Sports Media Thread

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Re: Sports Media Thread

Postby NewUserName » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:52 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I'm pretty sure Stephen A. has pics of ESPN execs [expletive] farm animals or something...because that's about the only thing that explains why he still has a job,
once you get past the way he talks, what he actually says is not much worse than a lot of idiots at ESPN
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:59 pm

NewUserName wrote:
vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I'm pretty sure Stephen A. has pics of ESPN execs [expletive] farm animals or something...because that's about the only thing that explains why he still has a job,
once you get past the way he talks, what he actually says is not much worse than a lot of idiots at ESPN

except it is. he's homophobic and has actually advocated the beating of women while brushing the acts of ray rice under the rug. ESPN has a lot of idiots, but he has to top the list.

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:06 pm

weis21 wrote:
NewUserName wrote:

except it is. he's homophobic and has actually advocated the beating of women while brushing the acts of ray rice under the rug. ESPN has a lot of idiots, but he has to top the list.

His worship of Floyd Mayweather doesn't help either.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 pm

I was positive there was plenty of material I was forgetting. you are absolutely correct. a search of "deadspin stephen a smith" turns up more material than I care to even try to wade through

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:46 pm

so.... if I am reading this right according to this the Cubs/Cards is outdoing Dodgers/Mets at a worse timeslot.

http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/pres ... n-coverage

I thought these businesses were about making money?

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:50 pm

So Goodell/NFL got Deadspin's official twitter account and SBNation's GIF account suspended for media/copyright violation rights or something.
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 pm

Moving this discussion here here so it doesn't clutter up the other playoff game thread:

Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

it was a good read

Nearly as good as that inning was. I really miss firejoemorgan.com In fact, firejoemorgan was so great it actually offset the miserable existence of the actual Joe Morgan. Yin and Yang or something or other.

Man, it made me miss FJM so very much.

I know Harold Reynolds says some crazy things, but what if I told you that Russell Martin once beat Billy Hamilton in a footrace in 2009? Would that surprise you? I mean, he didn’t, I just made that up, but it would’ve surprised you, right?

I know Harold Reynolds says some crazy things, but would you be surprised if I told you that Maury Wills once called Russell Martin “the smartest baserunner I’ve ever seen?” I mean, he didn’t call him that, I just made it up, but you would’ve been surprised, right?

Kevin Pillar sounds like the name Kevin Millar gave to the cops when they caught him drinking a beer at a house party when he was 17. “I’m Kevin … Pillar.”

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:49 am

If Neil Armstrong had played by baseball’s stupid unwritten rules of decorum, he would have whispered, “Yeah, I’m on the moon.”

“Act like you’ve been there before, Neil,” he said to himself, quietly, as he slowly descended onto the surface of an alien planet.

This
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am

the moon is a planet?

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:20 am

David wrote:the moon is a planet?

If Ken Tremendous says it's a planet, who are we to question it?
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:22 am

I thought this was a Derwood post.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:23 am

he was narrating in the voice of the BAITC, Best Astrophysists In The Cosmos. The Moon is their Molina.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:52 am

Thed Hoyerstein
Starter

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19 pm

grantland is no more :(

jonah keri's work is fantastic, even like his tv cameo's on baseball tonight.
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Good God, what an absolutely stupid move on their end.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Looks like ESPN is laying off people too. Jon Greenberg and Scott Powers both tweeted that they're done at ESPN at the end of the year.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Banedon wrote:Looks like ESPN is laying off people too. Jon Greenberg and Scott Powers both tweeted that they're done at ESPN at the end of the year.

guess they are killing off the ESPN local sites or at least drastically reducing coverage.
Dare to dream....

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:25 pm

ESPN should have just dumped Grantland when they fired Simmons. Their half-ass attempt to keep it going as a small eff-you to him just makes them look even dumber.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:12 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:Looks like ESPN is laying off people too. Jon Greenberg and Scott Powers both tweeted that they're done at ESPN at the end of the year.

guess they are killing off the ESPN local sites or at least drastically reducing coverage.

And yet Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless continue to air their hot takes.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Lost in the battle of spite and stupidity is that Grantland was one of the few places on the internet that really emphasized quality writing over stupid clickbait.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:21 pm

bukie wrote:Lost in the battle of spite and stupidity is that Grantland was one of the few places on the internet that really emphasized quality writing over stupid clickbait.

Yeah the clickbait stuff is completely out of control. I've only recently noticed that Stark and I think Crasnick put out a partial tweet with a link you have to click to read the rest of it that takes you to an ESPN page. It's so ridiculous.
I like beer.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:23 pm

bukie wrote:Lost in the battle of spite and stupidity is that Grantland was one of the few places on the internet that really emphasized quality writing over stupid clickbait.

Which is a big part of its downfall. As a Simmons vehicle it made sense but without him it was just dead weight for ESPN unfortunately.
Dare to dream....

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Jonah Keri says things, 140 characters at a time:

https://storify.com/agrabia/keri-on-grantland

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:49 am

More people watched a salt water fishing show than Cowherds show on Monday

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/just-ho ... trump.html
Screw Pitchers

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 am

Cubswin11 wrote:More people watched a salt water fishing show than Cowherds show on Monday

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/just-ho ... trump.html

hahahahahaha

Return to “Other Sports”