The Rams don't like St Louis

Felix Leiter
Starter

Re: The Rams don't like St Louis

Postby Felix Leiter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Never saw Al Davis's kid before. Wow! Mark Davis looks as crazy as his old man with that strange haircut. How long before he calls the NFL's bluff and wants to put Las Vegas in play? Imagine Raider Nation in Sin City?
Why is the Chicagoland area never mentioned as a possible relocation site for an AFC team? Put a state-of-the-art stadium complex in DuPage County and it might be the push the Bears to compete.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:Never saw Al Davis's kid before. Wow! Mark Davis looks as crazy as his old man with that strange haircut. How long before he calls the NFL's bluff and wants to put Las Vegas in play? Imagine Raider Nation in Sin City?
Why is the Chicagoland area never mentioned as a possible relocation site for an AFC team? Put a state-of-the-art stadium complex in DuPage County and it might be the push the Bears to compete.

Because likely there's nobody who would pay for the stadium. Publicly funded stadiums have been exposed as the money pits/scams they are, and Illinois and Chicago are way too damn broke to even dream of such a thing.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:One of the owners to vote against this was Mike Brown...

Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.

So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.

Wait you're telling me this passed 30-2 and the two no votes weren't from the Chargers and Raiders?

Raiders and Browns.

Bengals

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Felix Leiter wrote:Never saw Al Davis's kid before. Wow! Mark Davis looks as crazy as his old man with that strange haircut. How long before he calls the NFL's bluff and wants to put Las Vegas in play? Imagine Raider Nation in Sin City?

Because likely there's nobody who would pay for the stadium. Publicly funded stadiums have been exposed as the money pits/scams they are, and Illinois and Chicago are way too damn broke to even dream of such a thing.

also the bears don't need to be pushed to compete

they just need to be better at hiring smarter people who are doing said competing (which hopefully they've done)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Just push the McCaskeys into the lake.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:17 pm

message to St. Louis:

https://youtu.be/pBA8CZUWUR0
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:19 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:message to St. Louis:

I imagine bartenders growling "we don't serve their kind here!" happens a LOT in St. Louis.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:25 pm

Felix Leiter wrote:Why is the Chicagoland area never mentioned as a possible relocation site for an AFC team? Put a state-of-the-art stadium complex in DuPage County and it might be the push the Bears to compete.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:26 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:One of the owners to vote against this was Mike Brown...

Brown has a well-documented reputation for refusing to go along with anything that helps the league become bigger and better. His primary concern in those situations is the impact of the new revenue on the salary cap.

So Brown prefers the status quo, especially when the status quo doesn’t require him to spend more money on players.

Wait you're telling me this passed 30-2 and the two no votes weren't from the Chargers and Raiders?

Raiders and Browns.

Bengals

Orange in the uniform, starts with a B...close enough.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Banedon wrote:Orange in the uniform, starts with a B...close enough.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:32 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Banedon wrote:Orange in the uniform, starts with a B...close enough.

Yeah, could've gone with the Bears too. Shut up.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Lawrence Phillips was so dejected by the Rams announcement, he commit suicide in his prison cell today.

Pushfrog98
All-Star

Postby Pushfrog98 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:33 pm

SpongeWorthy wrote:I guess Lawrence Phillips was taking the news pretty hard.

Too soon! =D>

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:33 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:message to St. Louis:

Nobody does
Spoiler: show

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Tim wrote:
Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:St. Louis is better off for it..

How is St Louis better off for an NFL team leaving the city?

One step closer to just burning it all down and starting over.

As opposed to that gleaming, progressive Constantinople of the Midwest, Chicago.

But I agree. The Stadium site Peacock & Co. proposed was not viable. I wrote a post here over a year ago how StL has faced three "500 year" floods since 1972, and we just had another one over Christmas. Our region has a major problem coordinating the building/management of levees.

But StL's biggest problem is brain drain. And the fact that half the city makes Detroit blush. The town is an absolute dump.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Lenny wrote:As opposed to that gleaming, progressive Constantinople of the Midwest, Chicago.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:11 am

Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:
Banedon wrote:

As opposed to that gleaming, progressive Constantinople of the Midwest, Chicago.

But I agree. The Stadium site Peacock & Co. proposed was not viable. I wrote a post here over a year ago how StL has faced three "500 year" floods since 1972, and we just had another one over Christmas. Our region has a major problem coordinating the building/management of levees.

But StL's biggest problem is brain drain. And the fact that half the city makes Detroit blush. The town is an absolute dump.

Levees aren't the issue, it's filling in the wetlands to grow corn and soybeans etc
Spoiler: show

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:15 am

Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:
Banedon wrote:

St. Louis is still fighting the Civil War and remains one of the most segregated cities in the U. S.. Many areas north of the Jones Dome are third world quality. That coupled with the drain of Fortune 500 HQ over the past 20 years, there has been a declining trend in corporate $$$. If you drive around Chicago and Minneapolis, you see new construction all over downtown. You would think the Mississippi would be perfect for riverboats and floating attractions. Last time I was there, Peoria has better riverfront development than St. louis.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 am

Lenny wrote:But StL's biggest problem is brain drain. And the fact that half the city makes Detroit blush. The town is an absolute dump.

Brian drain shouldn't be a problem if they just hack into every other city's supply.

That being said, you can't have brain drain without brains and STL has never been an intellectual hotbed.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:36 am

Chicago certainly has its share of serious issues, there's absolutely no denying that. But while its lows are low, its highs are really high.

St. Louis, on the other hand, registers on a spectrum from "meh, maybe okay" to "festering sharthole". There simply aren't enough positives to make the city redeemable. It's not mentioned in the same breath as places like Detroit without just cause.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:42 am

XZero77 wrote:Chicago certainly has its share of serious issues, there's absolutely no denying that. But while its lows are low, its highs are really high.

St. Louis, on the other hand, registers on a spectrum from "meh, maybe okay" to "festering sharthole". There simply aren't enough positives to make the city redeemable. It's not mentioned in the same breath as places like Detroit without just cause.

StL positives for me...the ballpark is nice...the zoo is pretty cool...a couple of good children's museums....

That's about it for me.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:43 am

Having lived there for 13 years now as an "outsider", the biggest problem in my eyes is that it's such an insular place. They have no interest in change or outside thought and it's really the biggest reason that there's never any progress made toward revitalizing the downtown area. There's a ton of great stuff in the city, especially for families, but all the white folk are so damned afraid to spend any time there that it's impossible to get anything substantive done to change the reality and perception of the city.

It's really amazing to me how many people who are from St. Louis end up back there, even after going out and experiencing the rest of the world and getting great educations elsewhere. It's just a weird phenomenon.
I like beer.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:58 am

On a related note, I'm really confused by Spanos. He is currently one of the most hated people in San Diego at the moment. Him and his lawyer. But it's because he won't sit down for discussions on keeping the team in San Diego. And with the way this vote went down, he got royally screwed on moving to LA. If he does move the team, he's just going to be a lowly renter and his team will be a shadow of the Rams in that town. He doesn't have near the money to take on a full partnership with Kroenke, and Kroenke knows it and is going to play him like a fiddle if he decides to latch on to Kroenke's coattail. He's really caught between a rock and a hard place at this point and whatever decision he makes is not what he wanted.

The cost to move the team is $550m. He'll play a season at the Coliseum where the Chargers will be the 4th most popular team playing there. He will always share the market, and that proved that it didn't work before.

Or, he could could take the $550m he would be using to relocate and the added $100m that the NFL is just handing him to build a stadium in San Diego, and he could own his own stadium and have the entire market to himself. And the fans would stop hating him here in San Diego because he'd finally be doing exactly what the fans have wanted him to do from the start. Maybe it's been leverage all along to get the city to build the stadium for him, but San Diego has held firm on not doing it. After watching what just happened in St. Louis, San Diego is smart in not caving to the demands.

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am

mul21 wrote:Having lived there for 13 years now as an "outsider", the biggest problem in my eyes is that it's such an insular place.

mul21 wrote:It's really amazing to me how many people who are from St. Louis end up back there

I lived there 6 years. How many times have you been asked what high school you went to, only to be met with bafflement when you explain that you attended school outside the st. louis metro area?

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 am

Good points, BB. When Al Davis had the Raiders in LA in the 80's, he wanted to develop the Englewood site for a new stadium. He claims the NFL blocked him and he was forced to move back to Oakland. On the San Diego side, Spanos apparently mentioned to Kronke a couple years ago that WalMart owned 60 acres of the Englewood property and was offering it around. Although Kronke married a Walton relative, he didn't know the property might become available. He never got back to Spanos and then later on purchased it. I'm thinking Spanos was ripped.

The Oakland/San Diego deal in Carson was doomed unless one of them was moved out of the same division.

As an old coot(David's words), the #19 baby blue Lance Alworth jersey remains one of the coolest jerseys ever. People called him 'Bambi', David. I hope they somehow wind up staying in San Diego

Return to “Other Sports”