Meph's first article is up...

Tim
Hall of Fame

Meph's first article is up...

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:58 pm

Head to the front page to take a look. He's starting off with a draft review.

Post your thoughts here!
Spoiler: show

Mephistopheles
5-Time All-Star

Re: Meph's first article is up...

Postby Mephistopheles » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:02 pm

That was quick. Moved to the front. Can you add someway for me to save articles as drafts? Or am I dumb and there is a way to already do that? Also editing would be nice.
"Meph was like Mozart: When he was on point every other numbers guy was Salieri"
--Sulleymon

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:That was quick. Moved to the front. Can you add someway for me to save articles as drafts? Or am I dumb and there is a way to already do that? Also editing would be nice.

I'll work on all that, though it'll probably take a bit. This week is crazy at work.
Spoiler: show

series65cubsfan
All-Star

Postby series65cubsfan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Well done Meph. I may have to reset my homepage to the Front Page! :D I'm looking forward to seeing more of your material.
--The difference between a warrior and an ordinary person is that the warrior sees everything as a challenge while an ordinary person sees everything as a blessing or a curse.--

- Carlos Castenada

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 pm

some have said that Kashner could contribute as soon as this season. Doesn't that seem far-fetched?

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Derwood wrote:some have said that Kashner could contribute as soon as this season. Doesn't that seem far-fetched?

If memory serves, Joey Devine was brought up the year he was drafted. Cashner could conceivably be brought up to provide a handful of innings at the end of Sept, but I don't think anybody is counting on a meaningful contribution.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Rob wrote:
Derwood wrote:some have said that Kashner could contribute as soon as this season. Doesn't that seem far-fetched?

If memory serves, Joey Devine was brought up the year he was drafted. Cashner could conceivably be brought up to provide a handful of innings at the end of Sept, but I don't think anybody is counting on a meaningful contribution.

is he already on the 40-man?

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Derwood wrote:
Rob wrote:

I don't recall him getting a major league contract, so I doubt it. But Harben probably doesn't have much more time left on the 40 man.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:45 pm

Rob wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Rob wrote:

I don't recall him getting a major league contract, so I doubt it. But Harben probably doesn't have much more time left on the 40 man.
Easier solution: Move Chad Fox to the 60-day DL.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 pm

NCCubFan wrote:
Rob wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Rob wrote:

even easier - release him

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Bob Sanders wrote:
NCCubFan wrote:
Rob wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Rob wrote:

even easier - release him

Keeping him on the 60-day DL allows someone like Ceda, Guzman or Samardzija to be added to a playoff roster.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:46 am

The Cubs could move him back into the rotation, but that seems unwise given the lackluster stuff he showed there as recently as last fall. There's precedent for college closers moving into the rotation. Names off the top of my head that come to mind are Shaun Marcum and Dave Bush.

Considering his growth spurt over the last 3 years, I would think there's a chance his stuff might not have caught up by last fall. Is that possible?

Given that he needs to tighten up his slider and work on his control, I'd love to see him in the rotation to get the extra innings a la Ceda at Daytona this season. This would also be a chance to see if his stuff has progressed when he starts.

I would hate to have a potential front-end rotation starter to the pen when already Ceda and Marmol have been converted to the pen.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:00 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Keeping him on the 60-day DL allows someone like Ceda, Guzman or Samardzija to be added to a playoff roster.

what are the odds any of those 3 would be considered for a playoff roster?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 am

Bob Sanders wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Keeping him on the 60-day DL allows someone like Ceda, Guzman or Samardzija to be added to a playoff roster.

Impossible to determine today. It all depends on how they pitch over the next two months. I would put Ceda slightly ahead of Samardzija and Guzman at the bottom. But if the current bullpen remains questionable, and any of those three is lights out for the remainder of their minor league seasons as well as during a September call-up, I'd say the chances are very good they would get a spot.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 am

Bob Sanders wrote:

It's good to keep the 60-day DL guys around; they're not hurting the team (their spot on the 40-man is vacant) and they could have a benefit with the playoff rosters. What were the odds at this time last year that Soto and especially Hart would have been considered for the playoff roster?

Specifically in regards to those three, the Cubs are said to be setting up Guzman's rehab so that he could pitch in the big leagues in September (to keep his final option intact). Bruce Miles has said a few times that Samardzija would be called up in September and I'd have to think Ceda is a prime candidate to be added to the 40-man in September. If any of them have a strong September, they could get the Kevin Hart/K-Rod treatment.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm

Wow. I hit refresh and all the sudden there is a new forum.
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 pm

RoastTheD---Goat wrote:Wow. I hit refresh and all the sudden there is a new forum.

It's been here since yesterday, but after a suggestion, the forum was moved up from below Site Suggestions.

Mephistopheles
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:08 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
The Cubs could move him back into the rotation, but that seems unwise given the lackluster stuff he showed there as recently as last fall. There's precedent for college closers moving into the rotation. Names off the top of my head that come to mind are Shaun Marcum and Dave Bush.

Considering his growth spurt over the last 3 years, I would think there's a chance his stuff might not have caught up by last fall. Is that possible?

Given that he needs to tighten up his slider and work on his control, I'd love to see him in the rotation to get the extra innings a la Ceda at Daytona this season. This would also be a chance to see if his stuff has progressed when he starts.

I would hate to have a potential front-end rotation starter to the pen when already Ceda and Marmol have been converted to the pen.

You certainly right that it's possible that he did not catch up by last fall, but that's a big question. I don't see him as a potential front of the rotation guy. He's got a good fastball and a decent slider. If he could develop a third pitch it's possible. If you have a two pitch combination and you want to be a number 1, you've pretty much gotta be plus-plus on one of the pitches and at least plus on the other. Very few #1s are two pitch pitchers. Harden yes. Johnson yes. Brandon Webb yes. Harden and Johnson have two plus-pluses and Webbs sinker is like a plus-plus-plus-plus pitch. If we want him to start it's going to take him awhile to get here.

Personally I'd move him into the rotation like you said, just to get more work on his secondary pitches. Force him to use them. One of the biggest problems (IMO) that teams who have drafted college closers recently is that they have left them in the pen throwing an inning. They reach the majors and their offspeed pitches haven't improved at all since they were drafted. Moving them into the rotation in the minors will force them to use them. The best example I can give is Billy Wagner. He K'd like 200 guys in the minors one year you know. The Astros drafted him with the intention on him being their closer, but they made him start in the minors to work on his slider. I'd like to see the Cubs do the same with Cashner. In the off-chance that he develops a dependable third pitch we can leave him there.
"Meph was like Mozart: When he was on point every other numbers guy was Salieri"
--Sulleymon

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 pm

I thought I read a quote from Cashner saying he was going to be a reliever, and that it was a good thing because that's the best way for him to get to the majors quickest. From what I've read I don't see him as a potential front of the rotation guy, and I think the best way to maximize his value to the team is probably to see if he can be a solid reliever. As he learns to pitch, then maybe consider stretching him out.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Mephistopheles
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:50 pm

He's never going to need to learn how to pitch if he's in the bullpen in the minors.
--Sulleymon

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:He's never going to need to learn how to pitch if he's in the bullpen in the minors.

Sometime around AA or AAA, hitters should be able to square around on his heat if they know it's coming all the time... but your point still stands.

It was mistake enough drafting a reliever in the first round. We really shouldn't exacerbate the mistake by fast-tracking him at the expense of some long-term effectiveness.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:06 pm

Rob wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:He's never going to need to learn how to pitch if he's in the bullpen in the minors.

Sometime around AA or AAA, hitters should be able to square around on his heat if they know it's coming all the time... but your point still stands.

It was mistake enough drafting a reliever in the first round. We really shouldn't exacerbate the mistake by fast-tracking him at the expense of some long-term effectiveness.

Potential long-term effectiveness. They may get the best return on their investment by fast tracking him as a reliever (the only thing he's shown he can do effectively) and then possibly trading him away.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Im saddened by the fact that Colvin has already been lumped with Montanez.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Little Lord Fontenot wrote:Im saddened by the fact that Colvin has already been lumped with Montanez.

I already regret asking...

By whom?

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Little Lord Fontenot wrote:Im saddened by the fact that Colvin has already been lumped with Montanez.

I already regret asking...

By whom?

article wrote:The first pick wasn't the greatest pick in the world, but it's not Tyler Colvin or Luis Montanez either

Return to “Front Page Article Discussion”