I Want that Feeling (Trade Deadline)

User avatar
Southpaw19
All-Star
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:37 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL

I Want that Feeling (Trade Deadline)

Postby Southpaw19 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm not 100% sold on Griffey just because of his history being riddled with injuries.

However, I want to be part of something big. I want that feeling I had the day Jim Hendry got Nomar. That was probably one of the best threads to be a part of on this site, and I would love to have that experience again.

This time though, I want the big move to pay off.

Is there a move out there to be had, that can generate that euphoria again? Can a trade of similar magnatude happen before the final weekend before the deadline?
Image

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 1817
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:08 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD

Postby Guancous » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:17 pm

Cesar Izturis+Wade Miller for A-Rod

User avatar
b_wiggy_66
Starter
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:34 am
Location: Bloomington/Normal

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:39 pm

Guancous wrote:Cesar Izturis+Wade Miller for A-Rod


might be a stretch

If we throw in Jones maybe they would bite though :lol:

inari
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Postby inari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 pm

I wasn't here for the Nomar deal, but man... that was almost as great as when the Cubs clinched the division.

User avatar
PrimeTime
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7803
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:02 pm
Location: Tinley Park, IL

Postby PrimeTime » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:02 pm

I hope Hendry goes out there and does get Griffey..Itd be nice to be part of something again like the Nomar trade..Soriano,Pie,Lee,Ramirez and Griffey would be freakin awsome..

inari
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9361
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Postby inari » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:06 pm

LF Soriano
2B DeRosa
1B Lee
RF Griffey
3B Ramirez
C Bowen
CF Pie
SS Theriot/Izturis

:shock:

User avatar
anabiono
All-Star
Posts: 3606
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:36 am
Location: Clearwater, FL

Postby anabiono » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:13 pm

i am very mad that this is a rumor because i have now gone from not really wanting him, to maybe being cautiously optimistic, to just flat out would be extremely ecstatic to have him!!!

oh hendry...let me say nice things about you for at least one day

please

Butterscup
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30635
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:25 pm

Postby Butterscup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:30 pm

I really want Griffey simply for the fact that when I was 7-10 years old all I wanted was for Griffey to be a Cub. Besides that I think he'd be a huge help to our offense and in the OF. A Soriano-Pie-Griffey OF would be awesome.

erik316wttn
Superstar
Posts: 19520
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm
Location: Southeastern Wisconsin

Re: I Want that Feeling (Trade Deadline)

Postby erik316wttn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:19 pm

Southpaw19 wrote:I'm not 100% sold on Griffey just because of his history being riddled with injuries.

However, I want to be part of something big. I want that feeling I had the day Jim Hendry got Nomar. That was probably one of the best threads to be a part of on this site, and I would love to have that experience again.

This time though, I want the big move to pay off.

Is there a move out there to be had, that can generate that euphoria again? Can a trade of similar magnatude happen before the final weekend before the deadline?


If nothing else, I want to build for the future.

In all likelihood, the Cubs will be sitting at home in October. Again. A trade for Griffey would accomplish nothing. If the Brewers don't tank, they'll win this division. Nobody else in the NL Central is a good enough team to overcome the Brewers if they just keep playing at this pace.

Griffey would be nice if the Brewers are faltering in mid-July and we're within striking distance. Otherwise, don't trade pieces of the future for a player with a long injury history who happens to be at the end of his career.
In Theo We Trust

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm

I don't remember the Nomar thread, because I couldn't get onto NSBB when it went down. It kept timing out on me (i'm sure smoke was pouring out of the server)

User avatar
Soriano12
All-Star
Posts: 4772
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm

Postby Soriano12 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:33 pm

I'd love another SS blockbuster deal...Brandon Wood plze. He will figure it out at this level, and when he does you will have a 40HR SS.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 24935
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Durnsville

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:34 pm

I was still hanging out at the whatever board for the Nomar deal. Ah, who am I kidding, I didn't post anything anywhere before I stumbled upon this here site.
Image

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 16582
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Little Italy/West Loop

Postby Omar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 pm

When the clock turned 3:00 on the day of the Nomar trade... everyone was pissed.

Little did they know...

User avatar
Brian
Superstar
Posts: 19884
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:43 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:01 pm

Omar wrote:When the clock turned 3:00 on the day of the Nomar trade... everyone was pissed.

Little did they know...


I was listening to the game on the radio on the way home, just waiting for something to be announced. Pulled into home at the end of the game, nothing announced and I was pissed. Put the tv on ESPN News and just sat there and kept getting more and more angry, and then news started to trickle in :o


....Though if only we knew how Nomar's Cub career would have turned out.

User avatar
Brian
Superstar
Posts: 19884
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:43 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Conversely I was waiting around last trade deadline for trading away guys, and after news trickled in I was nearly as pissed as when I though Hendry did nothing in '04.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 24935
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Durnsville

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm

also my wedding anniversary is July 31, so I never really get to "enjoy" the deadline
Image

Butterscup
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30635
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:25 pm

Postby Butterscup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Brian wrote:
Omar wrote:When the clock turned 3:00 on the day of the Nomar trade... everyone was pissed.

Little did they know...


I was listening to the game on the radio on the way home, just waiting for something to be announced. Pulled into home at the end of the game, nothing announced and I was pissed. Put the tv on ESPN News and just sat there and kept getting more and more angry, and then news started to trickle in :o


....Though if only we knew how Nomar's Cub career would have turned out.


Doesn't matter though, the fact that I got to see Nomar Garciaparra in a Cubs uni made it all worth it.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30635
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:25 pm

Postby Butterscup » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:44 pm

Bob Sanders wrote:also my wedding anniversary is July 31, so I never really get to "enjoy" the deadline


sounds like its time for a divorce.

User avatar
Brian
Superstar
Posts: 19884
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:43 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Cubbies75 wrote:Doesn't matter though, the fact that I got to see Nomar Garciaparra in a Cubs uni made it all worth it.


True, that first game was incredible. Several awesome ovations and moments. Like the first time he fielded a ball.

User avatar
tfarks
All-Star
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:26 am
Location: Boston

Postby tfarks » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:59 pm

I wasn't posting on this site when the Nomar deal was made. I remember being with my girlfriend and completely annoying her for about an hour thinking about what was going on. I called like 3 of my friends and got similar calls from others. I then went on to explain to her my man-love for Nomar and how the Cubs were unstoppable, although it kinda sucked to lose Justin Jones.

User avatar
Omar
Superstar
Posts: 16582
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Little Italy/West Loop

Postby Omar » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:51 am

Yeah, the ovation was great. Especially his first AB as a Cub... though he GIDP.

I couldn't sleep the night before though... and I woke up early.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 24935
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Durnsville

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:35 am

Cubbies75 wrote:
Bob Sanders wrote:also my wedding anniversary is July 31, so I never really get to "enjoy" the deadline


sounds like its time for a divorce.


consider it done
Image

User avatar
Southpaw19
All-Star
Posts: 3051
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:37 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL

Postby Southpaw19 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:38 am

Bob Sanders wrote:
Cubbies75 wrote:
Bob Sanders wrote:also my wedding anniversary is July 31, so I never really get to "enjoy" the deadline


sounds like its time for a divorce.


consider it done


And then say you were kidding and re-marry her on Aug 1 ;)
Image

User avatar
Roast
Maximo Ali
Posts: 25492
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:23 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Roast » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:59 am

I remember the Nomar trade. I was all about that...I even started the "New News on Nomar" thread that turned into the waiting room to find out if he'd been traded. That was fun.

As for griffey, I'm totally undecided. I went from being staunchly against it when I first heard about it, to now being really undecided.

I don't want to give up Marshall for someone who is sure to get injured as soon as he steps into Wrigley, but at the same time, Griffey is having a magnificent year and having him in the middle of our order would kick 8 different types of ass. Plus, we'd get to see him hit 600, most likely.
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

User avatar
rawaction
Hall of Fame
Posts: 32130
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 5:04 pm

Postby rawaction » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:03 am

I went and did laundry that day and had the TV on, as I was folding clothes, I saw it and I basically threw all my stuff in bags, loaded the car, and flew home to get on this site.....only to see the thread was already about 56 pages long.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests