Irrational Fears Thread

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Irrational Fears Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Branch off from the airplane thread, what are some irrational fears that you have and how do you cope with them?

I have a completely ridiculous fear of bees, especially wasps. Like to the point where I almost involuntarily flee the scene of a bee every time I see one. This summer I saw 2 wasps buzzing around a plant in my yard, and for the rest of the summer I completely refused to mow that section of the lawn for fear that there was some underground wasp lair and that by mowing over it I would unleash the fury of 1,000 wasps. Finally when the weather got below 60 I went out and mowed that part of the lawn but I pretty much ran with the mower over it and then quickly got the hell out of there.

I have no idea why I have this fear, and I have no idea how to cure myself of this. I just accept the fact that occasionally I will look like a weirdo in public by running away from bees.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Re: Irrational Fears Thread

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:31 pm

i just laughed that image of someone fleeing to the scene of a bee

anyway, all i've really got is that i used to be insanely scared of the ocean/sharks. my older brothers would try to drag me in kicking and screaming. kinda conquered this in my teens, though.

i'm a certified scuba diver now (though i haven't gone in a really long time). looking out/down into dark open waters (particularly ocean) still gives me the willies occasionally.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:40 pm

David wrote:i just laughed that image of someone fleeing to the scene of a bee

anyway, all i've really got is that i used to be insanely scared of the ocean/sharks. my older brothers would try to drag me in kicking and screaming. kinda conquered this in my teens, though.

i'm a certified scuba diver now (though i haven't gone in a really long time). looking out/down into dark open waters (particularly ocean) still gives me the willies occasionally.

Did open ocean freak you out or did large bodies of water do the same (Lake Michigan)?

The open ocean does it for me and not large bodies of water because there isn't the off chance of a 25ft Great White bombing me from below in Lake Michigan.

Stories and videos of people falling off cruise liners during the night send a chill up my spine.

Lake Michigan: Damn I'm going to freeze to death.

Ocean: Damn I hope I freeze to death before something eats me.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:
David wrote:i just laughed that image of someone fleeing to the scene of a bee

Did open ocean freak you out or did large bodies of water do the same (Lake Michigan)?

The open ocean does it for me and not large bodies of water because there isn't the off chance of a 25ft Great White bombing me from below in Lake Michigan.

Stories and videos of people falling off cruise liners during the night send a chill up my spine.

Lake Michigan: Damn I'm going to freeze to death.

Ocean: Damn I hope I freeze to death before something eats me.

I went out on a fishing charter on lake michigan over the summer and we were far enough out that it was all open water. for a brief moment i felt like i was under the illusion that it was the ocean and i got that similar feeling for about a second. it's not something that's even close to paralyzing or anything, but yeah, huge bodies of water in general will do it.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I have a weird, irrational fear of having my eyes put out by pointed objects (like a variation of aichmophobia). Pretty much anything pokey and/or pointy that gets too close to my face makes me really uncomfortable. One common example would be if I go to a store and an aisle that has a bunch of those pegboard hooks with no merchandise on them, I'll have to go down another aisle. I get a feeling of fairly severe discomfort in the back of my eyeballs and have to turn away from the offending object, or leave the vicinity. Some days it is worse than others. On bad days, even spiked/pointy things on TV will make me look away.

There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to use contact lenses. I've had embarrassing incidents where someone held a pencil or pen in the the vicinity of my face and I slapped it out of their hands.

Fortunately this is the only bizarre/intense fear that I have.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:02 pm

This weird fear/ocd thing about checking that I turned off the gas on the range/oven, else my house explodes.

Also working with an air compressor and the fear it will explode despite me following the recommended maintenance.

Basically I have a weird fear of explosions but it's not really debilitating, other than the extra time it takes to double check the range switch and being extra thorough in my air compressor maintenance. I still use those things without any constant state of fear.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:08 pm

I'm similar with the eyes, though it's not really a "fear," I just can't see someone putting in or taking out contacts or putting in eye drops even without my eyes just watering like crazy. Never have been able to go with contacts because the idea of having to touch my eye with something that often is too much.

Terrified of flying, terrified of heights (even though they don't have anything to do with each other; like I said, if I can see out of a window on a plane that's my only chance of staying relatively calm. Being able to look down and see the ground . Even just being, like, two floors up and being along a railing like on a balcony or an escalator gets the butterflies in my stomach going and my hands sweating.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 pm

I don't like heights but don't view it being irrational per se. A fear of heights is natural. I can handle the situations fine but am not going to actively put myself in specific situations. Like I'm never visiting that stupid glass box in the Sears Tower unless I'm really just dragged along. But at the same time I really adventure stuff like zip lines and rock climbing without having any hesitation about the height. Being strapped in makes a difference, I suppose.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:31 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I don't like heights but don't view it being irrational per se. A fear of heights is natural. I can handle the situations fine but am not going to actively put myself in specific situations. Like I'm never visiting that stupid glass box in the Sears Tower unless I'm really just dragged along. But at the same time I really adventure stuff like zip lines and rock climbing without having any hesitation about the height. Being strapped in makes a difference, I suppose.

Yeah, I see what you're saying; to me the irrational part is that my body and my mind are reacting like there's no railing or safety barrier. I have to stand really still until, say, the escalator reaches the end or until I decide to move away from the railing. I can't be casual about it and just lean against it and have a conversation.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I don't like heights but don't view it being irrational per se. A fear of heights is natural. I can handle the situations fine but am not going to actively put myself in specific situations. Like I'm never visiting that stupid glass box in the Sears Tower unless I'm really just dragged along. But at the same time I really adventure stuff like zip lines and rock climbing without having any hesitation about the height. Being strapped in makes a difference, I suppose.

Yeah, I see what you're saying; to me the irrational part is that my body and my mind are reacting like there's no railing or safety barrier. I have to stand really still until, say, the escalator reaches the end or until I decide to move away from the railing. I can't be casual about it and just lean against it and have a conversation.

Huh I've never associated escalators with any height uneasiness.

I have a ranch house and I get up on the roof and will clean the gutters, but I'm doing that with my ass on the roof.

There's some video I watched of a guy doing radio tower maintenance without and harness or anything and it was one of the most unnerving things I can remember watching.

So I'm a little all over the place with my height issues. Irrational it is.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:40 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Up one or two floors? No problem? More than that? Yeeeeesh. There's one at work that goes up 4 floors and as I'm getting to the top I have to be looking straight ahead with both hands gripping the railings and not looking to left at all because I WILL plummet to my death if I see how high up I am (WHY IS THE SAFETY WALL CLEAR??! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!??!). And anyone behind me coughing or whatever because they want me to walk up? [expletive] you; you will get a face-full of fear-fart if you push me.

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:11 pm

yeah, mine is heights and its not the fear itself, but the extreme. I can also do 1-2 floors, but there's a mall downtown here with a zig zag escalator and after the 2nd floor, I'm a wreck. We just went to a movie this weekend on the 4th floor of this place and it's like a ton of city malls where the center is open and my son of course loves to stand on his tip toes and look over the railing. Makes my heart jump every time and I immediately have the urge to press my back against a wall as far as possible from the edge. I can't even walk close enough so that I can see over the railing to the 2nd floor without getting woozy. It's stupid.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:15 pm

yanrslatr wrote:yeah, mine is heights and its not the fear itself, but the extreme. I can also do 1-2 floors, but there's a mall downtown here with a zig zag escalator and after the 2nd floor, I'm a wreck. We just went to a movie this weekend on the 4th floor of this place and it's like a ton of city malls where the center is open and my son of course loves to stand on his tip toes and look over the railing. Makes my heart jump every time and I immediately have the urge to press my back against a wall as far as possible from the edge. I can't even walk close enough so that I can see over the railing to the 2nd floor without getting woozy. It's stupid.

Those are the absolute worst. When I lived in Chicago I loved seeing movies at the Century Cinema on Clark, but that zig-zag escalator they had was the WORST. The theater was at the top and I think it was the 6th floor and the stupid escalators went right up the middle, so not even a wall you could focus on.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 pm

ImageImage

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:37 pm

I feel like this would freak some of you out

Dare to dream....

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:39 pm

I have a lot of dreams where I'm dangling from high places, (mountains, roller coasters when the bar comes undone, tall buildings) but I don't really have any sort of fear of heights in real life. Maybe I'm compartmentalizing my actual fears into dreams only?
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:48 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I feel like this would freak some of you out

WHAT KIND OF DEVILTRY IS THIS?!?

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Salt water marinas.

Puerto Rico used to be one of my family's go-to summer vacations. At 14, my mother finally let me rent a kayak for a half-day (4 hours) by myself. I convinced myself I could circumnavigate the entire island in that four hours.

Naturally, I gassed out after an hour of swift paddle, and ducked into a private marina, maybe a few miles from where I started.

Paddled up to an old wooden jetty, caught my breath, looked to my right, and not more than three feet away from me I saw this stuck to the wall:

only it was translucent white, and I could see it's heart beating.

It twitched, and I'm pretty sure I yelled "YABBA DABBA DOO!!" I got out of there so fast. Haven't sea kayaked since.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:11 pm

My bank accounts being drained. Freaks me out. I'll have a bad feeling and withdraw a couple thousand, keep cash on hand and then deposit the rest in different accounts. Never had any kind of bank error.

And whoever said air compressors, I kinda understand. I have an irrational fear that my tires will explode in my face when I'm airing them up.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:15 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:My bank accounts being drained. Freaks me out. I'll have a bad feeling and withdraw a couple thousand, keep cash on hand and then deposit the rest in different accounts. Never had any kind of bank error.

And whoever said air compressors, I kinda understand. I have an irrational fear that my tires will explode in my face when I'm airing them up.

Do you ride?

Edit: A bike I mean, specifically Harley.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:19 pm

Lenny wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:My bank accounts being drained. Freaks me out. I'll have a bad feeling and withdraw a couple thousand, keep cash on hand and then deposit the rest in different accounts. Never had any kind of bank error.

Do you ride?

I don't know what this even means.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Oh. No. Motorcycles are stupid.

Except dirtbikes. Dirtbikes are fun. Motorcycles on roads are stupid.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:27 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
Lenny wrote:

Do you ride?

I don't know what this even means.

100% of cars and almost all bikes ride on steel-belted radials. It's almost impossible for a compressor to make them "blow up".

The only vehicles that could happen on are pre-1968 cars with period tires, or certain Harleys/Choppers, because they still use the old balloon tires to smooth out the ride.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:31 pm

It says "IRRATIONAL fears" right there in the thread title, dude.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Up one or two floors? No problem? More than that? Yeeeeesh. There's one at work that goes up 4 floors and as I'm getting to the top I have to be looking straight ahead with both hands gripping the railings and not looking to left at all because I WILL plummet to my death if I see how high up I am (WHY IS THE SAFETY WALL CLEAR??! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!??!). And anyone behind me coughing or whatever because they want me to walk up? [expletive] you; you will get a face-full of fear-fart if you push me.

My god you're weird.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Return to “Social”