packed in to a metal tube in the sky that fails and (potentially) you spend agonizingly long minutes aware of your horrible fate.

As the fear got worse I went through everything I could think of to debunk; constantly going over how my favorite bands and sports teams fly all the time and they don't crash and die. Going over how the odds are so much in your favor. I memorized flight prep and takeoff and landing checklists just so I could reassure myself over (ideally) every noise or thump and the like. In a way, that made it worse; if something didn't fit in to those lists or what I was expecting, my brain freaked out and couldn't handle it. Then came the therapy and medicating, both prescribed and self-induced. Finally I just got fed up with the stress. It was bad enough to be miserable the day of a flight, but now any trip I was on was just ruined by the thought of the flight back. Any vacation was a stressed out nightmare building up to it and during it thinking about those [expletive] flights. And then I'd end up wasting the travel days anyway being zonked out from pills and/or booze, so I'd rather waste those days on a comfy train reading and sleeping than agonizing over the flight.

And there's no way I can afford 1st class; I can barely afford a couple roundtrip train trips a year between Chicago and DC these days. Though in my final year of flying I got a lucky upgrade to 1st because of an overbooking error and it was amazing. Being in those pods you really feel things like turbulence and the mechanics of the plain less than when you're packed in on those economy seats all bolted to a rack on the floor that seems to augment every little motion. Managed to fall asleep on my own with only half a Xanax.

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:19 pm

CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Return to “Social”