Hall of Fame

2016 Chicago Bears Offseason Thread

Postby David » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:31 pm

Gase to interview for the head coaching position in Philly

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: 2016 Chicago Bears Offseason Thread

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:45 am

Didn't Gase interview for the 49ers job last year at didn't get it? Gotta think he won't be too interested in interviewing there. Sounds like they're interested in Chip Kelly anyway.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 am

Banedon wrote:Didn't Gase interview for the 49ers job last year at didn't get it? Gotta think he won't be too interested in interviewing there. Sounds like they're interested in Chip Kelly anyway.

IIRC he basically would've had it but he refused to take on Tomsula as DC.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:52 am

David wrote:Gase to interview for the head coaching position in Philly

He has interviews with the Browns and Dolphins this week as well.
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:38 am

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:Gase to interview for the head coaching position in Philly

He has interviews with the Browns and Dolphins this week as well.

By rule of the hire a guy from the opposite side of the ball after you fire a failed head coach, Gase can't go to Philly (Kelly/offense first guy) or Miami (Philbin/OC) and he'd be a fool to go to Cleveland.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:17 am

Most mocks that have come out this morning have us taking Jack or Ragland with the 11th pick. Rather have Tunsil/Stanley, obviously, but both are likely gone before 11.

I'd like to see them tag Jeffery, trade Bennett, and let Forte walk. Re-sign Porter, Jenkins, Zach Miller, one of Shea/Acho, and Thompson for KR.

Also of note, one of the mocks has us passing on Lynch and him going to Philly at 13. I think it's a draft or two too early to find our next QB, but I also can't say I'd hate letting him play behind Jay for a year or two.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:52 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:Most mocks that have come out this morning have us taking Jack or Ragland with the 11th pick. Rather have Tunsil/Stanley, obviously, but both are likely gone before 11.

I'd like to see them tag Jeffery, trade Bennett, and let Forte walk. Re-sign Porter, Jenkins, Zach Miller, one of Shea/Acho, and Thompson for KR.

Also of note, one of the mocks has us passing on Lynch and him going to Philly at 13. I think it's a draft or two too early to find our next QB, but I also can't say I'd hate letting him play behind Jay for a year or two.

Ragland's a reach at 11. I like him more after 20. Of players that could be on the board at 11, I'd be most interested (in no order):

Myles Jack
DeForest Buckner
Ronnie Stanley
Robert Nkemdiche
Leonard Floyd

Also, don't know why you'd want to pay McClellin money to come back and play here. Acho's pretty mediocre too. I also don't really want to pay Porter, and I love the guy. But he's gonna be 30, has missed a ton of time the last 4 years and I think you can get a more reliable CB for slightly more than he will cost. But I do understand the thought behind keeping him around.

I'd also probably see how team friendly Forte is willing to sign. I don't really think Langford did very much to prove he can be the #1 RB next year. He dropped a handful of easy passes, and he finished with a lower YPC than Forte. He and Carey would probably be a serviceable RB tandem, but nothing more. Plus, it would be just Langford, Carey, and Senorice Perry on the roster at the position. Perry has never had an NFL carry and missed this whole year. So, the Bears still probably have to add a RB. Could add another late pick, but I think a veteran would more likely be added to the mix. And if this team plans on being good, I think they'll need more than an average to slightly below RB group.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:48 am

Agree, fine with Forte coming back if he takes a discount, but seems unlikely. I actually prefer him and Langford as a 1-2 than I do either of them as a workhorse.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:52 am

I agree on Forte as well. I like Langford but I don't want to lose what Forte gives us as a passing threat. I don't see Langford being able to fill that role.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

SpongeWorthy
Superstar

Postby SpongeWorthy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:52 pm

San Diego is keeping McCoy who would've been a pretty natural target for OC if Gase leaves.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Trade down in the first, pick up an extra few picks, and take Jaylon Smith.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:Trade down in the first, pick up an extra few picks, and take Jaylon Smith.

Already have 9 picks (granted 3 will be in the 200 range) and I'm not sure he drops much past 11 if at all. If you like him, take him there.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:11 pm

i think i want whisenhunt if/when gase leaves

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:48 pm

rawaction wrote:Ragland's a reach at 11. I like him more after 20. Of players that could be on the board at 11, I'd be most interested (in no order):

Myles Jack
DeForest Buckner
Ronnie Stanley
Robert Nkemdiche
Leonard Floyd

Agree with this list, although I'd probably swap out Floyd with Shaq Lawson, traditionally a 4-3 end but think he'd be fine as a 5-tech. I wouldn't necessarily hate Floyd at 11 though, even if he is old as [expletive].

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Nice to hear Pace say this. I recall him and Fox being pretty non-committal about Jay when they arrived.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:29 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:Trade down in the first, pick up an extra few picks, and take Jaylon Smith.

Already have 9 picks (granted 3 will be in the 200 range) and I'm not sure he drops much past 11 if at all. If you like him, take him there.

Fine with me. Getting a top 5 talent at #11 sounds like a plan.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 am

Looks like multiple ligament injuries for Jaylon Smith. His 2016 season has to be in question. I think he could fall. I'm all for taking BPA at 11 and then trading back into the 1st for Smith if he starts to fall into the 20s. Actually, I'd be willing to do this for any player I like that's starting to fall.

1) Playoff teams are more likely to move around in the draft, because they don't "need" top end talent and typically those teams (Seattle, NE come to mind) do their own scouting and don't necessarily pick based on traditional big boards you see online.

2) It's what the Vikings did to build their team to the playoff team it is today. 2012 traded back into the 1st for Harrison Smith after taking Kalil. 2013 traded back in for Xavier Rhodes and Cordarelle Patterson. 2014 traded back in for Bridgewater.

Granted, the Vikings had extra 4ths in a couple of those years, but typical price to get into the mid-to-late 20s has been a 2nd and a 4th. But the Bears have the extra 6ths they can manuever with, plus the potential of trading Martellus Bennett for another pick (probably no more than a 5th similar to Marshall trade). But pick at 11, try to move back into the 1st (for Smith if he falls, for a pass rusher, or for an OL or even a QB) and then try to get extra picks by trading back in the 3rd.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 am

Guys....Brian Urlacher has hair....

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 am

Being rich must be awesome
ImageImage

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 am

If you hold your hand over everything below his eyes, he looks like Anthony Rizzo
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:53 am

Soul wrote:I agree on Forte as well. I like Langford but I don't want to lose what Forte gives us as a passing threat. I don't see Langford being able to fill that role.

I do. At least, as much as it needs to be filled.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:57 am

rawaction wrote:Looks like multiple ligament injuries for Jaylon Smith. His 2016 season has to be in question. I think he could fall. I'm all for taking BPA at 11 and then trading back into the 1st for Smith if he starts to fall into the 20s. Actually, I'd be willing to do this for any player I like that's starting to fall.

1) Playoff teams are more likely to move around in the draft, because they don't "need" top end talent and typically those teams (Seattle, NE come to mind) do their own scouting and don't necessarily pick based on traditional big boards you see online.

2) It's what the Vikings did to build their team to the playoff team it is today. 2012 traded back into the 1st for Harrison Smith after taking Kalil. 2013 traded back in for Xavier Rhodes and Cordarelle Patterson. 2014 traded back in for Bridgewater.

Granted, the Vikings had extra 4ths in a couple of those years, but typical price to get into the mid-to-late 20s has been a 2nd and a 4th. But the Bears have the extra 6ths they can manuever with, plus the potential of trading Martellus Bennett for another pick (probably no more than a 5th similar to Marshall trade). But pick at 11, try to move back into the 1st (for Smith if he falls, for a pass rusher, or for an OL or even a QB) and then try to get extra picks by trading back in the 3rd.

Has taking a guy that early off that serious of an injury ever worked out?

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is McGahee and that didn't work out THAT well. But I don't really follow college sports so I'm sure there are other examples.

It just seems like that severe of injury can be career altering, even for a 20 year old.

Thed Hoyerstein
Starter

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:16 am

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:Looks like multiple ligament injuries for Jaylon Smith. His 2016 season has to be in question. I think he could fall. I'm all for taking BPA at 11 and then trading back into the 1st for Smith if he starts to fall into the 20s. Actually, I'd be willing to do this for any player I like that's starting to fall.

Has taking a guy that early off that serious of an injury ever worked out?

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is McGahee and that didn't work out THAT well. But I don't really follow college sports so I'm sure there are other examples.

It just seems like that severe of injury can be career altering, even for a 20 year old.

todd gurley
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 am

well there you go. had no idea.

Return to “Other Sports”