2015-16 Blackhawks season

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39913
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:02 am
Location: Naperville, IL
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I hope Teuvo and Panarin step up huge so that I have plenty of non-Kane options to cheer for on the ice.
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby David » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.



they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:06 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.



they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game


They do start Wednesday. I think he was just saying that they play relatively close to him on Friday night.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:07 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.



they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game


It is...Hawks and Rangers at the UC on Wednesday
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby David » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.



they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game


They do start Wednesday. I think he was just saying that they play relatively close to him on Friday night.


ahh

going to be really interesting to see how that goes

(obviously there's bias at play as I'm not a hockey fan as you all know ) i can't imagine being a cubs fan and going to that game...and there's obviously a ton of overlap in the fan bases. no way to know but i'd bet it'd be a higher concentration of sox fans than usual.
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:14 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.



they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game


They do start Wednesday. I think he was just saying that they play relatively close to him on Friday night.


ahh

going to be really interesting to see how that goes

(obviously there's bias at play as I'm not a hockey fan as you all know ) i can't imagine being a cubs fan and going to that game...and there's obviously a ton of overlap in the fan bases. no way to know but i'd bet it'd be a higher concentration of sox fans than usual.


I think the way I would justify it, if I'd already bought tickets to the Hawks opener, is that if the Cubs win, there'll be more playoffs to be seen. If the Cubs lose, I didn't wanna watch anyway.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:21 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Blackhawks drop the puck Friday night in the Barclays Center. There are still tickets available and I am tempted to go only because it would just be game 1 of the NLDS and I could presumably watch a fair amount of it somewhere in the arena.

It's Stanley Cup defense time and they did that better the 2nd time than the first time they tried. This offseason has been yucky, mostly for one reason and partly for other hockey-related reasons. I still hope the team does well.


they start friday? i could've sworn i'd been hearing for weeks about how the hawks opener was going to be the same night as the NL wild card game

Yeah sorry, I had just been looking at possible ticket options for that game when I decided to start the thread. They play the rangers wednesday night which may or may not affect TV options in NYC area bars. But I'd guess the baseball game will dominate everywhere.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 32130
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby rawaction » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:39 pm

No idea what to expect. Well, I do expect them to be one of the top 4-6 teams in the conference again, but I don't really have a good feel on how far they'll go in the playoffs. Don't think we'll see a repeat, but hopefully another strong season.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 31177
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:42 am
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm sure I'll get over it eventually, but right now I just can't. The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.

I'm sure by the time the playoffs come around I'll chuck any emotional reservations and yell "Kaner!" every time he scores.

User avatar
Brian707
Starter
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Brian707 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 am

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
(obviously there's bias at play as I'm not a hockey fan as you all know ) i can't imagine being a cubs fan and going to that game...and there's obviously a ton of overlap in the fan bases. no way to know but i'd bet it'd be a higher concentration of sox fans than usual.



Yes this is true. Rizzo was at the game against the Predators in the playoffs and half the UC gave him a standing ovation and half booed him. If I had tickets for this game I would have sold them in a heartbeat $250 + for 300 level on banner raising night and bought NLDS tickets with the money.

User avatar
Brian707
Starter
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Brian707 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:15 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.
.



3rd best

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan
Posts: 19851
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Brian707 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote: The Kane thing is too demoralizing, and it'd be too weird to sit there hoping they win but their second-best player doesn't do anything good.
.



3rd best


i can dig it

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 pm

They are showing the championship video on NHL Network right now. Just started at 8:30
Dare to dream....
Image

biittner77
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9291
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby biittner77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:25 am

The Hawks offense will be fine. The power play might actually get a tick better as Daley is a better PP QB than they've had on the 2nd unit. The PK will miss Oduya and will be something to watch. It likely won't be as lights out as it has been but Q has always been committed to using talent in that role.

What it comes down to for the Hawks this year is two questions. First, how will the blue line shape up and can they compete at the level we've come to expect? How will another long playoff run affect them down the stretch and into the playoffs.

As for the Kane situation, history has shown that the fans will forgive him. I'm not sure if or when I'll be able to. It's a lot like Woody Allen, some people have an easier time separating the work of the entertainer from his personal life. Sports is entertainment. It's also fantasy so perhaps it's fitting that fans will choose to believe what they want about Kane.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
kujay
Superstar
Posts: 19408
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:46 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:26 am

Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9291
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:10 pm
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby biittner77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:16 am

kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.


When you win 3 in 6 years the novelty wears off a little.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
Brian707
Starter
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Brian707 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 am

kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.



Yeah I DVR'd it. Will watch tomorrow or in a drunken stupor tonight after the Cubs dispatch the Pirates

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 am

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7179
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Bedford, TX

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Old Style » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56 am

biittner77 wrote:
kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.


When you win 3 in 6 years the novelty wears off a little.

I would be all jacked up for the banner raising tonight if the Cubs weren't playing in the Wild Card game at the same time. :nhl: :flythew:
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

User avatar
Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21992
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:37 pm
Location: DeKalb, IL
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby Flames24Rulz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:41 am

Old Style wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.


When you win 3 in 6 years the novelty wears off a little.

I would be all jacked up for the banner raising tonight if the Cubs weren't playing in the Wild Card game at the same time. :nhl: :flythew:


Yeah, it has nothing to do with the novelty wearing off. More so that there's some kinda important baseball game going on at the same time as the Hawks game.
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:04 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:
Old Style wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
kujay wrote:Never thought a banner raising would be overshadowed quite like this. It's not even on my radar at all. Need to remember to DVR it.


When you win 3 in 6 years the novelty wears off a little.

I would be all jacked up for the banner raising tonight if the Cubs weren't playing in the Wild Card game at the same time. :nhl: :flythew:


Yeah, it has nothing to do with the novelty wearing off. More so that there's some kinda important baseball game going on at the same time as the Hawks game.


In 2010 I honestly cannot remember why but I had to miss the banner ceremony and I was pissed. I think it was some stupid country concert that my wife bought tickets to back in like March...either way stupid. In 2013, I was reverse commuting from the city to Lisle, and it was a horrible traffic day and didn't get home until the very tail end of the ceremony. Now this year I won't even be flipping to it, I can't take my attention for even a second off the Cubs. I'll have missed the large majority of all 3....oh well we'll just have to win a 4th.
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
kujay
Superstar
Posts: 19408
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:46 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Toews is starting his 8th season as Captain. That's amazing to me.
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

User avatar
kujay
Superstar
Posts: 19408
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:46 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby kujay » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:59 pm

I've never been to a rave but does it looks something like this?
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-16 Blackhawks season

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Hope you enjoy watching game 1 of the NLDS at the Barclays Center jersey
Dare to dream....
Image


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest