2015-16 Blackhawks season

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I hope Teuvo and Panarin step up huge so that I have plenty of non-Kane options to cheer for on the ice.
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.

they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game

They do start Wednesday. I think he was just saying that they play relatively close to him on Friday night.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm

David wrote:

It is...Hawks and Rangers at the UC on Wednesday
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

They do start Wednesday. I think he was just saying that they play relatively close to him on Friday night.

ahh

going to be really interesting to see how that goes

(obviously there's bias at play as I'm not a hockey fan as you all know ) i can't imagine being a cubs fan and going to that game...and there's obviously a ton of overlap in the fan bases. no way to know but i'd bet it'd be a higher concentration of sox fans than usual.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:14 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

ahh

going to be really interesting to see how that goes

(obviously there's bias at play as I'm not a hockey fan as you all know ) i can't imagine being a cubs fan and going to that game...and there's obviously a ton of overlap in the fan bases. no way to know but i'd bet it'd be a higher concentration of sox fans than usual.

I think the way I would justify it, if I'd already bought tickets to the Hawks opener, is that if the Cubs win, there'll be more playoffs to be seen. If the Cubs lose, I didn't wanna watch anyway.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm

David wrote:

Yeah sorry, I had just been looking at possible ticket options for that game when I decided to start the thread. They play the rangers wednesday night which may or may not affect TV options in NYC area bars. But I'd guess the baseball game will dominate everywhere.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:39 pm

No idea what to expect. Well, I do expect them to be one of the top 4-6 teams in the conference again, but I don't really have a good feel on how far they'll go in the playoffs. Don't think we'll see a repeat, but hopefully another strong season.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but right now I just can't. The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.

I'm sure by the time the playoffs come around I'll chuck any emotional reservations and yell "Kaner!" every time he scores.

Brian707
Starter

Postby Brian707 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 am

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Yes this is true. Rizzo was at the game against the Predators in the playoffs and half the UC gave him a standing ovation and half booed him. If I had tickets for this game I would have sold them in a heartbeat $250 + for 300 level on banner raising night and bought NLDS tickets with the money.

Brian707
Starter

Postby Brian707 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:15 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.

3rd best

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.

3rd best

i can dig it

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 pm

They are showing the championship video on NHL Network right now. Just started at 8:30
Dare to dream....

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:25 am

The Hawks offense will be fine. The power play might actually get a tick better as Daley is a better PP QB than they've had on the 2nd unit. The PK will miss Oduya and will be something to watch. It likely won't be as lights out as it has been but Q has always been committed to using talent in that role.

What it comes down to for the Hawks this year is two questions. First, how will the blue line shape up and can they compete at the level we've come to expect? How will another long playoff run affect them down the stretch and into the playoffs.

As for the Kane situation, history has shown that the fans will forgive him. I'm not sure if or when I'll be able to. It's a lot like Woody Allen, some people have an easier time separating the work of the entertainer from his personal life. Sports is entertainment. It's also fantasy so perhaps it's fitting that fans will choose to believe what they want about Kane.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 am

Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:16 am

kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.

When you win 3 in 6 years the novelty wears off a little.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Brian707
Starter

Postby Brian707 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 am

kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.

Yeah I DVR'd it. Will watch tomorrow or in a drunken stupor tonight after the Cubs dispatch the Pirates

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 am

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56 am

biittner77 wrote:

I would be all jacked up for the banner raising tonight if the Cubs weren't playing in the Wild Card game at the same time. :nhl: :flythew:
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:41 am

Old Style wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

I would be all jacked up for the banner raising tonight if the Cubs weren't playing in the Wild Card game at the same time. :nhl: :flythew:

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the novelty wearing off. More so that there's some kinda important baseball game going on at the same time as the Hawks game.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:
Old Style wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the novelty wearing off. More so that there's some kinda important baseball game going on at the same time as the Hawks game.

In 2010 I honestly cannot remember why but I had to miss the banner ceremony and I was pissed. I think it was some stupid country concert that my wife bought tickets to back in like March...either way stupid. In 2013, I was reverse commuting from the city to Lisle, and it was a horrible traffic day and didn't get home until the very tail end of the ceremony. Now this year I won't even be flipping to it, I can't take my attention for even a second off the Cubs. I'll have missed the large majority of all 3....oh well we'll just have to win a 4th.
Dare to dream....

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Toews is starting his 8th season as Captain. That's amazing to me.

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:59 pm

I've never been to a rave but does it looks something like this?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Hope you enjoy watching game 1 of the NLDS at the Barclays Center jersey
Dare to dream....

Return to “Other Sports”