Re: What would you deal Garza for?

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Latest speculation from espn's rumor central:

Jason Churchill thinks Detroit might be willing to give up Porcello but doubts the
Tigers would be willing to give up Turner.

Would you be willing to accept Porcello, Castellanos and some lesser prospects for Garza?
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:07 pm

CubsWin wrote:Latest speculation from espn's rumor central:

Jason Churchill thinks Detroit might be willing to give up Porcello but doubts the

Would you be willing to accept Porcello, Castellanos and some lesser prospects for Garza?

NO

mookie
All-Star

Postby mookie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:09 pm

If they want Garza they are giving up Turner. Suck it and see Detroit.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:37 pm

If Porcello and Castellanos are the 2 headliners, I'd still do it IF both Smyly and Crosby are included. To me, that's still a solid package of players. Smyly and Crosby would be our 2 best pitching prospects, or at least right on a par with McNutt. This said, I can't imagine we can't pull something better than THIS out of someone else. Still worth doing though, if it's me. But I really like Smyly.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:38 pm

I would, but only because I'm not quite as sold out on Garza as most are.

bleedingblue
Starter

Postby bleedingblue » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Marlins in now according to Rosenthal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosen ... 1555353600

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:58 pm

bleedingblue wrote:Marlins in now according to Rosenthal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosen ... 1555353600

Further link... http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbb ... _post=true

The Marlins, after failing to land Athletics left-hander Gio Gonzalez, have serious interest in Garza, according to major-league sources.

No deal is close, and the Cubs continue to speak to other clubs, including the Detroit Tigers, sources say.

Class A outfielder Christian Yelich, 20, likely is on the Cubs’ wish list from the Marlins; he was among the players whom the Athletics targeted in their talks with the Marlins about Gonzalez, sources say.

Third baseman Matt Dominguez, first baseman Gaby Sanchez, outfielder Chris Coghlan and reliever Jose Ceda are among the other players the Marlins are willing to include in trades, according to rival clubs.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:59 pm

If we needed to move Garza for a salary dump or an expiring contract, then yes Id take that package. However, remember there's absolutely no urgency to trade Garza and even if we hung onto him until mid season his value would be just as high, probably higher depending who's in contention and in need of a front end starter. Say July rolls around and KC is in it and desires that they'll be willing to put Myers in a package and then Detroit decides to budge on Turner.

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Breaking news - Rick Porcello sucks.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:09 pm

Hopefully Theo and Co. can drum up enough interest from multiple teams and get the Tigers to throw in Turner as Rosenthal mentioned. I don't think Garza can bring that good of a prospect unless one of the teams gets desperate though. As far as the packages teams can offer, I think I would rate the Marlins possible offerings as the least desirable.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 pm

JeffH wrote:

Agreed. Ceiling's not nearly high enough to exchange Garza for him.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

Ronnie Woo Woo
All-Star

Postby Ronnie Woo Woo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:20 pm

That PSD insider guy thinks it'll be Detroit and Turner will be one of the players in the deal.

Ronnie Woo Woo
All-Star

Postby Ronnie Woo Woo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 pm

b_wiggy_66 wrote:Hopefully Theo and Co. can drum up enough interest from multiple teams and get the Tigers to throw in Turner as Rosenthal mentioned. I don't think Garza can bring that good of a prospect unless one of the teams gets desperate though. As far as the packages teams can offer, I think I would rate the Marlins possible offerings as the least desirable.

Why would Garza not bring back a great return?

Little Slide Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:36 pm

Marlins Have Serious Interest In Matt Garza
By Zach Links [December 31 at 3:25pm CST]
The Marlins have serious interest in Cubs pitcher Matt Garza, Major League sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Marlins' interest was sparked after they failed to land left-hander Gio Gonzalez from the Athletics.

The two sides are not close to a deal and the Cubs continue to speak to other clubs, including the Tigers, according to sources. The Yankees have also expressed interest in Garza, but the asking price for the 28-year-old is a stumbling block for the Bombers. The Red Sox and Blue Jays are also in on the pitcher but talks have slowed with both teams.

Rosenthal writes that the Tigers might have the upper hand if they are willing to include right-hander Jacob Turner in a deal. Rival executives say the Cubs are desperate for young starting pitching. Meanwhile, the Marlins have more position players to offer.

Marlins' Class-A outfielder Christian Yelich is likely on the Cubs' wish list and was among the players the Athletics were targeting in a possible deal for Gonzalez. Rival clubs say Matt Dominguez, Gaby Sanchez, Chris Coghlan, and Jose Ceda are among the other players Miami is willing to part with.

LoMo please.

Conky
Role Player

Postby Conky » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:36 pm

lol Jose Ceda:

On August 14, 2011, Ceda gained some infamy by walking relief pitcher Santiago Casilla on four pitches when Casilla was standing at the outermost point of the batter's box, clearly not intending to swing at any pitches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Ceda

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Conky wrote:lol Jose Ceda:

On August 14, 2011, Ceda gained some infamy by walking relief pitcher Santiago Casilla on four pitches when Casilla was standing at the outermost point of the batter's box, clearly not intending to swing at any pitches.

I was watching that live. one of the more entertaining ABs of the year.
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

Little Slide Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 pm

CubsWin wrote:
JeffH wrote:

Agreed. Ceiling's not nearly high enough to exchange Garza for him.

I remember hearing a very vague speculation that we could deal Z to Detroit for Porcello, which I'd do in a heartbeat, but the one trade chip we can use for some big time prospects, no thank you very much. Maybe as a 3rd piece in a package.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Ronnie Woo Woo wrote:
b_wiggy_66 wrote:Hopefully Theo and Co. can drum up enough interest from multiple teams and get the Tigers to throw in Turner as Rosenthal mentioned. I don't think Garza can bring that good of a prospect unless one of the teams gets desperate though. As far as the packages teams can offer, I think I would rate the Marlins possible offerings as the least desirable.

Why would Garza not bring back a great return?

I have a hard time believing Garza could bring back a top prospect, especially the caliber of Turner. If he had more than two years left before free agency I could see someone like Turner possibly coming back in a deal.

He will bring back a good group, I just don't know if we could get the Tiger's #1 prospect for him.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:43 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Conky wrote:lol Jose Ceda:

I was watching that live. one of the more entertaining ABs of the year.

Great, we get to bring back a guy we traded for Kevin Gregg... #-o

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 pm

KyleJRM wrote:I would, but only because I'm not quite as sold out on Garza as most are.

I'm sold on the improvement, but a good chunk of that is simply the result of throwing a LOT more breaking pitches. When I see that, I also begin to brace myself for the inevitable injury to strike.

It also doesn't help that I buy into the whole "there are two types of pitchers -- those who have had tommy john surgery, and those who haven't had tommy john surgery... yet" line of thinking.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:46 pm

Unless LoMo is involved, I want nothing to do with a Marlins offer. And even if LoMo IS part of what they're willing to give up, I'd still prefer a pitching heavy package.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:49 pm

davell wrote:Unless LoMo is involved, I want nothing to do with a Marlins offer. And even if LoMo IS part of what they're willing to give up, I'd still prefer a pitching heavy package.

Agree completely. Pitching is critical to winning and we need depth bad. LoMo doesn't help as much as 2-3 solid pitching prospects would.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Breaking news:

The deal with the Marlins should be completed before midnight tonight. :clapping:

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:52 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Breaking news:

The deal with the Marlins should be completed before midnight tonight. :clapping:

Maybe Theo plans on inviting the other GM's over to get really wasted at his NYE party... :-k

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:55 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Breaking news:

Source? Or just trolling?

Return to “Transactions”