Re: The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby ctcf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:38 pm

You don't say

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 pm

If we get lee i'll plotz
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:50 pm

yeah that twitter account is b.s., a guy i (internet) know has been crusading against that account the last couple of days

http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner ... iasco.html

DiamondMind
5-Time All-Star

Postby DiamondMind » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm

#Cubs and #Dodgers have been in trade discussions. #Cubs would send Ryan Dempster for P Zach Lee, P Chris Withrow & 1B/OF Jerry Sands

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 pm

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
Dodgers are favorites for Dempster, but haggling over prospects, @JonHeymanCBS reports. Braves, Nationals in, too.

The Nationals are in now apparently.

erik316wttn
Superstar

Postby erik316wttn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 pm

ctcf wrote:
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler
Dodgers are favorites for Dempster, but haggling over prospects, @JonHeymanCBS reports. Braves, Nationals in, too.

Do the Nats have anything of value after the Gio trade?
In Theo We Trust

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:07 pm

erik316wttn wrote:
ctcf wrote:
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Alex Meyer. But I can't see them giving him up for a rental. Ross Detwiler?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:08 pm

erik316wttn wrote:
ctcf wrote:
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Anthony Rendon and Alex Meyer, neither of whom I would imagine are available in a Dempster trade.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 pm

davell wrote:
erik316wttn wrote:
ctcf wrote:
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Alex Meyer. But I can't see them giving him up for a rental. Ross Detwiler?

Meyer seems more realistic than Detwiler, who I doubt they move (not to say that I think they would give up Meyer, either).

More realistically, they are probably trying to entice with a package of low level guys. The best arm they could toss out, after Meyer, is probably ... Robbie Ray? Can't think of another arm in that system, off the top, right now.

It's hard to see a match here. The Dempster situation feels like it's the Dodgers, and that it's a matter of time.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:05 am

toonsterwu wrote:

It's hard to see a match here. The Dempster situation feels like it's the Dodgers, and that it's a matter of time.

I agree, although time -- both in terms of the Dodgers losing ground (2-8 in their last 10), and the trade deadline -- seems to be running short in LA.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

tgkimmel
Role Player

Postby tgkimmel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:42 am

Night Game. . .

Going to be another unproductive day.
A prodigal returns. 2003 started a long decline that drove me away. Theo brought me back.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:14 am

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs and Dodgers "haven't found common ground" in the trade talks for Ryan Dempster and other teams are "being aggressive."

It's either a ploy by the Cubs to get the Dodgers to up the price, or perhaps the Dodgers are indeed no longer the favorites to land the veteran right-hander. Dempster is scheduled to start Friday in St. Louis, but the Cubs have a back-up plan ready in case he's dealt before then. The Tigers and Braves are also thought to be major players.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

Every year that I can remember, a team overpays for a guy like Dempster. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part but there are good reasons why at least 3 of these teams would do just that.

Dodgers: new ownership would love to make playoffs in their first season. Also, their GM is an idiot.

Nationals: The have a pretty young team and don't really have to go all in this year but their fans are really starved for this success to continue and with the Orioles drawing better than they have the past 5 seasons they have to consider the benefits of establishing themselves as "the team" in the region.

Tigers: have been all in from the beginning of the season when they paid big time money for Fielder. Their division is easily win-able. I thought that when they signed Fielder that their owner was old and wanted to spend what it took to make one last run just in case he's not around for the next one.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:03 am

Another reason for the Nats is that they will supposedly be losing one of the best starters in the league sometime in mid-August when they shut Strasbourg down for the rest of the year.
Dare to dream....

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:06 am

UMFan83 wrote:Another reason for the Nats is that they will supposedly be losing one of the best starters in the league sometime in mid-August when they shut Strasbourg down for the rest of the year.

Washington could really benefit from capatalizing from the excitement of this team. However it will piss me the hell off if they rebuild and win a WS this fast.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 am

Some columnist from Detroit was on the Score this morning and called Dempster a #4 starter (when asked if Dempster would be a disappointing move for the Tigers).

Also later propped up Porcello for having a couple of 14 win seasons.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:18 am

David wrote:Some columnist from Detroit was on the Score this morning and called Dempster a #4 starter (when asked if Dempster would be a disappointing move for the Tigers).

"A number 4", or potentially Detroit's 4th starter?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
David wrote:Some columnist from Detroit was on the Score this morning and called Dempster a #4 starter (when asked if Dempster would be a disappointing move for the Tigers).

"A number 4", or potentially Detroit's 4th starter?

A number 4.

And calling him potentially Detroit's 4th starter may have been an insult in his mind, because, IIRC, he basically started off by saying they had Verlander and nothing else.
Last edited by David on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 am

shnsajax wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Another reason for the Nats is that they will supposedly be losing one of the best starters in the league sometime in mid-August when they shut Strasbourg down for the rest of the year.

Washington could really benefit from capatalizing from the excitement of this team. However it will piss me the hell off if they rebuild and win a WS this fast.

I get what you're saying because I want that to be us, but let's face it-they won the equivalent of the lottery by getting Strasburg and Harper back to back. They've made other good moves, but getting those two in back to back years cost-controled... that's pretty big.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

Ryan Dempster has the best ERA+ in the majors this season, and is tied for 9th in pitching bWAR despite missing several starts. And 14th in FIP
Last edited by SouthSideRyan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:24 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
ctcf wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
@Kevin_Goldstein Interesting: Source indicates Cubs are targeting pitching "that could be in Wrigley this year" from Dodgers - which leaves me confused.

Come oooonnn Eovaldi

Curses. So fast, this guy.

Someone fill me in on Eovaldi, please.

BA's #96 prospect this year. Throws really hard. About MLB ready at 22 years old. Performance has lagged his stuff a little bit. IMO, a guy with the tools to really take off if a different organization/coaching staff can see the right tweak or two.

My father is a Dodger fan so I at least have some passing knowledge in their system. I would be thrilled for the Cubs to grab Eovaldi, I suspect he's going to be pretty darn good (and, I think, someone that could fill a rotation spot reasonably well next year).
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 am

David wrote:Some columnist from Detroit was on the Score this morning and called Dempster a #4 starter.

Maybe he meant 4th in WAR among NL pitchers? Or maybe he's just a another [expletive] idiot columnist.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:

Ryan Dempster has the best ERA+ in the majors this season, and is tied for 9th in pitching bWAR despite missing several starts. And 14th in FIP

I'm guessing whatever columnist this was doesn't even know what ERA+, WAR, and FIP is, let alone know how to use them to evaluate guys seeing as he cited wins as a way to judge/value Porcello. Just some hack most likley, the Phil Rogers/Kaplan of Detroit
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:45 am

MWV wrote:
David wrote:Some columnist from Detroit was on the Score this morning and called Dempster a #4 starter.

Maybe he meant 4th in WAR among NL pitchers? Or maybe he's just a another [expletive] idiot columnist.

haha

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 am

even if one throws out dempster's fluky-good 2012, if you go back through the last 5 years (since returning as a starter) he's basically been a solid #2. 3.61 ERA, 118 ERA+, 1.29 WHIP, 3.3 BB/9, 8.2 K/9. those are the kind of numbers that teams were paying $15-20m a year for (john lackey, barry zito, aj burnett).

a lot of meatballs seem to know what an ace is (verlander, sabathia, felix hernandez) and what a back-of-rotation starter is (marquis), but have no concept of how to differentiate between a pitcher like ryan dempster and a pitcher like paul maholm or jeff suppan.

Return to “Transactions”