College Football - Bowl Games

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Re: College Football - Bowl Games

Postby Old Style » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:07 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Andy wrote: New Year's Eve (which is a day that I imagine anyone who actually cares enough to watch the games can take off work). But no one seems to care about that.

that's dumb

there's a hell of a lot of people who care enough to watch games but don't care to take a vacation day to do it, and when NYE falls on a non-Friday weekday, a lot of people do have work that day.

What he said. A whole bunch of us were stuck at work wishing the damn games were being played on a non-weekday.
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:23 pm

8 team playoff, all 4 quarters played on New Years Day = greatest sports day of the year. It's gonna happen one day. There is so, so much money to be made from it.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:50 pm

OleMissCub wrote:8 team playoff, all 4 quarters played on New Years Day = greatest sports day of the year. It's gonna happen one day. There is so, so much money to be made from it.

I only think 8 teams will happen if the first round is played at home stadiums

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:8 team playoff, all 4 quarters played on New Years Day = greatest sports day of the year. It's gonna happen one day. There is so, so much money to be made from it.

Why? You think fan bases won't travel? Enough will.

You have six access bowls currently. 4 of them will be quarters and the other two will be semi's. Rotate them every year. The national title game will be its own thing.

The amount of revenue from boner pill commercials and other ads that would come about from 4 New Years Day playoff games would be staggering. Money is king. Any issues that pop up regarding fan bases traveling or compensating players for the extra game can be worked out.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:

You have six access bowls currently. 4 of them will be quarters and the other two will be semi's. Rotate them every year. The national title game will be its own thing.

The amount of revenue from boner pill commercials and other ads that would come about from 4 New Years Day playoff games would be staggering. Money is king. Any issues that pop up regarding fan bases traveling or compensating players for the extra game can be worked out.

I think it's a lot to ask fans to travel three times in three weeks.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:

It'll work itself out. You'll have plenty of people that would go to all three if their teams made it that far. You'd have people who might not go to the quarters who would then go "holy crap we won, we gotta go to the semi" and so on.

It's not like any of these games would ever be half-full or anything. Besides, money is king, and the revenue produced by selling tickets is minuscule compared to ad revenue that would be generated.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:56 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
Derwood wrote:

It'll work itself out. You'll have plenty of people that would go to all three if their teams made it that far. You'd have people who might not go to the quarters who would then go "holy crap we won, we gotta go to the semi" and so on.

It's not like any of these games would ever be half-full or anything. Besides, money is king, and the revenue produced by selling tickets is minuscule compared to ad revenue that would be generated.

No, you would not have "plenty" of people. You'd have a significant amount of weird ass human beings that will do that, but not enough to fill big ass stadiums.

And I doubt you get a much bigger audience for 4 1/1 playoff games instead of 4 1/1 big bowl games.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Who gives a [expletive] about attendance when there are 30 million people watching at home?

Oh crap, the stadium is 70 percent full, I don't think I'm gonna watch this playoff game.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:22 pm

8 is only happening if first round is campus sites. And it should also include the removal of conference title games. 16 games is a bridge too far for college athletes. Revenue from the games would be made up with the extra round.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Well, whatever, as it currently stands, surely we can all agree that the semi's need to be played on New Years Day.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:48 pm

I would be fine playing them on the 2nd too. New Year's Eve is stupid, and whoever decided an mid-afternoon game that day should be fired.

SRQCub
Role Player

Postby SRQCub » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:42 pm

SRQCub wrote:Seems to be a lot of smoke around Bob Shoop to Tennessee on Monday.

I had heard this for several days from TN friends, but now, Penn State message boards are saying it's true. Could take 2-3 coaches with him. That could get interesting. What is James Franklin doing, other than alienating the entire known world?

Wow, never thought I'd say it, but those TN goons were correct. Penn State appears to be a bit of a dumpster fire right now. What's going on up there?

SRQCub
Role Player

Postby SRQCub » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:15 pm

I love the "silly season" in College Football.

Rumors out there that if Alabama wins tonight, Saban goes to Indianapolis to coach the Colts.

I'm guess there's less than 1% chance this rumor is true, but if it turns out to be true, you have to think Alabama hires Dabo Swinney as their next coach. Has there ever been a championship game in which both schools lose their coach immediately after?

Also, go Clemson. I have Alabama fatigue.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:45 pm

SRQCub wrote:I love the "silly season" in College Football.

Rumors out there that if Alabama wins tonight, Saban goes to Indianapolis to coach the Colts.

I'm guess there's less than 1% chance this rumor is true, but if it turns out to be true, you have to think Alabama hires Dabo Swinney as their next coach. Has there ever been a championship game in which both schools lose their coach immediately after?

Also, go Clemson. I have Alabama fatigue.

The colts just extended pagano

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:05 pm

There's a different Saban rumor every year. He's a [expletive] god in Alabama. He gets to pick which 25 (or more if he feels like it) of the best HS players in the nation he wants to have on his team every year. His employer basically gives him infinite money as pay, as well as infinite money to hire whomever he wants and however many people he wants. No one cares if his players are functionally illiterate or commit a crime (although, to be fair, he seems to have less of the latter than many in his position might) because he loses 1 game a year. He'd be a moron to leave.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Andy wrote:There's a different Saban rumor every year. He's a [expletive] god in Alabama. He gets to pick which 25 (or more if he feels like it) of the best HS players in the nation he wants to have on his team every year. His employer basically gives him infinite money as pay, as well as infinite money to hire whomever he wants and however many people he wants. No one cares if his players are functionally illiterate or commit a crime (although, to be fair, he seems to have less of the latter than many in his position might) because he loses 1 game a year. He'd be a moron to leave.

To play devil's advocate, Saban is 64, insanely competitive, failed in his first NFL shot, and winning tonight gives him 4 college titles in 7 years. There's a very logical sequence that could lead to him going out on top and giving the NFL another shot before retiring. I'm not sure if any of the open jobs are attractive enough though. Maybe he'd give Cleveland another try because of his background(and ego that he could turn them around)?

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Andy wrote:There's a different Saban rumor every year. He's a [expletive] god in Alabama. He gets to pick which 25 (or more if he feels like it) of the best HS players in the nation he wants to have on his team every year. His employer basically gives him infinite money as pay, as well as infinite money to hire whomever he wants and however many people he wants. No one cares if his players are functionally illiterate or commit a crime (although, to be fair, he seems to have less of the latter than many in his position might) because he loses 1 game a year. He'd be a moron to leave.

To play devil's advocate, Saban is 64, insanely competitive, failed in his first NFL shot, and winning tonight gives him 4 college titles in 7 years. There's a very logical sequence that could lead to him going out on top and giving the NFL another shot before retiring. I'm not sure if any of the open jobs are attractive enough though. Maybe he'd give Cleveland another try because of his background(and ego that he could turn them around)?

He says he is very content. He's 64 and I don't think he wants to start over. Besides that, the booster will pay him ++ what anyone else offers him. I also don't think he has the right temperament to coach in the NFL and he knows it.

I could see him retiring though.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:46 pm

Saban is tremendous on TV. If he rides off into the sunset after tonight, that'll be where he goes.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:14 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Saban is tremendous on TV. If he rides off into the sunset after tonight, that'll be where he goes.

I don't want that hill jack yammering about on my TV.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:28 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

He says he is very content. He's 64 and I don't think he wants to start over. Besides that, the booster will pay him ++ what anyone else offers him. I also don't think he has the right temperament to coach in the NFL and he knows it.

I could see him retiring though.

I don't think you're wrong, I'm just laying out a scenario where the rumors would make some sense. He could very well be content to dominate CFB and be adored by that world, and understanding that he's not cut out for being an NFL HC. I could also see the failure in Miami being the Everest that a hyper-competitive and borderline egomaniac like Saban(and most coaches at the Power 5 level and above) would want to conquer before hanging it up. Leaving definitely wouldn't be about the money, although some team would have to pay him well to leave.

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 pm

This white boy Renfro is breaking fools off

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 pm

Clemson is impressing the hell out of me.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Ok, not super impressed on defense. Clemson with two huge blown coverage plays leading to scores

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Pretty much every good player for Clemson not named Watson is either out or well below 100%. Herculean effort by Watson tonight.

MarkR
Role Player

Postby MarkR » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Watch Clemson score and get a backdoor cover on the spread.

Return to “Other Sports”