2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Can't wait for Derricks salary to clear. Get Jimmy some [expletive] help.

Why wait? Sign someone this offseason. They'll have the money.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:31 am

Butler went 21 for 25 from the FT line
The rest of the team went 5 for 6

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:20 am

Good thing Butler played 47 minutes on a bad ankle to help beat the worst team in the league on a Thursday night in January. Great job, Thibs Hoiberg!

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Can't wait for Derricks salary to clear. Get Jimmy some [expletive] help.

So will like 20 others teams. Have to sell coveted FAs that Chicago is the best situation for them. Not saying it's not a good destination just that there will be a lot of competition for any FA they desire.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 am

I've resigned myself to the fact that Chicago is just not a preferred NBA FA destination for the top end guys. Unless they get really lucky and somehow none of the more highly regarded warm weather cities don't have cap space, I have a hard time seeing them winning out on the very tip top guys unless there's some additional draw to coming here (something like Anthony Davis wanting to come home or something) for as long as there is a hard cap on individual player salaries so they can't outbid those teams (not that they even necessarily would).

Hell, I think the cap system that came about in the 98-99 lockout may have screwed Krause's rebuilding plans way back when too.

We're probably going to have to draft our superstars for as long as this type of system is in place, which is hard since we're usually too good for that. But, hey, look where we got Jimmy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as attractive as Chicago can be, there always seems there's 1-2 more attractive destinations for one reason or another, whether it's weather, roster, or whatever else.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

So will like 20 others teams. Have to sell coveted FAs that Chicago is the best situation for them. Not saying it's not a good destination just that there will be a lot of competition for any FA they desire.

Of course; I was replying to how the original post made it sound like they wouldn't have any money until after next year.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 am

David wrote:I've resigned myself to the fact that Chicago is just not a preferred NBA FA destination for the top end guys. Unless they get really lucky and somehow none of the more highly regarded warm weather cities don't have cap space, I have a hard time seeing them winning out on the very tip top guys unless there's some additional draw to coming here (something like Anthony Davis wanting to come home or something) for as long as there is a hard cap on individual player salaries so they can't outbid those teams (not that they even necessarily would).

Hell, I think the cap system that came about in the 98-99 lockout may have screwed Krause's rebuilding plans way back when too.

We're probably going to have to draft our superstars for as long as this type of system is in place, which is hard since we're usually too good for that. But, hey, look where we got Jimmy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as attractive as Chicago can be, there always seems there's 1-2 more attractive destinations for one reason or another, whether it's weather, roster, or whatever else.

Yeah I think Chicago is in a tier below the warm weather cities + New York. I believe like you said it's difficult for the Bulls to pull a marquee FA unless they are from here, especially with the players coming into the NBA never witnessing the dynasty years.

That said, I believe that Chicago is attractive enough to 1) not lose any of their own drafted superstars, 2) be a place a superstar would accept or even leverage a trade to under most circumstances and 3) be a legitimate option for a superstar to come in FA if all the other pieces are in place.

Not ideal but better than at least 20 other NBA markets. Cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Toronto etc need an act of God (aka best player of their generation is from there) to win a championship.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am

It would help if the top end guys were actually paid what they were worth and not artificially held down by the cap. That individual player cap means all the non-money factors become much bigger than they would in other sports (even capped ones).

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Reports are that GarPax know that the Bulls aren't winning this year. Even with Jo going down, they better still make some trades.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Makes me sad that we might have seen Jo in a Bulls uniform for the last time
Dare to dream....

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Yeah it sucks he has been a really fun guy to root for. I hope he latches on with a contender.

Return to “Other Sports”