Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Re: The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm

craig wrote:I'm guessing there are enough offers on the table that even if Dempster goes out and gives up four runs in five innings, it's not like all those offers are going to suddenly get pulled. If he strains his oblique, different story. So I'm not super worried about a bad outing, but I am worried about an injury. Not sure that's a huge concern, though.

You're putting a guy up for bid, and somewhat silent bid. If somebody else might still bid higher, wait. If the current top bidder isn't sure his bid is going to win, perhaps by waiting he'll raise that bid. So if a team has made a bid but it's not compelling, it certainly makes sense to give the opportunity to raise it.

But at some point the auctioneer has to decide he's waited as long as he wants to wait and is going to call in the highest bid. I hope that's today. But if Hoyer thinks a bid might improve significantly enough that it's worth the small risk that Dempster gets hurt tonight, that's his call and I'll assume they know what they're doing.

But I do kinda feel like this has been going on long enough. Shouldn't they have had opportunity to submit their best offers? Shouldn't Theo/Hoyer/McLeod have had opportunity to evaluate those? Shouldn't they have had plenty of time to call the other guys back andn give them the opportunity to improve their offers? I kind of hope they make a decision and get it done.

I agree with you. I can't believe they haven't gotten the "best offer" from any teams involved in the bidding if he told them that th trade was happening today (or any other date). The only way some team may increase their offer is if one of their rotation guys gets hurt today. Of course if that pitcher who gets injured is Dempster, we're screwed. It's not worth taking taking that chance.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Dempster starts tonight, goes 7 shutout, Cubs win.

He's traded tomorrow for the package the Dodgers have had on the table for weeks.

Cubs miss out on Cubs finish in three-way tie for No. 1 draft pick, lose tiebreakers, draft third.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:28 pm

FWIW, I heard on ESPN radio that Hamels is currently off the market as they try to extend him.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Olney said talks will continue with a handful of teams after his start tonight. :banghead:
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

@Buster_ESPN

A handful of teams dabbling in Ryan Dempster trade talks,and some proposals have been exchanged. Talk will continue after he starts tonight.

Ugh.
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

cubbyvirus00
All-Star

Postby cubbyvirus00 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

zzzzz

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:24 pm

If this is true, the thing that sticks out the most here is almost proves we're getting [expletive] proposals for him. We wouldn't risk this, if that wasn't the case.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

meh. if they think they can end up with a better deal by waiting, so be it.
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

DiamondMind
5-Time All-Star

Postby DiamondMind » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

El Duderino wrote:meh. if they think they can end up with a better deal by waiting, so be it.

I was thinking that driving home. Might be worth gambling and letting him start tonight. If he goes out there and dominates St Louis, might be enough to convince whatever team to capitulate and add that extra bit to the deal.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:31 pm

DiamondMind wrote:
El Duderino wrote:meh. if they think they can end up with a better deal by waiting, so be it.

I was thinking that driving home. Might be worth gambling and letting him start tonight. If he goes out there and dominates St Louis, might be enough to convince whatever team to capitulate and add that extra bit to the deal.

Another start can really only hurt his trade value at this point. I hope the gamble pays off.

PrimeTime
5-Time All-Star

Postby PrimeTime » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm sure as hell gonna be praying he has a solid start tonight then so these teams get finally convinced and throw in what Theo and Jed want. Lets go Demp.. 7 IP 0 ER

El Duderino
All-Star

Postby El Duderino » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm

let's hope he doesn't come out small and nervous
Mitch Williams wrote:Sacrifice bunts have started more big innings in the game of baseball than anything else.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

He's beyond due to have a bad start. With the possibility of that and also the injury chance, the only reason this isn't getting done is because the offers must be horrible. You'd think a team would want him making this start for them, with as close as the races are.

DiamondMind
5-Time All-Star

Postby DiamondMind » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 pm

No reason not to trust Hoyer at this point in time.

El Duderino wrote:let's hope he doesn't come out small and nervous

Nicely done sir.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 pm

davell wrote:He's beyond due to have a bad start. With the possibility of that and also the injury chance, the only reason this isn't getting done is because the offers must be horrible. You'd think a team would want him making this start for them, with as close as the races are.

I suppose there's still a shot that Theo/Hoyer are holding their poker faces until the very last second in hopes of getting just a little bit more.

Or at least, that's my hope. I just dont see the upside of him starting. He either keeps his trade value as high as it currently is or drops it due to injury/a crappy performance. Not sure his value can really go up from where it is, barring a no-hitter or something.
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

Tyrant
All-Star

Postby Tyrant » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm

I think they're probably waiting until the last minute for the best offer. If he starts tonight, that's one fewer start he can make for whoever gets him. I suppose that could actually decrease his value, but maybe they're hoping some team will boost their offer to get it done.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 pm

This is starting to feel very much like Garza to the Tigers/Rangers/Blue Jays/Tigers. Still, at this point other than alleviating fan angst there's little benefit to rushing the matter just yet if the right offer isn't on the table. Dempster's been consistent enough since becoming a full time starter that even if he has a rough start, it's not going to have much of an effect on the return. Only an injury would have a major impact on that.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Info that's probably not worth a damn thing, but Eovaldi is scheduled to start Sunday, against the Mets, in New York. They could easily give Dempster an extra couple of days rest before that start. Whether Eovaldi is in the deal or not, because that's the spot Dempster would be taking.

utkcub
Role Player

Postby utkcub » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:01 pm

guarantee theo has made a bet over dempster's start tonight. If he does well we get higher rated prospects from the team of choice. Beautiful.

inari
5-Time All-Star

Postby inari » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 pm

utkcub wrote:guarantee theo has made a bet over dempster's start tonight. If he does well we get higher rated prospects from the team of choice. Beautiful.

wat

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:21 pm

@BleacherNation: RT @carriemuskat: And, yes, Dempster is in #Cubs clubhouse, prepping for start

@BleacherNation: RT @CarrieMuskat: Justin Germano also is in #Cubs clubhouse

Sounds like Dempster's the starter at this time, but if a deal is completed, be it before the game or middle of the game Demp will be pulled with Germano ready to take over at a moments notice.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:19 pm

I can't believe people think a bad start for Dempster is going to hurt the return.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I can't believe people think a bad start for Dempster is going to hurt the return.

This.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

utkcub wrote:guarantee theo has made a bet over dempster's start tonight. If he does well we get higher rated prospects from the team of choice. Beautiful.

Did he make this bet in the back room of a seedy laundromat?
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

davell wrote:If this is true, the thing that sticks out the most here is almost proves we're getting [expletive] proposals for him. We wouldn't risk this, if that wasn't the case.

I tend to think that's the case as well. The Nationals are supposedly in it, but they aren't willing to give up anything interesting so ... what are they giving up? Filler? We don't need filler. We have filler.

Return to “Transactions”