Is Hendry bluffing?

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Is Hendry bluffing?

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:10 am

Hendry has been quoted as saying that the Cubs might solve their problems "in house" (waiting for Nomar & Williamson). Neither one of these guys are going to be ready by the trade deadline, so how can he make a determination as to whether they can help us. Or is Hendry just saying that to keep his plans secret?

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:13 am

There's no way he doesn't add an OF. It may not be somebody we want, but he will bring in an OF. I also hope he doesn't make the mistake of NOT bringing in a reliever again.

Buford T Justice
Starter

Postby Buford T Justice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:25 am

I almost think we need help in the bullpen before leftfield. Don't get me wrong I'd love another bat, but the bullpen is full of holes.

TrueBlueCubFan
All-Star

Postby TrueBlueCubFan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:31 am

Buford T Justice wrote:I almost think we need help in the bullpen before leftfield. Don't get me wrong I'd love another bat, but the bullpen is full of holes.

full of holes? I think the bullpen is one arm away from solidifying.
Cubs record v.s. NL Central:(8-6)
4-2 Stl. 13 gms. remaining
2-3 Cin. 14 gms. remaining
2-1 Pitt. 12 gms. remaining
0-0 Mil. 16 gms. remaining
0-0 Hou 15 gms. remaining

4 wins when trailing after 7 innings!

Buford T Justice
Starter

Postby Buford T Justice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:34 am

TrueBlueCubFan wrote:
Buford T Justice wrote:I almost think we need help in the bullpen before leftfield. Don't get me wrong I'd love another bat, but the bullpen is full of holes.

That was a bit harsh I guess..But I can't seem to trust Wuertz or Novoa.

LuckyPup
All-Star

Postby LuckyPup » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:36 am

TrueBlueCubFan wrote:

how absolutely huge would a Billy Wagner be in this bullpen? How about Guillermo Mota-I know he has had his trouble there with McKeon-wonderr what we would have to give for him? I know his numbers aren't that great but he was lights out in LA-just thinking out loud-not really that high on MacDougal, lack of info I guess-I just don't want another Garland for Karchner debacle-making a trade to make a trade-
CubbiesRule

Buford T Justice
Starter

Postby Buford T Justice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:40 am

A Wagner-Dempster 1-2 punch would be HUGE!!

TrueBlueCubFan
All-Star

Postby TrueBlueCubFan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:43 am

Buford T Justice wrote:
TrueBlueCubFan wrote:

That was a bit harsh I guess..But I can't seem to trust Wuertz or Novoa.

I agree with you on those two. Both have very good stuff, just need to show more consistentcy. I am a little worried Dusty has overused Wuertz this year & he might slip a little in the 2nd half. If the Cubs acquire a McDougal or Baez @ the deadline, they can plug one of those guys in the 8th with Ohman as the situational lefty & Williamson as either a set-up guy or 7th inning guy. Weurtz and/or Novoa should be relegated to 6th or 7th inning duty. Remlinger should be traded b/c Dusty still hasn't figured out how to properly use him & Mitre & Rusch are the long men out of thee pen. It wouldn't suprise me if one of either Mitre or Rusch is moved @ the deadline.

Buford T Justice
Starter

Postby Buford T Justice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:46 am

If we got Wagner the closer by committee would work in that situation..For instance if in the 9th innings opposing team has 2 lefties coming up put in Wagner.. Righties Dempster.

TrueBlueCubFan
All-Star

Postby TrueBlueCubFan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:47 am

Buford T Justice wrote:A Wagner-Dempster 1-2 punch would be HUGE!!

Wagner would be a great pick-up, but whomever gets him will overpay for a possible 2 month rental closer. Philly is still in the WC race & the East division. If they are still in the thick of it come July 31st, he may not even be moved.

Meat&PotatoesMan
5-Time All-Star

Postby Meat&PotatoesMan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:48 am

I doubt that we will see a trade until we win a few more games. We've done well since the disaster in Atlanta, but we kind of handcuffed Hendry with that losing streak. We're certainly headed in the right direction though.

Hendry, bluff? Surely not. :D
“I think he acted like an idiot. I would have liked to see him do that against Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale or Rick Sutcliffe. They would have had to surgically remove that ball from his ear hole.’’ - Mark Grace on Ortiz's post HR antics at the WBC

WindyCity
All-Star

Postby WindyCity » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:05 am

Buford T Justice wrote:A Wagner-Dempster 1-2 punch would be HUGE!!

Don't hold your breath regarding Wagner - according to page 2 of this article:
Among late-inning relievers possibly on the market are Roberto Hernandez of the Mets, Jeremy Affeldt and Mike McDougal of Kansas City, Danys Baez of Tampa Bay, David Weathers of Cincinnati, Billy Wagner of Philadelphia and Eddie Guardado of Seattle. Wagner and Guardado are probably out of the Cubs' price range.

(bold added for emphasis)

Not sure what price ranges the writer thinks are within the Cubs' spending budget, but since its the Trib maybe they know something.

Buford T Justice
Starter

Postby Buford T Justice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:16 am

I'm not holding my breath...But it would make me feel better about our bullpen.

sonicdethmonkey0
Starter

Postby sonicdethmonkey0 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:47 am

i think the cubs would be silly to go after either wagner or guardado. they're going to command far too great a cost for being a short-term rental. also, there is no way the cubs would use either of those guys as set-up men instead of closers, and dempster has done a very nice job so far. he isn't the problem. get some solid middle relief help, and let somebody else get guardado or wagner.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:14 am

The cost of Wagner or Guardado will be too high should we get another OF. I think the only thing Hendry was doing was expressing hope in Murton and Williamson, which there is nothing wrong with. Also when was the last time Hendry gave a clue in anything. He barely speaks in regards to arbitration.

Meat&PotatoesMan
5-Time All-Star

Postby Meat&PotatoesMan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:18 am

I agree that the cost vs. reward of acquiring Guardado or Wagner is too great especially when they don't feel specific current needs. It's going to be hard enough filling the holes we have w/o creating imaginary ones (need for a closer).
“I think he acted like an idiot. I would have liked to see him do that against Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale or Rick Sutcliffe. They would have had to surgically remove that ball from his ear hole.’’ - Mark Grace on Ortiz's post HR antics at the WBC

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:42 am

Hendry has been quoted as saying that the Cubs might solve their problems "in house" (waiting for Nomar & Williamson). Neither one of these guys are going to be ready by the trade deadline, so how can he make a determination as to whether they can help us. Or is Hendry just saying that to keep his plans secret?

"I assume Sammy Sosa will be our right fielder next season"

Fro
All-Star

Postby Fro » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:49 pm

I think we'll probably get an arm for the pen.

I don't see us getting an OF unless it's someone at a Huff/Dunn level who will be a Cub beyond this season.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Meat&PotatoesMan wrote:I doubt that we will see a trade until we win a few more games. We've done well since the disaster in Atlanta, but we kind of handcuffed Hendry with that losing streak. We're certainly headed in the right direction though.

I don't know when Hendry will pull the trigger on a trade, but the Cubs certainly won't be sellers with their payroll.

Meat&PotatoesMan
5-Time All-Star

Postby Meat&PotatoesMan » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:36 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Meat&PotatoesMan wrote:I doubt that we will see a trade until we win a few more games. We've done well since the disaster in Atlanta, but we kind of handcuffed Hendry with that losing streak. We're certainly headed in the right direction though.

I don't know when Hendry will pull the trigger on a trade, but the Cubs certainly won't be sellers with their payroll.

I doubt we'll be sellers as well. There's no real need to have a firesale as we're not even close to violating the 60/40 rule. I guess hendry has to decide to go with what we've got (and those coming back from the DL) or make a trade. I'd like to see a trade made, but only for a player(s) who will be here for next year at the very least. No rentals...b/c we're going to have to deal prospects in this market.

tspain
Role Player

Postby tspain » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:42 pm

Who are you willing to trade for Billy Wagner? Or whoever else is on your list? I don't see there is much to trade for any help, unless you deal with a team that will take minor league talent. I don't see Philly wanting minor leaguers for Wagner. So who do you trade for help?

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:08 pm

If Philly trades Wagner, they'd surely take minor league talent because they would be sellers.

If Philly decides to sell, I see if Wagner comes cheaper if we take on Burrell's contract.

Bench Coach
Role Player

Postby Bench Coach » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:26 pm

He's bluffing.

He doesn't want to sound desperate.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:16 pm

When he traded for Aramis Ramirez two years ago, Hendry traded for a guy he felt could stay in the organization beyond 2003.

When he traded for Nomar Garciaparra last year, Hendry traded for a guy he felt he could re-sign and keep for longer than just 2004.

If Hendry makes a trade, it'll be for a guy who can help out not only this year but next year, too.

I think Adam Dunn is not a guy whom the Cubs can easily keep beyond this year, so I think the odds are against the Cubs getting him.

hawkeyecub
5-Time All-Star

Postby hawkeyecub » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:I think Adam Dunn is not a guy whom the Cubs can easily keep beyond this year, so I think the odds are against the Cubs getting him.

Why?
He's not eligible for free agency after this year, and will probably make around $8M in arbitration. If we traded for him we would most definitely be keeping him for next year at least and most likely through 2007.

Return to “Transactions”