2016 Chicago Bears Offseason Thread

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Re: 2016 Chicago Bears Offseason Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:18 pm

David wrote:For those who are fine/OK with this, would you have been OK with it if we hired Dowell Loggains and he wasn't already a member of our staff? Or if we hired him last year?

I'm just trying to figure out how much of it for you is the continuity factor.

Certainly continuity plays a part, and it is meaningful. But the biggest thing is that I trust Fox with coaching hires. End of half timeout usage, no. But coaching hires, I give him the benefit of the doubt.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm

David wrote:For those who are fine/OK with this, would you have been OK with it if we hired Dowell Loggains and he wasn't already a member of our staff? Or if we hired him last year?

I think the entire record matters, but the success of Cutler last year certainly helps. The rest of his record...

He's pretty accomplished at a young age as far as titles so that must count for something. The results aren't quite there but neither was the talent until last year. Probably wouldn't have liked the hire as much last year but then again there was an already fantastic OC available. There was no slam dunk OC candidate unlike last year.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

I think the entire record matters, but the success of Cutler last year certainly helps. The rest of his record...

He's pretty accomplished at a young age as far as titles so that must count for something. The results aren't quite there but neither was the talent until last year. Probably wouldn't have liked the hire as much last year but then again there was an already fantastic OC available. There was no slam dunk OC candidate unlike last year.

Guess I like Whisenhunt more than most, because I consider him that.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Certainly continuity plays a part, and it is meaningful. But the biggest thing is that I trust Fox with coaching hires. End of half timeout usage, no. But coaching hires, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's fair and it's the only comforting thing about this for me.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:56 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

That's fair and it's the only comforting thing about this for me.

Well to add to your above thought Fox turned down Wisenhunt before in favor of promoting his mid thirties QB coach/ first time OC.
Last edited by WrigleyField 22 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Other positive- Loggains has a lot of Shannahan West Coast exposure, an offense many wanted to run this time last off season.
ImageImage

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:09 am

Anybody here interested in tanking 2016 for Watson?
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:10 am

Sounds like Groh may indeed move from WR into the QB coach roll. The line if succession is being put in place (if Loggains proves worthy).
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:28 am

CubsBearsMagic wrote:Anybody here interested in tanking 2016 for Watson?

no
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:38 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

This is pretty much where I am at.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 am

lol

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 am

Um, I would have hated this move if we hired Loggains off the street THIS year. Because I would hope Fox could do better. If we did it last year, I would have been OK with it for the reasons Goony listed. I trust Fox's hires (though I didn't like the Fox hire). Continuity is about 85% of the reason I'm fine with this.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:04 pm

What the heck?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:06 pm

rawaction wrote:

Um, I would have hated this move if we hired Loggains off the street THIS year. Because I would hope Fox could do better. If we did it last year, I would have been OK with it for the reasons Goony listed. I trust Fox's hires (though I didn't like the Fox hire). Continuity is about 85% of the reason I'm fine with this.

See, to me, if 85% of the reason you approve is continuity, that seems like a bad move to me.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:07 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

What the heck?

Yeah, no kidding...wtf

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:30 am

I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:00 pm

David wrote:
rawaction wrote:

See, to me, if 85% of the reason you approve is continuity, that seems like a bad move to me.

Eh. Jay hasn't had any continuity since he's been here. I think it's a big deal. Also throw in the fact that Fox is over 60, Cutler isn't here for the super long-term, and I think it's kind of the best that we can do given the situation.

If the Bears were going all-in in developing the QB of the future or had a young head coach that you'd project could be around long-term if things go well, then I think it'd be a bad move.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:30 pm

sooo kyle long made the pro bowl?

Return to “Other Sports”