Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

Postby ctcf » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Not to jump the gun or anything but, thankfully, the guy has thus far been pretty lights out. While it would be absurd to expect him to keep this kind of a pace, it might not be crazy to imagine a scenario where he pulls into the trade deadline with an ERA in the low 3's thanks to his hot start. While he certainly isn't a long term investment for any potential trade partner, he could be a solid bet for a playoff run. What do you think Theo and Co. can get for that?
Last edited by ctcf on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 11 times in total.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Re: What can the Cubs get for Dempster?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm

No idea, but if there was a team struggling to stay in contention with a need at 1B and for SP and they were able to get a nice haul for Dempster/LaHair before the deadline, that would be the greatest move they've made to date.

Mets, Braves, Dodgers all getting very little out of 1B right now.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Speaking in very general terms, I think they could probably get a decent package in return. Obviously, a lot of variable at play, but if he's doing well, I think they could probably get one solid upper level prospect and a lottery ticket or two type in the lower levels.

Of course, doesn't that depend on Dempster wanting to go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have 10/5 rights?

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

To be honest, I kind of like the thought of a possible Hamels/Garza/Demp/Shark rotation going forward. I'd like to have Demp back on a 2 year deal.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:No idea, but if there was a team struggling to stay in contention with a need at 1B and for SP and they were able to get a nice haul for Dempster/LaHair before the deadline, that would be the greatest move they've made to date.

Speaking very generally again, but I tend to wonder if it might be better to deal them separately, assuming of course, that both guys are doing well. If LaHair is performing, he'd be an intriguing mid-season trade chip as he's in his prime years and is still affordable for any team.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu May 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Nothing if he won't waive his 5-and-10 rights.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Tryptamine wrote:To be honest, I kind of like the thought of a possible Hamels/Garza/Demp/Shark rotation going forward. I'd like to have Demp back on a 2 year deal.

We could always bring him back as a FA in the offseason if we were to trade him this year
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:To be honest, I kind of like the thought of a possible Hamels/Garza/Demp/Shark rotation going forward. I'd like to have Demp back on a 2 year deal.

We could always bring him back as a FA in the offseason if we were to trade him this year

An extension may be the one thing that convinces him to waive his rights.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

An extension may be the one thing that convinces him to waive his rights.

If he loves the organization as much as he says he does, he'll accept a trade knowing that it's likely the best thing for the team going forword
Spoiler: show
is what I said when we were trying to trade Kerry Wood and Aramis Ramirez last summer.

The Tigers, Yankees, and Red Sox are some contenders who would love to get ahold of Dempster. If he pitches the way he has been, a new contract shouldnt't be a problem for him. Of course when you're 36, no matter what you do it's going to be very hard to get more than a 2 year deal.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri May 04, 2012 8:06 am

The new CBA is probably going to change the trade value somewhat on midseason deals on guys like Dempster. If a team acquires him, even if he's traded today, they won't have an opportunity to receive compensation for him. If we keep him all season, we can then offer him 12.5 mill, hope he declines, and then hope a team is willing to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and lose their upcoming 1st round pick in the process. Which we would NOT get, by the way, it's just forfeited. Our compensation would be one comp pick after the 1st round. So my guess is no matter how well he pitches, his value is less than the value of a comp pick. Our best case scenario may be to package him and LaHair together. If both are doing well, I could see a really nice, unexpected haul coming back to us.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

squally1313
Starter

Postby squally1313 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:51 am

Demp seems to love it here, and I believe he has 10/5 rights. I wonder how much the market would change if it was understood that he was coming back here at the end of the 2012 season.

Radar3454
Starter

Postby Radar3454 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm

davell wrote:The new CBA is probably going to change the trade value somewhat on midseason deals on guys like Dempster. If a team acquires him, even if he's traded today, they won't have an opportunity to receive compensation for him. If we keep him all season, we can then offer him 12.5 mill, hope he declines, and then hope a team is willing to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and lose their upcoming 1st round pick in the process. Which we would NOT get, by the way, it's just forfeited. Our compensation would be one comp pick after the 1st round. So my guess is no matter how well he pitches, his value is less than the value of a comp pick. Our best case scenario may be to package him and LaHair together. If both are doing well, I could see a really nice, unexpected haul coming back to us.

u think he would decline 12.5 mil???

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Radar3454 wrote:
davell wrote:The new CBA is probably going to change the trade value somewhat on midseason deals on guys like Dempster. If a team acquires him, even if he's traded today, they won't have an opportunity to receive compensation for him. If we keep him all season, we can then offer him 12.5 mill, hope he declines, and then hope a team is willing to sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and lose their upcoming 1st round pick in the process. Which we would NOT get, by the way, it's just forfeited. Our compensation would be one comp pick after the 1st round. So my guess is no matter how well he pitches, his value is less than the value of a comp pick. Our best case scenario may be to package him and LaHair together. If both are doing well, I could see a really nice, unexpected haul coming back to us.

u think he would decline 12.5 mil???

It's debateable, but why would you hope for him to? A 1/12.5 for Demp would be great, eapecially if we extend Garza and add another front-mid end guy. As good ad Demp's been, he's 35, so he might be able to get a 3 year deal from someone, but he'd be 39 early in the 3rd season of it. However, if he'd be willing to take a team friendly 2/20 with an option for a 3rd, I think he'd take it and finish his career here. Remember, he could have got a 3 year deal after last season but chose to pick up his option. There's no question that he's happy here.

Beer Kaese
Starter

Postby Beer Kaese » Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 am

If there is a contender in need that Dempster would be willing to go to it would be a nice. It would be a team in need of a #2 or #3 starter that would be willing to overpay (next season) if he produces. Yanks, BoSox and Dodgers are the first to mind. The Angels, Rangers and Marlins are also possible destinations. But really, this is a conversation better suited for six weeks from now.
Do not remove tag under penalty of law.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:No idea, but if there was a team struggling to stay in contention with a need at 1B and for SP and they were able to get a nice haul for Dempster/LaHair before the deadline, that would be the greatest move they've made to date.

Freddie Freeman seems to be doing okay:
.281/.308/.512/.820

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

What is the compensation to the cubs if they offer Demp a qualifying contract in the offseason (was$12M last year)? Supplemental first?

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

jumbo wrote:What is the compensation to the cubs if they offer Demp a qualifying contract in the offseason (was$12M last year)? Supplemental first?

Correct. I think that's pretty plausible at this point.

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Fri May 11, 2012 6:55 pm

KyleJRM wrote:
jumbo wrote:What is the compensation to the cubs if they offer Demp a qualifying contract in the offseason (was$12M last year)? Supplemental first?

Does the contract offer to Dempster have to be multiyear or could they offer him 1/13 and still get compensation? If a 1 yr offer would do get compensation it seems like a no-lose situation for Cubs

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri May 11, 2012 6:58 pm

jumbo wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:

Does the contract offer to Dempster have to be multiyear or could they offer him 1/13 and still get compensation? If a 1 yr offer would do get compensation it seems like a no-lose situation for Cubs

A one-year deal is sufficient.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri May 11, 2012 7:09 pm

A team has to be willing to forfeit their 1st rounder, in order to sign him. Even if he has a great season, at his age, it's certainly iffy that a team would do that.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon May 14, 2012 2:11 am

davell wrote:A team has to be willing to forfeit their 1st rounder, in order to sign him. Even if he has a great season, at his age, it's certainly iffy that a team would do that.

teams have given up first round picks in the past 4 years to sign adam dunn, adrian beltre, rafael soriano, chone figgins, jose valverde, billy wagner, orlando hudson, francisco rodriguez, raul ibanez and brian fuentes. i really don't think a lot of teams think about losing a first round pick when there's a free agent they want to sign.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon May 14, 2012 7:26 am

They very well might now. A team forfeits their 1st now, they lose a huge chunk of their draft allotment. They can't make it up by going above slot elsewhere. Yes, it's obviously still going to happen, but it's most likely only going to happen for the younger, bigtime FA. And with the escalating prices of FA, I find it hard to believe all teams won't look at the draft differently than before.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 am

Backtobanks wrote:

Freddie Freeman seems to be doing okay:
.281/.308/.512/.820

when I wrote it (on the 3rd) the braves were getting something like a 750 OPS at 1B.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed May 16, 2012 5:36 pm

From MLBTR:

Detroit could use pitching help or could consider trading for a second baseman or left fielder.

The Cubs could solve any or all of their problems.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Wed May 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Backtobanks wrote:From MLBTR:

Detroit could use pitching help or could consider trading for a second baseman or left fielder.

The Cubs could solve any or all of their problems.

Soriano and Barney don't solve anyone's problems.

Return to “Transactions”