The Cubs found Dejesus

A New Era
5-Time All-Star

The Cubs found Dejesus

Postby A New Era » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:38 am

I wanted to comment on this article. It was a good read Rob. This first move has me excited, a solid all around player that plays good defense, patient at bats, and was a great "buy low" low risk reward. They bought low on a guy coming off a thumb injury and he's very likely to improve back to his 2009-2010 #'s. I think by the time most of the seaons plays out, he will be greatly outproducing his contract and Cubs fans will love him.

I wanted to comment on this part of the article specifically.

Attempt to trade Alfonso Soriano – It wont be easy. Soriano is due $18 million per year for the next three years. An AL team who can give Soriano a couple starts a week in the DH slot to keep his legs fresh may be interested, but the Cubs would likely need to eat at least $10 million per year if not more in order to find a taker. This move would likely indicate an attempt to win in the short term.

Attempt to trade Marlon Byrd – This one would be much easier. Byrd is quite similar to DeJesus in that he is an average to slightly above average player who is making less than market value. He could likely bring back an interesting little prospect or two. This move would indicate more long-term planning than going for it in 2012.

Attempt to trade Brett Jackson – This is the most exciting option. Brett Jackson is a good enough prospect to be a centerpiece in a deal for just about any player likely to be moved this offseason. The most obvious candidate is David Wright, but there are a few starting pitchers who may or may not be available as well in Cole Hamels and John Danks. Obviously this is a “go for it” scenario.

Send Brett Jackson to Iowa – This is more of a non-move than a real move. Jackson isn’t likely to receive any real benefit from the at bats in Iowa, but leaving him in Iowa until the trade deadline does delay his free agency and arbitration status by one year. The front office will still have to make one of the first three choices, but this option does allow them to stall for a bit.

Which do you want most? First I'd like to disagree with the trade Byrd bit. How would it be more long term planning and trading Soriano be a win now? I actually view it the other way around, and I would much prefer trading Byrd. Sori's gonna get you jack squat in a trade. And Byrd could get you something interesting in a trade. Plus keeping Sori around he's still a nice power threat. If we can land Fielder, having Sori's bat 6th in the line-up makes it all the better of a line-up. Unless you see a good power guy in LF they could get, I'd rather trade an asset (byrd) make room for a promising young guy, and keep Sori's bat in the line-up.

Sori LF, Jackson CF, Dejesus RF is a nice outfield. Then go get Fielder and add an interesting young bat at 3B and that would be my wish for the line-up.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: The Cubs found Dejesus

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Jackson for Wright?

Apparently all you have to do is posture about how a bad asset is actually the face of your franchise and suddenly people are willing not only to take him on, but give up serious value for him?

Guys, Soriano is the face of the franchise. We might be willing to trade him, but only if we get a legit prospect in return.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: The Cubs found Dejesus

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:19 pm

KyleJRM wrote:Jackson for Wright?

Apparently all you have to do is posture about how a bad asset is actually the face of your franchise and suddenly people are willing not only to take him on, but give up serious value for him?

Guys, Soriano is the face of the franchise. We might be willing to trade him, but only if we get a legit prospect in return.

I understand and somewhat agree with your point. You're using a bit too much hyperbole in your example to take it seriously, though.
Spoiler: show

Return to “Front Page Article Discussion”