12/13: Bears vs Redskins

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Re: 12/13: Bears vs Redskins

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:03 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Terrible play calling in Redskins territory in the 2nd half and terrible kicking robbie

I liked it, Gould blew it last week so there was reason to think he would miss again in bad weather here. They tried for the TD.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Gould is a true hero falling on his sword like this. I raise my glass to you, Robbie.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:04 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I don't even blame Gould. They needed to gain more yards there.

I still blame him because he failed to do a job he's paid very well to do. However, the play selection after the 2 minute warning was pathetic. I have no idea why you don't run a bubble screen or a dump off to an RB to pick up a few more yards.
I like beer.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:04 pm

BigSlick wrote:I count my blessings that I have barely watched this team this year

There have been few Bears teams that have so actively punished you for being a fan as this one

last year's?

this year's team had low expectations that got even lower early on and has looked surprisingly professional and competitive compared to last year's team...so idk. i mean i can come up with plenty worse and more painful bears seasons than this one, but i don't know how old you are.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:05 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I don't even blame Gould. They needed to gain more yards there.

That's true about yards, but he still needs to hit that. He's one of the highest paid kickers in the league

Sure, but that was maybe a bit better than 50/50 kick in the rain.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:05 pm

BigSlick wrote:I count my blessings that I have barely watched this team this year

There have been few Bears teams that have so actively punished you for being a fan as this one

Actually they've been competitive in just about every game this year, and have shown enough that they can be pretty good next year with a few key moves. I've been pleasantly surprised. Last year was so much worse.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:06 pm

UMFan83 wrote:And again 9 out of the last 10 bears games were decided within the last 2 mins of the game

Because they don't manage the game to be ahead by multiple scores. They manage the game to be close into the 4tb, against good and bad teams.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Soul wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Terrible play calling in Redskins territory in the 2nd half and terrible kicking robbie

I liked it, Gould blew it last week so there was reason to think he would miss again in bad weather here. They tried for the TD.

They should have tried for first downs rather than desperation heaves.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Soul wrote:

How about try for the first down?

I don't know I guess it's unfair to rip on fox when he's super conservative and then rip on him when he's being aggressive. It's just frustrating that they had first downs in Redskins territory twice in the 4th and came away with 0 points and at best a 50 yard FG attempt
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Stannis wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:And again 9 out of the last 10 bears games were decided within the last 2 mins of the game

Because they don't manage the game to be ahead by multiple scores. They manage the game to be close into the 4tb, against good and bad teams.

the flip side to that being, of course, that they haven't been down by 30 like they were seemingly half the games last year

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:12 pm

why is "resiliency" a word when "resilience" does a perfectly good job?

it just sounds so wrong to me, even knowing that it's not.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:14 pm

i officially retreat in giving mojo [expletive] about rooting for tank losses

lose all the games as long as players we care about play well and the players who suck and/or are gone next year can cause the losses.

also plz no career ending injuries like urlacher in minnesota

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Stannis wrote:

Definitely. They knew they don't have a ton of talent so basically hoping to play a bunch of coin flip games and hope that Lady Luck is on their side and they win 60-70% of those coin flips. Instead they are 4-5.

What's frustrating though is that it's not like we were down 10 then scored a late TD to lose by 3. Many of these games the Bears were a mistake away from winning.

Detroit: up 4 with the ball and 3 mins left, 3 conservative runs and then Detroit scores a TD
Minnesota: up 10 with 4 mins left, lose in regulation
San Francisco: a lot of mistakes but missing a relatively chip shot FG for the win
Washington: worse example but interesting play calling let and another missed FG for a kicker who use to be extremely clutch
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:17 pm

David wrote:why is "resiliency" a word when "resilience" does a perfectly good job?

it just sounds so wrong to me, even knowing that it's not.

No idea, but apparently Blake bortles has the former.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm

David wrote:i officially retreat in giving mojo [expletive] about rooting for tank losses

lose all the games as long as players we care about play well and the players who suck and/or are gone next year can cause the losses.

also plz no career ending injuries like urlacher in minnesota

They fought and kept it close and could have won pretty easily; if they have to lose, I appreciate that almost all of their losses have been like that. Next year they're gonna flip it, dammit.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Also, come out of the locker room ready to play and we don't have to wring our hands over what happened the last few plays. They weren't even competing until late in the 2nd Q

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

If your favorite player is ever a kicker...you're doing it wrong.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Oh Michael Michael

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:If your favorite player is ever a kicker...you're doing it wrong.

A kicker whose name you can't even spell correctly.

Meanwhile, he's almost saying Gould is being scapegoated while he can't wait to scapegoat Cutler if he makes a single negative play.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:57 pm

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:46 pm

David wrote:

last year's?

this year's team had low expectations that got even lower early on and has looked surprisingly professional and competitive compared to last year's team...so idk. i mean i can come up with plenty worse and more painful bears seasons than this one, but i don't know how old you are.

This is worse. Last year they were just fun bad by the end. Being so close to winning so often (to the point they could easily be 9-4 right now) and watching crucial mistakes, bad game management, and missed FG cost them games just sucks.
I like beer.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

He was [expletive] terrible.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:08 am

I wouldn't mind moving Long back to guard next year. They might be playing their way back Stanley/Tunsil territory in the draft.

Bears up to the 10th pick based on those SOS tiebreakers: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ce=twitter

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:20 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:I wouldn't mind moving Long back to guard next year. They might be playing their way back Stanley/Tunsil territory in the draft.

Bears up to the 10th pick based on those SOS tiebreakers: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... ce=twitter

No way Tunsil gets out of the top 5. I'm happy with picking 10th though. Really opens up more of a chance to get an elite talent. At 17, the Bears were probably looking at getting a 2nd tier OT (Conklin, Decker), a 3-4 OLB with questions (Floyd, Clemson's Lawson), or a DL pick....while still not being a playoff team. And I'm not all that fond of any of those guys except your boy, Kenny Clark.

At 10, this brings back into play guys like Jaylon Smith, Myles Jack, DeForest Buckner, Ronnie Stanley, and maybe an outside shot at Jalen Ramsey.

Return to “Other Sports”