Dempster Traded to Texas for 3B Villanueva & RHP Hendricks

davell
Superstar

Re: The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:31 pm

An injury is the MAIN thing. Even if we were getting Gould straight up for him. A DL stint means he won't be dealt. With Garza or even Maholm, if you eanted to, they're tradeable in the offseason. That's my main issue. That being said, my honest guess is we're not getting nearly the type of offers we want here, so while we may be in a rush, it's certainly possible no one else is.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Irrelevant Dude
All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:02 pm

toonsterwu wrote:The Nationals are supposedly in it, but they aren't willing to give up anything interesting so ... what are they giving up?

I am mildly annoyed by all the reports of teams being interested in Dempster but unwilling to give up top prospects for a "rental player". Yes he may be a rental, but he is a virtually cost-free (assuming the Cubs are picking up the salary) starting pitcher who can plug right in as a #2 starter in almost any rotation. That is a difference-making piece for a playoff team, so they better be willing to give up something more than mid-tier guys.
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:09 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I can't believe people think a bad start for Dempster is going to hurt the return.

i don't care about that, but dempster is 35 and has already had 2 injuries this season that would both have crushed his trade value right now. all it takes is one minor injury and then we get nothing.

i agree with davell. they must be really underwhelmed with the current offers if they're willing to risk any kind of injury this close to the deadline.

tgkimmel
Role Player

Postby tgkimmel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:42 pm

If the offers are that bad, my response would be that Dempster walks as a free agent I get a sandwich pick. The player we get there plus the bonus pool flexibility is worth at least an A prospect. We will start there. If that is too much, feel free to call back when you change your mind.

Whether i'd have the guts to stick to that or not is doubtful. To quote the American Captain from The Hunt For Red October, "the hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch."
A prodigal returns. 2003 started a long decline that drove me away. Theo brought me back.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm

The guy had an oblique tweak, he's not running out there without a torn labrum.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:47 pm

i didn't say anything about aggravating past injuries. i'm saying that any minor injury that's similar in severity to the two he's already has this year would be enough to put him out past the deadline.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Sveum has his phone turned up loud, just in case he gets a call saying Dempster's been dealt, according to Muskat.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

tgkimmel
Role Player

Postby tgkimmel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm

dextermorgan wrote:i didn't say anything about aggravating past injuries. i'm saying that any minor injury similar to the two he's already has this year would be enough to put him out past the deadline.

I believe you can trade a player on the DL. Much more complicated I am sure and reduced value, but it would still be possible.
A prodigal returns. 2003 started a long decline that drove me away. Theo brought me back.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Prediction: Dempster will strike out the side in the first in dominating fashion and traded before the Cubs bat in the second.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:54 pm

tgkimmel wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:i didn't say anything about aggravating past injuries. i'm saying that any minor injury similar to the two he's already has this year would be enough to put him out past the deadline.

I believe you can trade a player on the DL. Much more complicated I am sure and reduced value, but it would still be possible.

i can't imagine anyone giving up anything of significant value, even if it's a minor injury. especially if guys like hamels/greinke/garza become available.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:55 pm

davell wrote:Sveum has his phone turned up loud, just in case he gets a call saying Dempster's been dealt, according to Muskat.

he set the ringtone to "who let the dogs out"

tgkimmel
Role Player

Postby tgkimmel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
tgkimmel wrote:

i can't imagine anyone giving up anything of significant value, even if it's a minor injury. especially if guys like hamels/greinke/garza become available.

I agree

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:02 pm

What's the line here? Should we have not started him last game? What if we don't trade Dempster for another 3 days? Should we sit him that entire time while Jed negotiates?
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:04 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
davell wrote:Sveum has his phone turned up loud, just in case he gets a call saying Dempster's been dealt, according to Muskat.

he set the ringtone to "who let the dogs out"

Too bad that's not for someone else because you know Dempster would be calling him every few minutes just to mess with him.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Named After Maddux
Role Player

The Dempster Trade Thread

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:04 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:What's the line here? Should we have not started him last game? What if we don't trade Dempster for another 3 days? Should we sit him that entire time while Jed negotiates?

I think we needed to start him last game. Coming off DL, no one would have offered much of a package if he didn't prove that he could pitch.

tgkimmel
Role Player

Postby tgkimmel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:What's the line here? Should we have not started him last game? What if we don't trade Dempster for another 3 days? Should we sit him that entire time while Jed negotiates?

That's why Theo makes the big bucks.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Wasn't Dempster's injury a month ago "disastrous" for his trade value according to Dexter?

What are the odds that Dempster has an injury in this start, especially one large enough to impact a trade(i.e. a blister doesn't matter)? Maybe 5% at the absolute highest?

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Wasn't Dempster's injury a month ago "disastrous" for his trade value according to Dexter?

What are the odds that Dempster has an injury in this start, especially one large enough to impact a trade(i.e. a blister doesn't matter)? Maybe 5% at the absolute highest?

it really boils down to what you think of the front office. if you trust them, you know that they aren't being offered quite enough yet and that the small chance of injury in this start is worth another five days of negotiating. if you aren't sure about them, you think that plenty is on the table already and they are making an egregious error for relatively little potential benefit.

i trust them.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:26 pm

i basically agree (i trust them), but if it's true that gould/withrow or something like that was offered, i'd take it. i wonder if the offers suck and he's waiting for a decent return, or if the offers are decent and he's hoping somebody does something stupid.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I trust them too, but I can't imagine Gould is at least on the table, probably more, if the Dodgers offered him for Carlos Lee.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 pm

The Boston Red Sox also have made an offer for Dempster, according to another source, but it is unclear if he is open to switching leagues. He has spent his entire 13-year career in the National League.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... trade-talk

i thought the red sox said they were out on dempster.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:36 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
The Boston Red Sox also have made an offer for Dempster, according to another source, but it is unclear if he is open to switching leagues. He has spent his entire 13-year career in the National League.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... trade-talk

i thought the red sox said they were out on dempster.

could be that they're out because he's unwilling to switch leagues.

23sharks
Role Player

Postby 23sharks » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 pm

Young arms for the Cubs?
3:51PM ET
Chicago Cubs

Recommend0
Comments0
Email

Dodgers pitching prospects

1. Zach Lee, RHP
2. Nathan Eovaldi, RHP
3. Allen Webster, RHP
4. Chris Reed, LHP
5. Garrett Gould, RHP
6. Angel Sanchez, RHP
7. Chris Withrow, RHP
8. Scott Barlow, RHP

The Chicago Cubs are reportedly looking to stock their organization with young pitching in trades they make this month and Jon Morosi tweets that a deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers for right-hander Ryan Dempster will likely net the Cubs one or two young arms.

Since the Dodgers are the club that appears to be in hardest on Dempster, let's take a look at the young pitching they have that could be sent to Chicago. Above rankings are organizational, and are based on Keith Law's Dodgers Top 10 over the winter.

Lee, the club's top overall prospect, may be steep for a two-month rental, as might Eovaldi or any two of the above names. Though there is a chance the Dodgers could be trading for more than a rental, as Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com tweets Dempster "can insist on contract extension if and when players agreed upon."

This is getting really interesting, isn't it?

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm

would it really matter that much? he'd be playing in the american league for two months and then could come back to the NL. it's not like he's some awesome hitter and would hate having the bat taken out of his hands.

plus dempster seems pretty into the cubs' fan base and history, and the red sox have plenty of that going for them.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Roast wrote:
davell wrote:He's beyond due to have a bad start. With the possibility of that and also the injury chance, the only reason this isn't getting done is because the offers must be horrible. You'd think a team would want him making this start for them, with as close as the races are.

I suppose there's still a shot that Theo/Hoyer are holding their poker faces until the very last second in hopes of getting just a little bit more.

Or at least, that's my hope. I just dont see the upside of him starting. He either keeps his trade value as high as it currently is or drops it due to injury/a crappy performance. Not sure his value can really go up from where it is, barring a no-hitter or something.

roast, i just read your twitter page. i once told da bum, many years ago, to give up his dream. now look, he's the most successful caribbean poker dealer in williston, north dakota. i would suggest you follow in his footsteps.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Return to “Transactions”