Dexter Fowler

kente777
All-Star

Dexter Fowler

Postby kente777 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:32 am

I can't who I remember reading this from, but I think it was in ESPN's review of the top 10 outfields. It mentioned that the fact that because Dexter Fowler remains yet unsigned, he and the Cubs might agree to some short term contract. I still think we are a good young starter away from my perfect off season.

What about signing Fowler, keep Heyward at his natural position, and trade Soler for a good young starter? Possibility?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Dexter Fowler

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:43 am

Cleanup in aisle 3 mods
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:02 pm

kente777 wrote:I can't who I remember reading this from, but I think it was in ESPN's review of the top 10 outfields. It mentioned that the fact that because Dexter Fowler remains yet unsigned, he and the Cubs might agree to some short term contract. I still think we are a good young starter away from my perfect off season.

What about signing Fowler, keep Heyward at his natural position, and trade Soler for a good young starter? Possibility?

This team projects in the high 90s as is. It can afford to gamble on Soler and take on his downside. The upside of heyward in center and soler in right is considerably higher than fowler in center and heyward in right, who, incidentally, is probably a better defensive center fielder than fowler.

Aside from that, dealing soler (or baez) has been talked about all season and it appears the going rate for young pitching is prohibitive.

That's without even getting into my belief that youth in pitching is an overvalued trait, what with the volatility of pitcher health and performance.
Last edited by David on Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:41 pm

I do believe an outfield of Schwarber/Baez, Heyward, Soler/Coghlan would be less productive than Schwarber/Coghlan, Fowler, Heyward, and it would probably be more stable than bouncing people around for defensive replacement/lefty and righty splits, but I don't think the cost would be worth it. If the Cubs currently have enough money to sign someone like Fowler, I think it would be better spent at the trade deadline to improve where the most glaring holes might pop up during the long grind of a baseball season.

Signing Fowler really blocks two youth movement guys, which is what the future success of this team was basically built on. Baez and Soler can expect to see consistent playing time with this current roster, and by the trade deadline, they should have a much better idea if these guys pan out. So while I was a proponent of bringing Fowler back if they couldn't land someone like Heyward, I'd rather save any financial resources for the trade deadline that strengthens the team for the playoffs.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Yeah I think Soler's upside is high enough to give him the starting RF spot. If he hits well the Cubs can maximize his trade value at the deadline to improve the team if a better defensive/OBP fit is desired or keep him. If he hits like last year the Cubs still have more than enough assets to swing a deal to improve RF at the deadline.
Dare to dream....

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:42 am

UMFan83 wrote:Cleanup in aisle 3 mods

I don't think it's an awful idea to suggest signing Fowler to a one year deal. Here's the reasons I can see the move making sense:

-Fowler excels versus lefty pitching (something Heyward, Montero and possibly Schwarber will struggle with). Also Fowler is tolerable against righties, so a platoon wouldn't be needed for his position.
-Adding more speed to the lineup. As we all know its very tough to score runs at Wrigley with the wind blowing in. So adding another steal threat to the lineup would be nice in cold Wrigley games (as well as three of the five NL West parks, and when facing Sinker ball pitchers).
-OPS certainty. No one has any idea how Soler will perform in 2016. He's OPS could realistically range from 710 to 830. With Fowler the odds are very good he puts up an OPS between 750 and 800.

And after 2016 if Fowler weren't brought back Baez could be inserted into Right Field (or possibly Third Base, with Bryant shifting to Right). Mckinney and Happ may end up being good sleeper candidates for the position too.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:29 am

StylesClash wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Cleanup in aisle 3 mods

I don't think it's an awful idea to suggest signing Fowler to a one year deal. Here's the reasons I can see the move making sense:

-Fowler excels versus lefty pitching (something Heyward, Montero and possibly Schwarber will struggle with). Also Fowler is tolerable against righties, so a platoon wouldn't be needed for his position.
-Adding more speed to the lineup. As we all know its very tough to score runs at Wrigley with the wind blowing in. So adding another steal threat to the lineup would be nice in cold Wrigley games (as well as three of the five NL West parks, and when facing Sinker ball pitchers).
-OPS certainty. No one has any idea how Soler will perform in 2016. He's OPS could realistically range from 710 to 830. With Fowler the odds are very good he puts up an OPS between 750 and 800.

And after 2016 if Fowler weren't brought back Baez could be inserted into Right Field (or possibly Third Base, with Bryant shifting to Right). Mckinney and Happ may end up being good sleeper candidates for the position too.

He posted that because the thread was triple posted.

Return to “Transactions”