College Football - Bowl Games

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: College Football - Bowl Games

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:43 pm

The idea that the SEC has 5-7 top level teams is ludicrous. Florida was flat out bad by the end of the year. Tennessee lost 4 times. Ole Miss list to Memphis. Everyone else was worse than those teams are. The SEC was Alabama and very little else.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:23 pm

So Laremy Tunsil just caught a TD pass.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So Laremy Tunsil just caught a TD pass.

And they look really good. I expected this to be a shootout.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:So Laremy Tunsil just caught a TD pass.

Dp

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:47 pm

So Northwestern beats Stanford by 10, then loses to Iowa by 30 who then loses to Stanford by 29.

Weird circle of games.
Dare to dream....

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:48 pm

I certainly hope the national title game has something to offer in the way of competitive football.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:48 pm

I certainly hope the national title game has something to offer in the way of competitive football.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Soul wrote:I certainly hope the national title game has something to offer in the way of competitive football.

I may be in the minority but Clemson can hang with Bama IMO.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:25 am

NOLA wrote:
Soul wrote:I certainly hope the national title game has something to offer in the way of competitive football.

I may be in the minority but Clemson can hang with Bama IMO.

Certainly. Alabama's defense struggles a lot more with spread/non-traditional running teams like Clemson.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:48 am

I think OSU would have been a much better match up for Alabama. MSU style played right into Alabama's hand. Then add in a poor punt coverage team, and receivers dropping their limited chances. MSU would have been much better off playing Oklahoma or Clemson. All the games were blow outs. I think that just helps show that bowl games are not a great judge of who the better teams are.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

SRQCub
Role Player

Postby SRQCub » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 am

Seems to be a lot of smoke around Bob Shoop to Tennessee on Monday.

I had heard this for several days from TN friends, but now, Penn State message boards are saying it's true. Could take 2-3 coaches with him. That could get interesting. What is James Franklin doing, other than alienating the entire known world?

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:11 am

Careless wrote:
SRQCub wrote:
philosophizer75 wrote:Yeah, the big ten east is going to be an absolute slugfest for years to come with dantonio's spartans, meyer's buckeyes, and harbaugh's wolverines.

Also, I thought northwestern was really overrated at 13th, mostly because of what I think was a flukey win against stanford. They proved it for me today.

Northwestern was hilariously terrible. So is Iowa.

Living in ACC/SEC country, I had no idea how awful some of these Big Ten teams were. Very top-heavy conference (much like the ACC.)

Top-heavy? Their top two teams were/are being humiliated.

LOL, c'mon. Ohio State was obviously one of the top two teams in the Big Ten.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Wow, did not expect Penn State to get back in this game.
We are doomed.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Exile on Waveland wrote:
Careless wrote:
SRQCub wrote:
philosophizer75 wrote:Yeah, the big ten east is going to be an absolute slugfest for years to come with dantonio's spartans, meyer's buckeyes, and harbaugh's wolverines.

Also, I thought northwestern was really overrated at 13th, mostly because of what I think was a flukey win against stanford. They proved it for me today.

Northwestern was hilariously terrible. So is Iowa.

Living in ACC/SEC country, I had no idea how awful some of these Big Ten teams were. Very top-heavy conference (much like the ACC.)

Top-heavy? Their top two teams were/are being humiliated.

LOL, c'mon. Ohio State was obviously one of the top two teams in the Big Ten.

Meh, I see your point, but they were ranked below Iowa.
We are doomed.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Oregon's offense is a trainwreck without Adams. Lockie is abysmal.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:33 pm

The TCU Oregon game got good.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Oregon should have gone for 2 at the end of the first overtime. You haven't stopped TCU the whole half and you haven't moved the ball at all. More likely to get in on one shot from the two than to outscore TCU.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 am

Not sure if anyone watched the ASU-WVU game last night but Todd Graham did not have a good game.

-In the second quarter, when it was pretty clear the game was going to be a shootout, he decided to kick a FG from the 1 (after calling a run from the shotgun on 3rd and goal from inside the 1).
-With 5 minutes left, ASU scored a TD to go up 5. Rather than try the 2-point conversion, they kicked the XP to go up 6. They lost by 1 point.
-He also did stuff like call for blitzes on multiple 3rd and longs, including 1 on 3rd and 22 with less than 3 minutes to go and WVU down 6. WVU picked up that 1st down and got the game winning TD a couple plays later

His defense also allowed Skyler Howard to throw for 532 yards in the game. Howard's high for the season was only 356 (the only time he was over 300 for a game this year) and 6 times he threw for less than 200 yards.

It was a pretty entertaining game though.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:42 pm

I have never in my life seen so much pissing and moaning from any group of people about something so wildly unimportant as from the college football media sphere about the playoff games being on New Year's Eve. It's gotten to the point where people are actually angry on behalf of ESPN and Disney, which are only worth about 5 floppity-jillion dollars.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Andy wrote:I have never in my life seen so much pissing and moaning from any group of people about something so wildly unimportant as from the college football media sphere about the playoff games being on New Year's Eve. It's gotten to the point where people are actually angry on behalf of ESPN and Disney, which are only worth about 5 floppity-jillion dollars.

I don't particularly care, but in all the 'the ratings are way down' chatter I didn't see anyone note that NYE and NYD might not be super comparable, what with NYE being maybe the largest party/group get together/not watch the TV individually day of the year. Maybe the ratings are still down after taking that into account, but it seemed like an obvious (if only partial) explanation that I didn't really see. Maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Andy wrote:I have never in my life seen so much pissing and moaning from any group of people about something so wildly unimportant as from the college football media sphere about the playoff games being on New Year's Eve. It's gotten to the point where people are actually angry on behalf of ESPN and Disney, which are only worth about 5 floppity-jillion dollars.

I don't particularly care, but in all the 'the ratings are way down' chatter I didn't see anyone note that NYE and NYD might not be super comparable, what with NYE being maybe the largest party/group get together/not watch the TV individually day of the year. Maybe the ratings are still down after taking that into account, but it seemed like an obvious (if only partial) explanation that I didn't really see. Maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

Huh?

Are you making a joke?

Everybody noted that ratings were down because they aired on NYE which is a terrible day/night for television since people go out partying.

On a side note, they've also successfully reduced any interest in the national title game by apparently holding it the day after MLK day.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:12 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Everybody noted that ratings were down because they aired on NYE which is a terrible day/night for television since people go out partying.

What I'm getting at is if X people watch NYD bowls at home and the same X people watch NYE bowls while at a party for NYE, then a drop in ratings is more of a measurement error. I don't think that's 100% of the drop, but people going out to parties where they wouldn't be watching the game isn't close to 100% of NYE partiers either.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Huh?

Are you making a joke?

Everybody noted that ratings were down because they aired on NYE which is a terrible day/night for television since people go out partying.

On a side note, they've also successfully reduced any interest in the national title game by apparently holding it the day after MLK day.

MLK day is a week after the title game.

But you touch on a point that annoys me about all the bellyaching - it seems to me that it's at least as inconvenient to fans - and certainly to younger fans - to have the national title game ending past midnight Eastern on a weeknight as it is to have semifinal games on New Year's Eve (which is a day that I imagine anyone who actually cares enough to watch the games can take off work). But no one seems to care about that.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:42 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Everybody noted that ratings were down because they aired on NYE which is a terrible day/night for television since people go out partying.

What I'm getting at is if X people watch NYD bowls at home and the same X people watch NYE bowls while at a party for NYE, then a drop in ratings is more of a measurement error. I don't think that's 100% of the drop, but people going out to parties where they wouldn't be watching the game isn't close to 100% of NYE partiers either.

It is when you're talking about advertisers who want people to see their ads. That would be one lame ass NYE party to be sitting in front of a TV watching a [expletive] game. And if you are watching a game at a NYE party, presumably its with only one eye vaguely paying attention and the majority of your thoughts centered around NYE related things.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Andy wrote: New Year's Eve (which is a day that I imagine anyone who actually cares enough to watch the games can take off work). But no one seems to care about that.

that's dumb

there's a hell of a lot of people who care enough to watch games but don't care to take a vacation day to do it, and when NYE falls on a non-Friday weekday, a lot of people do have work that day.

Return to “Other Sports”