Misc. Free Agent News

The Logan
Superstar

Misc. Free Agent News

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 pm

For news/reports that don't deserve a separate thread...

Joe Nathan's agent David Pepe said his client will seek an opportunity to close as a free agent this winter.
The Twins declined Nathan's $12.5 million option this week, though they hope to re-sign him at a lesser salary. The veteran right-hander returned from Tommy John surgery this season and posted a 4.84 ERA, 14 saves and a 43/14 K/BB ratio over 44 2/3 innings. He should draw interest around the league, but his velocity isn't what it was before surgery and the market will be crowded with veteran closer-types.

Aaron Hill is now represented by Legacy Sports Group.
Hill was previously represented by Beverly Hills Sports Council. The Diamondbacks are expected to decline his $8 million option for 2012, but have expressed interest in bringing him back at a lesser salary. The 29-year-old played well in a small sample after being acquired from the Blue Jays in August, batting .315/.386/.492 over 33 games while playing solid defense at second base.

Hill intrigues me, but mostly because I dislike Darwin Barney as a legitimate 2B option for the Cubs. Hill provides some sort of bounce-back, buy-low candidate but like most of you, I would imagine, I'm not sold on the possibility of a bounce back for him. Not much of a chance to prove himself in the NL though, but he did perform well. He did however have a good hitters park, though.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

rocket
Superstar

Re: Misc. Free Agent News

Postby rocket » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

i love how after i read sneakpower's posts, it looks like tony larussa can't believe what i just read.

edit: OMG WHERE DID SP'S POST GO
Last edited by rocket on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it for Kent.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

In the last four years, Aaron Hill has one season where he put up a better WAR than Darwin Barney's 2.2 from last year.

Is 2B a spot where we could potentially upgrade? Yeah. But we've got bigger problems with our starting rotation, corner infield, and outfield right now. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sink resources into a 2B upgrade when we've got an acceptable (if somewhat uninspiring) and extremely cheap option there.

That said, if another team out there really overvalues Barney and including him in a package would solve some of our more pressing issues, I think his production would be pretty easy to replace internally with some combination of Marwin Gonzalez, DJ LeMahieu, and Ryan Flaherty.

But I just don't see acquiring Aaron Hill as being a good move for us.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Barney's wOBA this season was better than Hill's for both this season and last season

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Admittedly, I haven't really paid much attention to Barney's defense. Didn't realize it was that solid

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 pm

What is considered the best place to look for defensive WAR?

Is BR's generally considered to be good?

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 pm

rocket wrote:i love how after i read sneakpower's posts, it looks like tony larussa can't believe what i just read.

edit: OMG WHERE DID SP'S POST GO

who is this crazy guy here

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:30 pm

The Logan wrote:Admittedly, I haven't really paid much attention to Barney's defense. Didn't realize it was that solid

He was considered a pretty slick defensive SS and he was moving down the defensive spectrum. Even if the scouting reports on him were a little generous, I was expecting him to be above average defensively at 2B.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm

The Logan wrote:Admittedly, I haven't really paid much attention to Barney's defense. Didn't realize it was that solid

Barney has been advertised as a strong defensive player all along. It's the offense that has been in question. He was pretty solid, but I still se him as a career utility guy and would prefer an upgrade when one comes along.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Goes to show you how much I bothered to pay attention to this season's team #-o

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Rob wrote:That said, if another team out there really overvalues Barney and including him in a package would solve some of our more pressing issues, I think his production would be pretty easy to replace internally with some combination of Marwin Gonzalez, DJ LeMahieu, and Ryan Flaherty.

i'd love to try robbing Minnesota of Liriano* for something like Barney and Marmol

yeah, it'd be a pretty uneven proposal, but they love Barney types (Punto) and proven closers over there and their pitch-to-contact conversion didn't work out too well with Liriano

*if his shoulder checks out

davearm2
All-Star

Postby davearm2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:58 pm

David wrote:What is considered the best place to look for defensive WAR?

Theo's laptop
Tim wrote:I'm still pulling for Dave.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 pm

I think the Twins still place a lot of value on Liriano. I seem to recall the Yankees inquiring about him but they were asking for like Jesus Montero or some crazy, irrational demand. I like Liriano probably more than any other person on this board, and last season appeared to be his breaking out season (despite his solid, but average standard numbers, he had one of the highest WAR's and lowest FIP/xFIP's of any MLB pitcher), but this year he regressed pretty badly and even I'd be skeptical to give up too much or him

But with Nathan leaving perhaps Marmol would entice them? And yeah Barney seems to fit their mold of traditional player. Might not be a bad idea. Marmol can easily be replaced by Marshall or Wood (if they resign him), and like others have said Barney has his comparables who can fill in in a pinch
Last edited by The Logan on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:01 pm

davearm2 wrote:

Theo's lap

agreed
Do it for Kent.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:16 pm

The Indians are holding strategy meetings this week to decide whether or not they'll exercise the 2012 contract options on Grady Sizemore and Fausto Carmona.
Sizemore is the more pressing of the two decisions because he's eligible for free agency if the option isn't picked up, whereas Carmona would still be under control. At the crux of the issue is Sizemore's health. While other teams will view him an attractive free-agent gamble, the Indians do not appear to have the payroll to carry him, plus a wing man, on the roster. If Sizemore does become a free agent, he would not be Type A or B, so the Indians wouldn't be compensated with draft picks

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:24 pm

The Logan wrote:
The Indians are holding strategy meetings this week to decide whether or not they'll exercise the 2012 contract options on Grady Sizemore and Fausto Carmona.
Sizemore is the more pressing of the two decisions because he's eligible for free agency if the option isn't picked up, whereas Carmona would still be under control. At the crux of the issue is Sizemore's health. While other teams will view him an attractive free-agent gamble, the Indians do not appear to have the payroll to carry him, plus a wing man, on the roster. If Sizemore does become a free agent, he would not be Type A or B, so the Indians wouldn't be compensated with draft picks

What injury(s) did Sizemore have this year? Based on his recovery/extent of injuries he wouldn't be a bad gamble for RF, if they deem Jackson needs another year or half year in the minors.
Screw Pitchers

dew
Hall of Fame

Postby dew » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:What injury(s) did Sizemore have this year? Based on his recovery/extent of injuries he wouldn't be a bad gamble for RF, if they deem Jackson needs another year or half year in the minors.

He started the year after surgery on his left knee, then he injured his right knee and suffered a sports hernia on the same play in July. He might be an ok gamble on a very cheap, 1-year deal but nothing more, I don't think.
Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
-Thomas Paine

To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.
-George Mason

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Sizemore seems like a very Epsteinian acquisition. I could see him being brought on to help mitigate injury/performance risks with Soriano and performance risks with Jackson. Or they could end up trading Soriano or Byrd and using Sizemore to start.

KingKongvs.Godzilla
All-Star

Postby KingKongvs.Godzilla » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:48 pm

I think most teams will look to pounce on Sizemore bouncing back, but I think he's a decent gamble for less than 8...hopefully/maybe way less than 8. Maybe try him in RF to lessen the defensive role.
Most people think Great God will come from the sky. Take away evrything, and make evrybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, you would look for yours on eart. And now you see the light, you stand up for right - Bob Marley

Beane/Randolph 2012

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:44 am

rocket wrote:
davearm2 wrote:

Theo's lap

agreed

Nah, Theo's got his own proprietary stuff.

kylescubs23
Starter

Postby kylescubs23 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:58 am

Any chance the Yanks don't pick up Swisher's option? I think they would be stupid not to, but I would love to get Swisher if they do.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

I'd be shocked if the Yanks didn't pick up Swisher's option. I'd love to take a shot on Sizemore. Probably the absolute epitomy of risk/reward at it's best.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:15 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Sizemore seems like a very Epsteinian acquisition. I could see him being brought on to help mitigate injury/performance risks with Soriano and performance risks with Jackson. Or they could end up trading Soriano or Byrd and using Sizemore to start.

he does love gambling on rebounds from injury risks

Smoltz
Baldelli
Jenks
Cameron
Bedard/Harden
Hermida

not a great track record with those but most were, i thought, good acquisitions; i'm similarly very intrigued by Sizemore

Cubs Fan Dan
Starter

Postby Cubs Fan Dan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:23 pm

Without looking at the numbers I would rather have Kelly Johnson than Hill or Barney, I believe KJ is a free agent as well correct?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Cubs Fan Dan wrote:Without looking at the numbers I would rather have Kelly Johnson than Hill or Barney, I believe KJ is a free agent as well correct?

These are the types of signings I don't want us to blow resources on anymore.

Return to “Transactions”