12/20: Bears at Vikings, FOX, Noon CST

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Re: 12/20: Bears at Vikings, FOX, Noon CST

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:08 pm

CubsBearsMagic wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Let's get Fales out there and see what weve got

I'd rather let Cutler finish out his solid season and cement his job for 2016. Seeing if Fales is a worthy backup isn't that important.

Besides, this is about as positive as Bear fans have been about Cutler since he got here. A benching coupled with Fales not sucking would pretty much relegate us back into the throes of QB meatballdom.
seeing what we got with fales would be pointless.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:48 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
CubsBearsMagic wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Let's get Fales out there and see what weve got

I'd rather let Cutler finish out his solid season and cement his job for 2016. Seeing if Fales is a worthy backup isn't that important.

Besides, this is about as positive as Bear fans have been about Cutler since he got here. A benching coupled with Fales not sucking would pretty much relegate us back into the throes of QB meatballdom.
seeing what we got with fales would be pointless.

I don't know, the non-zero chance we have of going winless with Jay may not be worth the draft slot. Cement as high of a pice as we can right.
ImageImage

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:16 pm

So the upside of playing Fales is to guarantee losses, I guess.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:37 pm

So ignoring my dumb comment about Fales...

How many players do the Bears have that are in their future and either are above average at their position or have the potential to be above average?

I have: Long, Slauson, Cutler, Langford, Jeffery, White, Goldman, Young, McPhee, Amos, Fuller

So that's 11 guys, with 5 of them added over Pace's first year. It seems like we have a long long way to go in terms of adding talent before we consider ourselves a team that can legitimately contend for a super bowl.

Im happy with Pace's first year overall, aside from the issue with Ray McDonald, but he needs to get some more talent on this team quickly or I feel like we are going to be similar to the 96-2000 era Bears
Dare to dream....

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:41 am

UMFan83 wrote:So ignoring my dumb comment about Fales...

How many players do the Bears have that are in their future and either are above average at their position or have the potential to be above average?

I have: Long, Slauson, Cutler, Langford, Jeffery, White, Goldman, Young, McPhee, Amos, Fuller

So that's 11 guys, with 5 of them added over Pace's first year. It seems like we have a long long way to go in terms of adding talent before we consider ourselves a team that can legitimately contend for a super bowl.

Im happy with Pace's first year overall, aside from the issue with Ray McDonald, but he needs to get some more talent on this team quickly or I feel like we are going to be similar to the 96-2000 era Bears

I'd add Grasu. Depending on how liberal you want to be with the word potential there's some other young guys too. On the other hand, an older guy like Slauson could fall off quickly. Not sure if your count Royal or just don't see him in their future. Obviously assuming Bennett is not part of the future in that analysis.

But anyways, even super bowl winners start some average and below average players. Getting a couple impact players could go a long way in lifting up a whole unit. Another top 10 pick and $60M goes a long way in a quick turnaround if done right.
ImageImage

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:27 am

I wonder how many more years it will take for the Bears to get back to the 10-6 Lovie was fired over

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 am

Wilson A2000 wrote:I wonder how many more years it will take for the Bears to get back to the 10-6 Lovie was fired over

We were on a downward trend with Lovie too.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I'd add Grasu. Depending on how liberal you want to be with the word potential there's some other young guys too. On the other hand, an older guy like Slauson could fall off quickly. Not sure if your count Royal or just don't see him in their future. Obviously assuming Bennett is not part of the future in that analysis.

But anyways, even super bowl winners start some average and below average players. Getting a couple impact players could go a long way in lifting up a whole unit. Another top 10 pick and $60M goes a long way in a quick turnaround if done right.

Exactly.

11 guys he likes with 5 of them added over Pace's first year seems like we have a long long way to go? When there are like 22 starting positions on the units that matter (yeah yeah special teams matter blah blah...that's not what we're talking about here)? It's not like you need those types of players at every position.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:39 am

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Exactly.

11 guys he likes with 5 of them added over Pace's first year seems like we have a long long way to go? When there are like 22 starting positions on the units that matter (yeah yeah special teams matter blah blah...that's not what we're talking about here)? It's not like you need those types of players at every position.

No you don't but there's a difference between above average and elite, and there's a difference between the rest of the starters being "mostly average or slightly below" and mostly below average.

Also there's depth, of which the Bears are currently filling many backup roster spots with scraps. Look at the 2006 Bears, probably an average Super Bowl team at best (going off gut I could be completely wrong statistically). Backup DL? Mark Anderson, Alfonso Boone, Israel Idonije, Ian Scott. Backup DBs? Daniel Manning, Ricky Manning, Todd Johnson. Offensive depth was less but they still had guys like Griese, Benson, Metcalf, St. Clair in backup roles. Not a ton of depth at LB but you can't be deep everywhere and if the Bears lost Briggs or Urlacher that year the season probably goes a lot differently.

Finally of the 11 guys, Cutler, Young and Slauson are all over 30 so while they are currently part of the short term future they may not be when the Bears fill talent holes.

So yeah I do think they have to add a lot of talent to be a super bowl contender, but am happy with the progress we've made and do think we can contend for playoffs next year.
Dare to dream....

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 am

Well in my mind, if you can make the playoffs you're a Super Bowl contender.

Further to your list, I'd drop Young as I don't see him in their plans. He's around next year at most. Someone like Amos, while a nice surprise this year I would say is a 50/50 prop to be a consistent above average contributor. So while guys like Leno, Ego, Sutton, Carey, Jones, or Wilson have slimmer odds than that, they are collectively worth mentioning IMO. But none of those guys is gonna be an impact player. And that's what's overall lacking on the list. You have Jeffery. You're counting on White big time to hopefully also be an impact player. Long is probably only at Guard. And on D you have McPhee. We need some impact guys. The above average guys can be filled and it becomes easier to do once you have some impact guys taking up more of the other teams attention.
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 am

If long stays at tackle, urine trouble
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 am

Working our way into a top ten pick and one if the top tackles is looking like a mighty fine option right now.
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:08 am

I think we can stop worrying about losing the coaching staff this offseason.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:I think we can stop worrying about losing the coaching staff this offseason.

I think Gase is gonna get a gig still.

Or do you mean that we stop worrying about losing him because he's not that good?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I think we can stop worrying about losing the coaching staff this offseason.

Or do you mean that we stop worrying about losing him because he's not that good?
i don't think these guys are worthy of the job nor the regrets of losing them if they somehow get a job.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:12 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

i don't think these guys are worthy of the job nor the regrets of losing them if they somehow get a job.

well that's sort of an odd sentiment

you don't think fangio is worthy of his job? or do you mean a head coaching job?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 am

Im not sure I can explain it any more clearly.

If they get a new job, I won't miss them.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:Im not sure I can explain it any more clearly.

I'm asking if you're saying Fangio/Gase aren't worthy of their current positions as coordinators or of a head coaching position? What are you referring to as "the job?"

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:42 am

David wrote:

I'm asking if you're saying Fangio/Gase aren't worthy of their current positions as coordinators or of a head coaching position? What are you referring to as "the job?"

A NEW HEAD COACHING POSITION THAT EVERYONE SEEMINGLY WORRIED THEY WOULD BE GETTING THIS OFFSEASON. I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:44 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:

A NEW HEAD COACHING POSITION THAT EVERYONE SEEMINGLY WORRIED THEY WOULD BE GETTING THIS OFFSEASON. I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.

OK. GOOD TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:59 am

I'd like to keep both. Tough to lose Gase just because right now the offense is the more talented side of the ball and having continuity seems important. This would be their 5th offensive coordinator in 6 years. As a team, statistically the results might not show a great job, but considering the influx of WR injuries and the fact that Jay is having his best season statistically in a Bears uniform, I'd say he's done a good job. The one downside has been the line, and I'm not sure how much should be pinned on him (like I have no idea, should a lot of blame be put on him?)

Fangio seems like the better coordinator of the 2 but for some reason I don't see him leaving after this year...for a coordinator with his level of success in recent years he doesn't seem to be mentioned as a head coaching candidate, except in SF.
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:13 am

The Bears [expletive] the bed against bad teams and are back to getting g embarrassed against mediocre teams. They aren't getting new jobs.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:20 am

I thought i posted this in this thread, but apparently not. I agree, not even worried at this point.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:23 am

Stannis wrote:

I thought i posted this in this thread, but apparently not. I agree, not even worried at this point.

Maybe they have taken the rest of the season off to help insure a better draft pick. One can only hope. Yesterday's game was pretty embarrassing on both sides of the ball.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:25 am

Are we even sure this is Jays best season anyways? Best full season maybe (in Chicago that is)
ImageImage

Return to “Other Sports”