Bears at Lions 10/18 at noon on fox

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Bears at Lions 10/18 at noon on fox

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:59 pm

The Bears go into Detroit as 2.5 point underdogs with a legit shot at reaching .500 thanks to cutlers magic and The arrowhead turf monsters. Should they be dogs against another garbage team? Probably. A decent QB can carve them up. But they could win and despite the draft implications that would be pretty cool. Lose though and hopes go right back in the gutter. They need receivers who can receive.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Re: Bears at Lions 10/18 at noon on fox

Postby mul21 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Are Jeffery and Royal likely to be back this week?
I like beer.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:15 pm

mul21 wrote:Are Jeffery and Royal likely to be back this week?

The hope is Jeffery will be. I'd imagine Royal is pretty close too.

ARCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ARCubsFan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:21 pm

I hope not. I want Cutler to slay the Lions with nobodies at WR. Hope Jeffery keeps waiting for that next paycheck.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:40 pm

All of a sudden, the Bears find themselves a 1/2 game out of a playoff spot after being everyone's odds on favorites to have the first overall pick (everyone was stupid for thinking that, FWIW), and going on the road to face an 0-5 division rival. In fact, the remaining schedule only has 2 teams left that currently have winning records: The 5-0 Packers and the uninspiring 5-0 Broncos.

Sosa21MVP
5-Time All-Star

Postby Sosa21MVP » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:47 pm

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:48 pm

It's hard to tell on Jeffery since the word was he was likely back for the Raiders game and then the Chiefs game. So who knows

#disgruntledfantasyowner
Dare to dream....

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:52 pm

The Bears go into Detroit as 2.5 point underdogs

lol that's bound to change

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:56 pm

I didn't expect them to actually win, but I'm still boggled by the Bears being 9.5 point underdogs to the 1-3 Chiefs.
We are doomed.

ARCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ARCubsFan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53 pm

BigSlick
5-Time All-Star

Postby BigSlick » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 am

With 4 games left against the Lions and Vikings and agains an assortment of mediocre and bad teams, it's not ridiculous to imagine the Bears going on a run. But damn, this was a talent poor team even before the injuries, and they've really taken a toll.

I'll be watching the games for more than scouting players, at least.
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:56 am

BigSlick wrote:With 4 games left against the Lions and Vikings and agains an assortment of mediocre and bad teams, it's not ridiculous to imagine the Bears going on a run. But damn, this was a talent poor team even before the injuries, and they've really taken a toll.

I'll be watching the games for more than scouting players, at least.

Absolute best case is 9-7 and that's with them getting lucky. You can pencil in probably two wins and two losses. Everything else is toss up territory.
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:23 pm

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:35 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Absolute best case is 9-7 and that's with them getting lucky.

this can also can describe scenarios where the Lions win this week

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:37 pm

rawaction wrote:All of a sudden, the Bears find themselves a 1/2 game out of a playoff spot after being everyone's odds on favorites to have the first overall pick (everyone was stupid for thinking that, FWIW), and going on the road to face an 0-5 division rival. In fact, the remaining schedule only has 2 teams left that currently have winning records: The 5-0 Packers and the uninspiring 5-0 Broncos.

i believe that was only for a brief spell when it was unknown whether cutler would be out a great deal of time.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:58 pm

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:All of a sudden, the Bears find themselves a 1/2 game out of a playoff spot after being everyone's odds on favorites to have the first overall pick (everyone was stupid for thinking that, FWIW), and going on the road to face an 0-5 division rival. In fact, the remaining schedule only has 2 teams left that currently have winning records: The 5-0 Packers and the uninspiring 5-0 Broncos.

i believe that was only for a brief spell when it was unknown whether cutler would be out a great deal of time.

After week 1, people thought, huh, maybe they will win a few more than 5/6. After week 2 (cutler's injury) people thought they had a legit shot at a top 5 pick. After 1 game without him, no change in opinion other than the somewhat optimistic idea that Cutler almost made it back for game 3. The line is still garbage and putting Cutler at risk, especially with no talent at the receiver position, but for as long as Cutler is active the team will have a shot in at least 9 of their remaining games.

And holy [expletive] I just rerealized that the Green Bay road game is their only remaining game against a legit good team that should be favored heavily. Denver will also probably be heavily favored but Manning has more picks than TD and who knows where he'll be in a month.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Isn't Antone Smith that big play guy from Atlanta last year? He should be a lot more exciting to watch than Jacquizz [expletive] Rodgers.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:01 am

Really anxious to see what happens with White if we head into the bye at 3-3. Surely he won't be ready when eligible (Nov. 1), but I could see him returning around Thanksgiving if the Bears are still in contention.

A deep threat is pretty much all that's missing from this offense. Couple that with Jeffery returning and this squad could do some damage down the stretch.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:A deep threat is pretty much all that's missing from this offense.

And a line, as well as a homerun threat running back.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:Isn't Antone Smith that big play guy from Atlanta last year? He should be a lot more exciting to watch than Jacquizz [expletive] Rodgers.

Yes. Dude rips off big plays, but he has a lot of problems staying healthy.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:27 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubsBearsMagic wrote:A deep threat is pretty much all that's missing from this offense.

the line is actually getting there. once Bushrod gets back, it will be significantly better. I'm excusing Grasu's poor play for now, but Long's day against Justin Houston looked very good, although it wasn't particularly graded well. Olin Kreutz seems to think that DuCasse is an elite run-blocker, which is nice.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Cutler has been pretty good of making the most out of a bad line in the past. And even though Bushrod sucks, I think he'll still be an improvement over Leno when he returns. Grasu should also improve with each game. They won't be good, but I have hope for them being serviceable.

Forte is still a Top 10 back in this league, so I'm not really worried about his inability to hit football dongs. And as discussed, if Smith is fully healthy he could eventually bring a little big-play ability to the RB position.

I guess technically you're right though, since I know that's what you want to hear.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:35 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Cutler has been pretty good of making the most out of a bad line in the past. And even though Bushrod sucks, I think he'll still be an improvement over Leno when he returns. Grasu should also improve with each game. They won't be good, but I have hope for them being serviceable.

Forte is still a Top 10 back in this league, so I'm not really worried about his inability to hit football dongs. And as discussed, if Smith is fully healthy he could eventually bring a little big-play ability to the RB position.

I guess technically you're right though, since I know that's what you want to hear.

I'm not sure how a deep threat could be all they are missing if you can acknowledge that Cutler still has to make magic avoiding the rush due to the weak line.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:49 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubsBearsMagic wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I'm not sure how a deep threat could be all they are missing if you can acknowledge that Cutler still has to make magic avoiding the rush due to the weak line.

I was thinking solely in terms of the ways the offense could score points, not evaluating every single facet of the offense. My mistake, I didn't differentiate. I guess I have to [expletive] spell everything out to avoid the jersey magnifying glass.

It's also kind of sick how quickly you reply to this stuff. It's like you just wait for the next thing you can rip apart. I hope that makes you happy though.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:
I was thinking solely in terms of the ways the offense could score points, not evaluating every single facet of the offense. My mistake, I didn't differentiate. I guess I have to [expletive] spell everything out to avoid the jersey magnifying glass.

It's also kind of sick how quickly you reply to this stuff. It's like you just wait for the next thing you can rip apart. I hope that makes you happy though.

Why the [expletive] are you so upset for me disagreeing with the sentiment that all they need is a deep threat? I've hated this line for a decade now and have been a big proponent of focusing heavily on it. When people talk about offensive deficiencies on the Bears I think the line is too often overlooked. The pass protection has been garbage forever and its not like they've always made up for it by being amazing run blockers either. The offense will never be great until and unless they actually have a good line. But a deep threat would also help. Hell, any threat would help at this point.

Return to “Other Sports”