Dunn on the market

inari
5-Time All-Star

Dunn on the market

Postby inari » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:49 pm

The Reds are ready to take offers on Adam Dunn, whose terrific power should draw decent interest despite the significant flaws in his game.

Read all about it.

It seems like exactly what the Cubs need.

Marco4
All-Star

Postby Marco4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Who to trade, though?
Any one of one hundred thousand grumbles.

inari
5-Time All-Star

Postby inari » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Murt, Marmol, Guzman? To be honest, I don't know how hot or cold the trade market for Dunn will be.

Marco4
All-Star

Postby Marco4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:54 pm

I can see a lot of interest on the board - who else (non-Cub) has their own thread?

It mentions pitching being demanded by the Reds....
Any one of one hundred thousand grumbles.

inari
5-Time All-Star

Postby inari » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:57 pm

Cubs fans have always been enamored with Dunn (rightfully so). I'm not sure that everyone around baseball likes him as much as we do though. Honestly, I just don't know how much the Reds are going to need for him. It could be Z, it could be some prospects. We'll see.

Still, tell me this isn't appealing...

LF Soriano
CF Pie
1B Lee
RF Dunn
3B Ramirez
2B DeRosa
C Barrett
SS Theriot

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:59 pm

Adam Dunn in RF would be an epic nightmare.

inari
5-Time All-Star

Postby inari » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:00 pm

muntjack wrote:Adam Dunn in RF would be an epic nightmare.

Almost as bad as Adam Dunn in LF. With his offense, you've gotta deal with the poor defense.

RynoRules
5-Time All-Star

Postby RynoRules » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Who cares about his D at this point. He's a 40 HR and .900 OPS machine.

Geter' Dunn!

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 pm

Dunn would fit perfectly on an AL team.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Not another Adam Dunn thread :roll:

E.J.
Hall of Fame

Postby E.J. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Yay. Another Dunn thread. I was waiting for one to show up. I would definitely trade for him and stick him in RF. Pie and Soriano are both above-average defenders in CF and LF respectively, so we can get away with a below-average RF. It would be great having his left-handed bat in the lineup. I don't see the Reds trading him to us though.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Posting on the first page
Dare to dream....

TheDude
All-Star

Re: Dunn on the market

Postby TheDude » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Tomy23 wrote:It seems like exactly what the Cubs need.

You would have to first part with 2/3 of Jones, Floyd, and Murton to create room, and that is simply just not likely.

The best available position to upgrade production is SS. Upgrade Izturis for an .800+ OPS SS is more likely.
"Get your diplomas boys, everybody's graduating tonight!" --Vin Scully, 4/17/2006, describing Maddux's masterful game against the Dodgers after he struck out Dioner Navarro to end the eighth.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Just what we need.......a 7th OF.

killthegoat06
5-Time All-Star

Postby killthegoat06 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Here we go again...

rickrolled
All-Star

Postby rickrolled » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 pm

get him immediately

sunnydoo
All-Star

Postby sunnydoo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Gammons was talking about this last night.

He said that Dunns options are voided if he is traded, so contract negotiations would be necessary beyond this season if he was traded.

Gammons went on to say that Griffey is also being shopped and was more likely to get traded even though he has a no trade clause. Gammons specifically mentioned the Southside as the #1 locale for the Kid.

My thing is that really all the contenders at the moment have solid OFs, with the exception of Arizona, who probably wont pony up the dinero for another guy. Cleveland is another possibility, although i doubt the Kid would ever go there.
Image Always with the Negative Waves...Stop with the Negative Waves Man!
Founder of the Tropics BandWGN GO WISKY!!!!

tkenm356
Starter

Postby tkenm356 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:32 pm

RynoRules wrote:

And a horrible hitter, to boot. The guy walks over 100 times a season, and still can't muster an OBP higher than .400

You have to suck something fierce as a hitter to put up 100+ walks a year and not have an OBP over .400. Adam Dunn just so happens to suck something fierce. We don't need his HR's. Go ahead and look up all the hitters who walk 100+ times a year. All the hitters who don't have an OBP higher than .400 typically have onme thing in common: low batting averages.

Call me crazy, but I like seeing a little bit of small ball every now and then. Drive the runner in with and opposite field base hit, lay down a sac bunt, etc. We don't need power hitters. We have three power hitters (granted Lee's struggling), and our power hitters can hit for average. Dunn is a waste of time.

If we're looking at a RF we need to look or one that can play defense and put up an average of at least .280 and an OBP of at least .350. I'd rather have someone who can put up solid numbers in both categories than be an extreme in one and the anti-extreme in the other. And Dunn's OPS last year was .855, and has only topped .900 twice in his 4 full years in the majors (3 times if you count his 244AB rookie year). For someone who hits 40+ bombs a year, that sucks

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Correct. Dunn's option is voided if he's traded. The Reds if they don't trade him now will either have to keep him for 2008 or get nothing when they decline the option.

Would I want Dunn? Hell yeah. Of course, he only fits if Soriano will shift to right. Whether or not that's possible I don't know. Assuming Soriano would move, it would greatly improve the Cubs offense. Also, with Pie and CF, he should be able to cover enough ground to make up for any of Dunn's deficiencies in the OF.

The Cubs could build an offer around some minor league arms and other parts.

If the Cubs acquired Dunn, here is a possible line-up.

RF Soriano
CF Pie
3b Ramirez
LF Dunn
1b Lee
2b DeRosa
C Barrett
SS Izturis/Theriot

I'd attempt to get the Reds to take Eyre or Jones in the deal to help offset the addition of Dunn's salary. Then, I might build a package around Veal or other similar prospect.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:40 pm

So around an 80-100 point increase in OPS from the Floyd/Murton combo (less if Murton comes up like expected) for 10 million dollars of extra salary and the loss of at least one major league pitcher and a good pitching prospect. I don't think it's worth it-if the Cubs take on that much more salary in RF, they will have absolutely no money or prospects to put at SS (or a little bit C) at either the deadline or the end of the year, along with making the Z extension much more iffy then it already is. Dunn would be an upgrade, but I don't think he's a big enough one to be worth the price-there are other areas that the money and prospects need to go for first.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:40 pm

i think you'd pretty much have to trade Murton in this deal. it's just not fair to the guy to be stuck behind Soriano/Dunn in the corners

RichHillIsABeast
5-Time All-Star

Postby RichHillIsABeast » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 pm

We're not getting Dunn with the ownership of the club still up in the air. You don't trade the level of talent required to nab Dunn and then not sign an extension.

Geez, the Trib went cold feet on Zambrano and wouldn't pony up the dinero to go above slot in the draft. No way does Dunn get inked to an extension by the Cubs. And if there's no extension, there's no point dealing for him.
Founding member of the Josh Vitters BandWGN

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:23 pm

tkenm356 wrote:
RynoRules wrote:

And a horrible hitter, to boot. The guy walks over 100 times a season, and still can't muster an OBP higher than .400

You have to suck something fierce as a hitter to put up 100+ walks a year and not have an OBP over .400. Adam Dunn just so happens to suck something fierce. We don't need his HR's. Go ahead and look up all the hitters who walk 100+ times a year. All the hitters who don't have an OBP higher than .400 typically have onme thing in common: low batting averages.

Call me crazy, but I like seeing a little bit of small ball every now and then. Drive the runner in with and opposite field base hit, lay down a sac bunt, etc. We don't need power hitters. We have three power hitters (granted Lee's struggling), and our power hitters can hit for average. Dunn is a waste of time.

If we're looking at a RF we need to look or one that can play defense and put up an average of at least .280 and an OBP of at least .350. I'd rather have someone who can put up solid numbers in both categories than be an extreme in one and the anti-extreme in the other. And Dunn's OPS last year was .855, and has only topped .900 twice in his 4 full years in the majors (3 times if you count his 244AB rookie year). For someone who hits 40+ bombs a year, that sucks

You're crazy (hey, he asked me to).

I'm in awe of just how bad this post is. Even ignoring Dunn for a moment, you'd prefer a guy who can bunt to a guy that hits 40 HRs a year? Really? I'm not misunderstanding you? I want to be sure, b/c that is crazy. Since the Cubs apparently refuse to put Murton in LF and benefit from his inexpensive production, let's put Dunn out there and benefit from the career .380 OBP and .890 OPS.

I honestly don't care if we trade for Dunn or not. We're not winning anything this year, so he doesn't help us much short term (more Ws, sure, but enough to make the playoffs? I don't know). And I'm not sure we're going to pay him what it would take to sign him for a few years. I'd have loved to have had him 2/3 years ago, but now it looks like Soriano and Pie have 2 OF spots locked up for a while and if we're not going to move Soriano to RF when we don't have a decent option there, I can't see us moving him there to acquire another multi-million dollar player.

tkenm356
Starter

Postby tkenm356 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm

GRCubsFan wrote:
tkenm356 wrote:
RynoRules wrote:

You're crazy (hey, he asked me to).

I'm in awe of just how bad this post is. Even ignoring Dunn for a moment, you'd prefer a guy who can bunt to a guy that hits 40 HRs a year? Really? I'm not misunderstanding you? I want to be sure, b/c that is crazy.

Yeah, and that's my fault. I should've clarified (I suck at doing that, it seems, as is evident by a lot of my other posts on this forum :) ). Basically what I'm trying to say is I don't want a three truths guy out there. I like the 40HR, yes. I don't like that all he brings to the table is his 40HR and that's it.

I'd take a guy who can put up a line of

.285AVG/25HR/85RBI/.360OBP/.510SLG

Over something like saaaaay:

.234AVG/40HR/92RBI/.365OBP/.490SLG (Dunn, last year)

If Dunn could just learn to hit for average instead of power he could still hit 30+HR but he'd drive in way more runs, score more runs, and have absurd OBP/SLG. Even if he boosted his seasonal average to a mediocre .270, with the amount of walks he takes and his power his OPS would easily be over .950, but it never will be, because Adam Dunn is a one trick pony, and the Cubs already know that routine
Last edited by tkenm356 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoopsCubs
All-Star

Postby HoopsCubs » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:43 pm

RichHillIsABeast wrote:We're not getting Dunn with the ownership of the club still up in the air. You don't trade the level of talent required to nab Dunn and then not sign an extension.

Geez, the Trib went cold feet on Zambrano and wouldn't pony up the dinero to go above slot in the draft. No way does Dunn get inked to an extension by the Cubs. And if there's no extension, there's no point dealing for him.

I believe this is a correct assessment of the situation. The high probability scenario is that Hendry has the green light to make any deals he wants to in order to improve the club if they are in the race, but only for two types of players:

(a) expiring contract after 2007
(b) under contract in 2008, provided the trading team takes back equal and existing Cub contracts

So, someone was suggesting shortstop upgrade.

The Cubs could acquire David Eckstein. He is a free agent after 2007. The Cubs could acquire Miguel Tejada. But since he's under contract in 2008 for $13M, the Orioles would have to pick up salaries on Cub players in 2008 to the tune of $13M - e.g. Jones, Dempster, Blanco plus prospects.

Return to “Transactions”