Black Monday

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Re: Black Monday

Postby Butterscup » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:42 pm

didnt he have his year end recap press conference this week already too? do coaches usually get to have those before getting fired? how strange.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Butterscup wrote:didnt he have his year end recap press conference this week already too? do coaches usually get to have those before getting fired? how strange.

Sure they do, if they aren't fired on Monday.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I had forgotten, but they hired Lovie a few weeks before hiring Licht as GM. And now some rumblings there were issues there. Power struggle?
ImageImage

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:36 am

Rumor is that TB was so afraid of losing their OC to another team that they sacrificed Lovie

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:29 am

Derwood wrote:Rumor is that TB was so afraid of losing their OC to another team that they sacrificed Lovie

Yeah, I think that's it. There was a lot of speculation that this could happen if they didn't make the playoffs a few weeks ago. Dirk Koetter is a well sought after offensive coach. And I don't think Tampa wanted to lose him as he was thought to be the heir apparent to the HC job. Also don't think they wanted to give Lovie chance to ruin another offensive coaching hire (this is the 1st he got right and he had help).

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:17 am

Derwood wrote:Rumor is that TB was so afraid of losing their OC to another team that they sacrificed Lovie

Should be pretty amusing if he still leaves.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:00 am

Apparently Lovie was informed by phone while he was at home.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:09 am

Banedon wrote:

He's be dumb to go elsewhere. No one else can offer up a Jameis Winston talent.
ImageImage

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:19 am

Also while I have no evidence to suggest this, I worder if Litch was getting any interest in open GM jobs and they didn't want to lose him, so he'll get a "promotion" that gives him final roster say.
ImageImage

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:38 am

What if I told you that Jameis Winston was a bad quarterback.

32nd in completion percentage
5th most INTs
17th in YPG
21st in QBR

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 am

I'd say he'll still be a good QB and is a rookie. Though I also forgot about Ten and Mariota, so my other statement is still wrong.
ImageImage

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:00 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:What if I told you that Jameis Winston was a bad quarterback.

32nd in completion percentage
5th most INTs
17th in YPG
21st in QBR

Eh, he was a rookie who was given the full playbook and never managed.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Wait, what?
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 am

Old Style wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Wait, what?

Is there a coaching vacancy with a more talented QB or ability to draft a more talented young QB this year? Tennessee probably has the only argument, right? The Giants have a competent QB and I could see a veteran head coach wanting that situation since they aren't often interested in building. Tannehill still has promise but he's 4 years in and the Dolphins haven't improved since he was drafted. The other spots are all clusterpucks.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:05 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Old Style wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Wait, what?

Is there a coaching vacancy with a more talented QB or ability to draft a more talented young QB this year? Tennessee probably has the only argument, right? The Giants have a competent QB and I could see a veteran head coach wanting that situation since they aren't often interested in building. Tannehill still has promise but he's 4 years in and the Dolphins haven't improved since he was drafted. The other spots are all clusterpucks.

Basically. Even if you REALLY liked one of the QBs in this draft, I wouldnt touch the Browns organization with a ten foot pole.

But yea, I totally blanked on Mariota when I said that. Things are a lot less stable over there though, and when you factor familiarity, Koetter would be dumb to leave for another opening over TB.
ImageImage

Return to “Other Sports”