2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:Can't wait for Derricks salary to clear. Get Jimmy some [expletive] help.


Why wait? Sign someone this offseason. They'll have the money.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:31 am

Butler went 21 for 25 from the FT line
The rest of the team went 5 for 6

apete6
All-Star
Posts: 3442
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:35 pm
Location: Northwest Side

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby apete6 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:20 am

Good thing Butler played 47 minutes on a bad ankle to help beat the worst team in the league on a Thursday night in January. Great job, Thibs Hoiberg!

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Can't wait for Derricks salary to clear. Get Jimmy some [expletive] help.


Why wait? Sign someone this offseason. They'll have the money.


So will like 20 others teams. Have to sell coveted FAs that Chicago is the best situation for them. Not saying it's not a good destination just that there will be a lot of competition for any FA they desire.
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 am

I've resigned myself to the fact that Chicago is just not a preferred NBA FA destination for the top end guys. Unless they get really lucky and somehow none of the more highly regarded warm weather cities don't have cap space, I have a hard time seeing them winning out on the very tip top guys unless there's some additional draw to coming here (something like Anthony Davis wanting to come home or something) for as long as there is a hard cap on individual player salaries so they can't outbid those teams (not that they even necessarily would).

Hell, I think the cap system that came about in the 98-99 lockout may have screwed Krause's rebuilding plans way back when too.

We're probably going to have to draft our superstars for as long as this type of system is in place, which is hard since we're usually too good for that. But, hey, look where we got Jimmy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as attractive as Chicago can be, there always seems there's 1-2 more attractive destinations for one reason or another, whether it's weather, roster, or whatever else.
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Can't wait for Derricks salary to clear. Get Jimmy some [expletive] help.


Why wait? Sign someone this offseason. They'll have the money.


So will like 20 others teams. Have to sell coveted FAs that Chicago is the best situation for them. Not saying it's not a good destination just that there will be a lot of competition for any FA they desire.


Of course; I was replying to how the original post made it sound like they wouldn't have any money until after next year.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 am

David wrote:I've resigned myself to the fact that Chicago is just not a preferred NBA FA destination for the top end guys. Unless they get really lucky and somehow none of the more highly regarded warm weather cities don't have cap space, I have a hard time seeing them winning out on the very tip top guys unless there's some additional draw to coming here (something like Anthony Davis wanting to come home or something) for as long as there is a hard cap on individual player salaries so they can't outbid those teams (not that they even necessarily would).

Hell, I think the cap system that came about in the 98-99 lockout may have screwed Krause's rebuilding plans way back when too.

We're probably going to have to draft our superstars for as long as this type of system is in place, which is hard since we're usually too good for that. But, hey, look where we got Jimmy.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but as attractive as Chicago can be, there always seems there's 1-2 more attractive destinations for one reason or another, whether it's weather, roster, or whatever else.


Yeah I think Chicago is in a tier below the warm weather cities + New York. I believe like you said it's difficult for the Bulls to pull a marquee FA unless they are from here, especially with the players coming into the NBA never witnessing the dynasty years.

That said, I believe that Chicago is attractive enough to 1) not lose any of their own drafted superstars, 2) be a place a superstar would accept or even leverage a trade to under most circumstances and 3) be a legitimate option for a superstar to come in FA if all the other pieces are in place.

Not ideal but better than at least 20 other NBA markets. Cities like Milwaukee, Cleveland, Toronto etc need an act of God (aka best player of their generation is from there) to win a championship.
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am

It would help if the top end guys were actually paid what they were worth and not artificially held down by the cap. That individual player cap means all the non-money factors become much bigger than they would in other sports (even capped ones).
Image

User avatar
Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9692
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:11 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Reports are that GarPax know that the Bulls aren't winning this year. Even with Jo going down, they better still make some trades.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61337
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
Contact:

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Makes me sad that we might have seen Jo in a Bulls uniform for the last time
Dare to dream....
Image

User avatar
SpongeWorthy
Superstar
Posts: 11823
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:47 pm

Re: 2015-2016 Chicago Bulls season

Postby SpongeWorthy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:03 pm

Yeah it sucks he has been a really fun guy to root for. I hope he latches on with a contender.


Return to “Other Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests