Re: The Soccer Thread

Postby Garwilly » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 am

Billy Martin sort of fits.
. . .

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Juninho to Tijuana too. Lots of moves to Mexico this year.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:07 am

Good Boxing Day so far with ManU losing and Chelsea tying. Plus one of Leicester or Liverpool was going to drop points.

Tottenham in fourth by themselves now since ManU lost and Palace tied and will be only either 6 or 7 points off the top depending on the Arsenal result.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:43 pm

shnsajax wrote: Lots of moves to Mexico this year.

Victor Vazquez ( FC Bruges) is rumored to move to Cruz Azul as well.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Didn't watch any but Arsenal apparently had a rough one today.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:41 am

Watford 89th minute no goal

Spurs with the winner 30 seconds later.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:45 am

SpongeWorthy wrote:Soccer is weird. These massively successful coaches resign or get fired and move on like they were changing a pair of pants.

But...that happens in other sports too. How is that different from other sports though? Every sport has its coaching carousel.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Banedon wrote:
SpongeWorthy wrote:Soccer is weird. These massively successful coaches resign or get fired and move on like they were changing a pair of pants.

But...that happens in other sports too. How is that different from other sports though? Every sport has its coaching carousel.

I would say the frequency is what makes it much more strange. Hockey is in line with it. I think we have had 5 manager changes in the EPL this season which is 25% of the league. Wenger has been with the same club 10 more years than the next nearest person on any level in all of England, found that to be interesting.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:19 am

Janelle-Alexis wrote:Watford 89th minute no goal

Spurs with the winner 30 seconds later.

Yep, that was crazy. Rough estimate is it's between an inch or two from being a goal. And then for Tottenham to come down and score right after was nuts, though it should have been offsides on the first cross.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:43 am

shnsajax wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I would say the frequency is what makes it much more strange. Hockey is in line with it. I think we have had 5 manager changes in the EPL this season which is 25% of the league. Wenger has been with the same club 10 more years than the next nearest person on any level in all of England, found that to be interesting.

Yeah, it's definitely the frequency. Even hockey can't compare. Like I said on the last page, only two EPL managers have been at their teams for three years. If you count teams that have been in the EPL over the past three years, that number rises to only 3. Ten head hockey coaches have been at their teams for over three years.

Managers just don't make it through three full seasons. If you do well with a smaller club, you get snatched up by a bigger club. If you get relegated? Probably fired. In the relegation zone midseason? Probably fired. Expected to be midtable and sitting in or just above the relegation zone midway through the season? Probably fired.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:57 am

Zidane taking over Real?

Also Morris is officially going pro.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:31 pm

shnsajax wrote:Also Morris is officially going pro.

Maybe Werder Bremen?
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Morris isn't going to sign for anyone but Seattle for this upcoming season. This trail is nothing but a sop to Jurgen's efforts to get him into the BL.
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:45 pm

wolf stansson wrote:
shnsajax wrote:Also Morris is officially going pro.

Maybe Werder Bremen?
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/01 ... der-bremen

Contrary to what SI states, he's joining them for a couple of days in Turkey.
http://www.werder.de/de/profis/news/57530.php
"an opportunity to get to know a player, nothing more, nothing less" doesn't sound like they have immediate plans with him.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Pulisic called up to training with the Dortmund 1st team. Sounds like it will only be for a couple of weeks, but nice to see.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:35 am

You're not in Palo Alto anymore, bruh.

Clearly Klinsy is pushing for Europe. His dad is the Sounders team doctor and he's an academy guy so presumably friends and family want him in Seattle.

USS is right, I think, that he'll end up in Seattle, but I don't think this is anywhere close to reality:
wvcbxl wrote:http://www.werder.de/de/profis/news/57530.php
"an opportunity to get to know a player, nothing more, nothing less" doesn't sound like they have immediate plans with him.

The Sounders own his pro contract. The machinations of MLS make it complicated compared to europe, but "training" with European clubs is short hand for "try out with plans to begin neogtiations/valuations" any time an MLS player is "training" in Europe. MLS indulges training stints because of pressure from players, agents and US Soccer, but when Seattle doesn't necessarily want their player to be on trial, Bremen calling it anything other than training could easily be considered tampering if something broke bad and things turned sour between the player or Bremen and the Sounders during negotiations for a transfer. A young professional player doesn't travel halfway across the world to "train" without some other ambition being at play.

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

Shameful refereeing in the Leicester/Spurs game hands Spurs a replay. Ridiculous.
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 pm

USSoccer wrote:Shameful refereeing in the Leicester/Spurs game hands Spurs a replay. Ridiculous.

I agree. Spurs should do the honorable thing and concede. No need to play another game.

Last thing I wanted out of this was another game to play against a decent/good team. Even though Spurs didn't play most of their starters, it would be nice to not have a replay. I didn't care about winning or losing. Just didn't want a tie.

And yeah, that was a horrid call. I've said it before but they should make unintentional hand balls indirect free kicks. Would give refs a middle option for situations like this in the penalty area.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Werder Bremen CEO talking some about potential for a Morris transfer.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:15 pm

wvcbxl wrote:
shnsajax wrote:Werder Bremen CEO talking some about potential for a Morris transfer.

Sounds like it: http://www.sport1.de/fussball/bundesliga/2016/01/werder-bremen-testspieler-jordan-morris-darf-auf-vertrag-hoffen

Looks like he'll get some playing time in a friendly against Baku though: http://www.werder.de/de/profis/news/57614.php

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:16 pm

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Great day for Leicester, road win at White Hart. Liverpool score in extra time to draw with Arsenal, City draw with Everton. Back even on points but down in GD by 3 to Arsenal.

wolf stansson
Superstar

Postby wolf stansson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:43 pm

I don't know anything about college soccer, but the dude Chicago just drafted number one, Jack Harrison, is supposed to be real deal holyfield.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:53 pm

wolf stansson wrote:I don't know anything about college soccer, but the dude Chicago just drafted number one, Jack Harrison, is supposed to be real deal holyfield.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
wolf stansson wrote:I don't know anything about college soccer, but the dude Chicago just drafted number one, Jack Harrison, is supposed to be real deal holyfield.

this seems weird.
There was always some chaos expected in this year's MLS SuperDraft, but the Fire have sent everything into a frenzy.

Chicago kicked off the draft with a surprise selection of former Manchester Untied academy product Jack Harrison. The Wake Forest midfielder was ACC Freshman of the Year and considered the best offensive player in the class. Still, many pundits expected the Fire to draft defense or trade the pick.

Then a trade happened.

Chicago moved "a player to be named later" for allocation money and the No. 4 overall pick. The Fire selected Stanford defender and recent national team call-up Brandon Vincent, who surprisingly slipped past No. 3. Who New York City FC will ultimately receive from the Fire is unclear. It is expected to be Harrison, but it is no guarantee.

If Chicago can keep both Harrison and Vincent it would be quite a coup. We'll see as the day goes on.

P.S. The Fire just received the 15th overall pick from Seattle for a player to be named later. Crazy.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Return to “Other Sports”