Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

bukie
Superstar

Re: The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby bukie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:even if one throws out dempster's fluky-good 2012, if you go back through the last 5 years (since returning as a starter) he's basically been a solid #2. 3.61 ERA, 118 ERA+, 1.29 WHIP, 3.3 BB/9, 8.2 K/9. those are the kind of numbers that teams were paying $15-20m a year for (john lackey, barry zito, aj burnett).

a lot of meatballs seem to know what an ace is (verlander, sabathia, felix hernandez) and what a back-of-rotation starter is (marquis), but have no concept of how to differentiate between a pitcher like ryan dempster and a pitcher like paul maholm or jeff suppan.

Keep in mind too the constant air of superiority that the AL has over the NL right now. They probably think the #1 pitcher in the NL is no better than a #4 starter in the AL.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:even if one throws out dempster's fluky-good 2012, if you go back through the last 5 years (since returning as a starter) he's basically been a solid #2. 3.61 ERA, 118 ERA+, 1.29 WHIP, 3.3 BB/9, 8.2 K/9. those are the kind of numbers that teams were paying $15-20m a year for (john lackey, barry zito, aj burnett).

a lot of meatballs seem to know what an ace is (verlander, sabathia, felix hernandez) and what a back-of-rotation starter is (marquis), but have no concept of how to differentiate between a pitcher like ryan dempster and a pitcher like paul maholm or jeff suppan.

Perhaps he's using April of 2011 as the sole basis for this.

Tyrant
All-Star

Postby Tyrant » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:20 am

bukie wrote:Keep in mind too the constant air of superiority that the AL has over the NL right now.

It's like they haven't even seen the last three All-Star Games.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 am

bukie wrote:

Keep in mind too the constant air of superiority that the AL has over the NL right now. They probably think the #1 pitcher in the NL is no better than a #4 starter in the AL.

Exactly. Plus people are throwing out way too many stats. It's simple why people think Dempster is no better than a #3 or #4:

1. AL>>>NL
2. ERA past three full seasons: 3.65, 3.85, 4.8
3. Wins the last three full seasons: 11, 15, 10

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 am

Not sure if this is worth posting, but I will...

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpo ... tcount=697

Marlin Bystro wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:It seems more like the Cubs are stretching this out than the Dodgers.
Yeah that is probably more true. What has been on the table from the Dodgers for weeks now would be good enough for me.

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 am

i was looking forward to this being done when i woke up this morning... [expletive]
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am

I am starting to go crazy.

This has to happen soon.

Time to hit the the woods and tear myself away from twitter.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:51 am

Also, this...

Someone asked if it was Gould & Withrow

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showpo ... tcount=713
Marlin Bystro wrote:I don't think it is those guys. I think there are a couple of one for one deal on the table that aren't Lee. Unless there are long term plans for Dempster you should probably take it and there is no reason to pitch him again. Somebody could trump it, but I'm not aware of it. Seems fair fair all the way around.

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:53 am

the only guy other than lee that I would want in a one for one deal would be eovaldi
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:55 am

El Duderino wrote:the only guy other than lee that I would want in a one for one deal would be eovaldi

That's what I'm hoping.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 am

Damn, that would mean Eovaldi or Rubby.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 am

This needs to happen this afternoon. The anticipation is killer. Eovaldi would be a sweet return, if we make the deal with the Dodgers.

What could be a reasonable return from Atlanta? Minor or Delgado?
formerly known as PriorPower

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 am

Delgado is my absolute favorite one for one, pie in the sky, possibikity for Dempster. I'd want more than just Minor. Love Eovaldi, would prefer Rubby, injury and all.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 am

Post Count Padder wrote:This needs to happen this afternoon. The anticipation is killer. Eovaldi would be a sweet return, if we make the deal with the Dodgers.

What could be a reasonable return from Atlanta? Minor or Delgado?

Agree about the anticipaton. If the Cubs get Eovaldi for Dempster, then that would free them to take strictly the best prospects for Garza, without having to worry about if they get an ML ready pitcher in return.

I still don't know why the Dodgers would trade Eovaldi right now. Isn't Billingsley hurt now? Granted they would get an upgrade from Eovaldi to Dempster, but they're still looking at Stephen Fife potentially getting significant starts. And who knows how long Crapuano will be solid for them?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 am

Billingsley's MRI came back clean. I'm pretty sure they just DL'd him to get an extra reliever up for a week or so, since they can retro Billingsley's time back to his last outing before the ASB.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:38 am

Sahadev Sharma ‏@sahadevsharma
Thought Lee would be too big a return 4 Demp, but a scout tells me that others are underwhelmed & he's hyped more for bonus than performance

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 am

I feel like Epstein and Hoyer borrowed a trick from Boston's compensation negotiation tactics, and they've just spent the last four days spamming the Dodgers' fax machine with pictures of Lee and Eovaldi.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 am

ctcf wrote:
Sahadev Sharma ‏@sahadevsharma
Thought Lee would be too big a return 4 Demp, but a scout tells me that others are underwhelmed & he's hyped more for bonus than performance

Honestly, it's kind of true. The main thing that was exciting about him for me was the velocity (heard touching 98 and stuff) so I assumed the fastball was sitting 93-94. But I read the other day he's been sitting 88-92. The numbers are obviously terrible. About the only good thing I can say is he's supposedly spinning a good breaking ball right now.

Not that I wouldn't take him 1 for 1 for Demp in a heartbeat, but i've got concerns.

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:54 am

His numbers were fine in the insane Cal league. Obviously he's struggling in AA, but he hasn't been there that long and he's only 20.

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:57 am

If you can get Lee for a few months of Ryan Dempster you do it without thinking.

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:59 am

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Dempster talks could "drag on a few more days." Scheduled to pitch for #Cubs tonight in St. Louis.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:02 am

illiniguy wrote:If you can get Lee for a few months of Ryan Dempster you do it without thinking.

But you can't, so it's silly that his name keeps coming up. We're like Boston fans with the compensation issue.

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:02 am

El Duderino wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Dempster talks could "drag on a few more days." Scheduled to pitch for #Cubs tonight in St. Louis.

If Dempster gets hurt or pitches like garbage tonight, there's going to be a lot of acceptable 2nd guessing of Theo and Jed.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am

apete6 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:
@Ken_Rosenthal

If Dempster gets hurt or pitches like garbage tonight, there's going to be a lot of acceptable 2nd guessing of Theo and Jed.

Of course, seeing as we know what the other offers on the table were.

Elrhino
All-Star

Postby Elrhino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am

If Theo is playing this strong of a poker face on Dempster, imagine how reticent he's going to be to pull the trigger on a Garza deal.

Return to “Transactions”