craig wrote:I'm guessing there are enough offers on the table that even if Dempster goes out and gives up four runs in five innings, it's not like all those offers are going to suddenly get pulled. If he strains his oblique, different story. So I'm not super worried about a bad outing, but I am worried about an injury. Not sure that's a huge concern, though.
You're putting a guy up for bid, and somewhat silent bid. If somebody else might still bid higher, wait. If the current top bidder isn't sure his bid is going to win, perhaps by waiting he'll raise that bid. So if a team has made a bid but it's not compelling, it certainly makes sense to give the opportunity to raise it.
But at some point the auctioneer has to decide he's waited as long as he wants to wait and is going to call in the highest bid. I hope that's today. But if Hoyer thinks a bid might improve significantly enough that it's worth the small risk that Dempster gets hurt tonight, that's his call and I'll assume they know what they're doing.
But I do kinda feel like this has been going on long enough. Shouldn't they have had opportunity to submit their best offers? Shouldn't Theo/Hoyer/McLeod have had opportunity to evaluate those? Shouldn't they have had plenty of time to call the other guys back andn give them the opportunity to improve their offers? I kind of hope they make a decision and get it done.
I agree with you. I can't believe they haven't gotten the "best offer" from any teams involved in the bidding if he told them that th trade was happening today (or any other date). The only way some team may increase their offer is if one of their rotation guys gets hurt today. Of course if that pitcher who gets injured is Dempster, we're screwed. It's not worth taking taking that chance.