Tim went to Nashville

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Re: Tim went to Nashville

Postby seanimal » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:06 pm

David wrote:
Lenny wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I was about to post how lucky the passengers are considering all the vouchers they'll receive, then noticed it's Southwest, so they'll only be good for the lower 48, no 1st Class, and whatever plane you step on likely rolled off the line during the Reagan administration.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... -rank.aspx

as of 2014 (this was the newest I could find) southwest was ahead of delta, united, american and us airways.

actually shocked at spirit only being in the 5's.

only flown virgin once and it was glorious. no surprise they're where they are.

i've never flown virgin here, just a connection from edinburgh to heathrow at some ungodly hour in the morning. it was a typical 737, except the seats were pleather and maybe had a little more legroom. a coworker of mine raves about them though

anyway, that list is a bit silly. newer airlines have newer fleets? revelatory. plus, it's easy to retrofit planes with amenities like tv or streaming, as delta, american, and united have been doing

and the claim that older planes require more maintenance is supported with zero evidence. in fact, the mcdonnell-douglas 80, that weird little regional jet that american flies, has the cheapest maintenance costs of all narrow-bodies both per flight hour and per aircraft. that thing is old as hell. the a340 is more expensive to maintain per flight hour than the 747-400. model age does not correlate with maintenance cost
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:22 am

I just think the scared to fly freaks prefer newer planes.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:26 am

David wrote:I just think the scared to fly freaks prefer newer planes.

For me at least, that doesn't matter at all.
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:41 am

I just prefer planes with no ashtrays
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:23 am

seanimal wrote:
David wrote:
Lenny wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I was about to post how lucky the passengers are considering all the vouchers they'll receive, then noticed it's Southwest, so they'll only be good for the lower 48, no 1st Class, and whatever plane you step on likely rolled off the line during the Reagan administration.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... -rank.aspx

as of 2014 (this was the newest I could find) southwest was ahead of delta, united, american and us airways.

actually shocked at spirit only being in the 5's.

only flown virgin once and it was glorious. no surprise they're where they are.

i've never flown virgin here, just a connection from edinburgh to heathrow at some ungodly hour in the morning. it was a typical 737, except the seats were pleather and maybe had a little more legroom. a coworker of mine raves about them though

anyway, that list is a bit silly. newer airlines have newer fleets? revelatory. plus, it's easy to retrofit planes with amenities like tv or streaming, as delta, american, and united have been doing

and the claim that older planes require more maintenance is supported with zero evidence. in fact, the mcdonnell-douglas 80, that weird little regional jet that american flies, has the cheapest maintenance costs of all narrow-bodies both per flight hour and per aircraft. that thing is old as hell. the a340 is more expensive to maintain per flight hour than the 747-400. model age does not correlate with maintenance cost

The old boys own a lot of those older planes, the new guys typically lease
Spoiler: show

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:02 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:I just prefer planes with no ashtrays

My first flight was in 1982 and I smoked on the plane. By the next time I flew, smoking was banned. I've always thought it was weird that they still had planes with ashtrays, so I googled it. Interesting that a cup of water couldn't replace the need for an ashtray.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... cades.html

Return to “Social”