Offseason Rumors

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Re: Offseason Rumors

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm

If it was an accommodation this why did they trade the manager's kid.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:If it was an accommodation this why did they trade the manager's kid.

@CubsDen Wouldn't surprise me too if the Cubs simply released Scioscia, thus saving the Angels the awkwardness of having to do it themselves.

Tangled Up in Plaid
Dripping with analytics

Postby Tangled Up in Plaid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Tangled Up in Plaid wrote:If it was an accommodation this why did they trade the manager's kid.

@CubsDen Wouldn't surprise me too if the Cubs simply released Scioscia, thus saving the Angels the awkwardness of having to do it themselves.

Ah.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

was just going to say that.

although this just makes it even more awkward in my opinion, since you bring attention to the matter with a transaction involving well known names before a release.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Maybe there's a coaching opening in low minors here?
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:56 pm

So it looks like MiLB.com put up an interview with him just this morning lol

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Was Gretzky a clubhouse problem or something? Not that he has a ton of value, but Scioscia has a sub-.550 OPS in 500 PA and is 25.5 years old and apparently is a 1B.

pitchcs wrote:Matthew Scioscia may have the worst minor league stats I've ever seen.

You would think we could have traded Gretzky for a young, low-ml pitcher with control problems coming off TJS rather than an overage 1B who can't hit ml pitching.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Offseason Rumors

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm

We better be getting some cash for #PTR in the deal.
ImageImage

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm

This was a "you scratch my back" trade. I expect there will be a favorable trade for the Cubs with LAA comming some time this season.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Good news

@MLBastian: Can confirm that talks between Indians and Masterson have ceased. No deal. Means Masterson more than likely hits open market next winter.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

CubinNY wrote:This was a "you scratch my back" trade. I expect there will be a favorable trade for the Cubs with LAA comming some time this season.

The super computer said Trout really disliked Scioscia's kid being in the same organization as him and that it increased our odds of signing him one day if we could trade for and get Matt out of baseball.
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Tigers acquired INF Andrew Romine from the Angels in exchange for LHP Jose Alvarez.
Romine will give the Tigers another option at shortstop as they look to replace Jose Iglesias (shins). He's the favorite to see the lion's share of at-bats versus right-handers, with Hernan Perez or Danny Worth starting against lefties. The 28-year-old isn't much at the plate (he's hit .250/.303/.270 over 74 games in the majors), but he can run a bit. It's possible he'll wind up with some deep league value as a cheap speed option.

So much for them scouting Barney. Dombrowski made it sound like this is their replacement SS.
formerly known as PriorPower

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:12 am

The Tigers ANNOUNCED Sunday morning that Max Scherzer rejected a "substantial, long-term contract offer" that "would have placed him among the highest paid pitchers in baseball" and extension talks have broken off.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am

Nice. The more the merrier.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:30 am

He'd be the only actual top-tier pitcher to hit the market.

I'm not even sure we'll finish 2nd on this one.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 am

Yeah, he's going to be so pricey, I'm not all that enthused. I'd love to get him, just don't think we'll be able to outbid the true heavy hitters. I hate saying that too.

Masterson though, I think we'll get him.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:54 am

I'll hold off guessing at our chances until they announce what is happening with the TV rights in 2015 and onward.

We were supposed to hear something by opening day, so we'll see.

Either way, though, more guys on the market is good.

Have a seat, Neifi
Starter

Postby Have a seat, Neifi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:53 pm

Tigers' offer reportedly was 6 years $ 144 million.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Have a seat, Neifi wrote:Tigers' offer reportedly was 6 years $ 144 million.

Wow. Hopefully he just thinks Detroit is a sinking ship or he hates it there and wants to move on, because that's a ton of cash to walk away from. If he wants more years than that, I don't think I'm interested anyway since he'll be 30 this summer.
I like beer.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:17 pm

mul21 wrote:
Have a seat, Neifi wrote:Tigers' offer reportedly was 6 years $ 144 million.

Wow. Hopefully he just thinks Detroit is a sinking ship or he hates it there and wants to move on, because that's a ton of cash to walk away from. If he wants more years than that, I don't think I'm interested anyway since he'll be 30 this summer.

Crazy to turn that down for a pitcher. If he wants out, he should be demanding a trade then or something, not risking 150 million dollars. That's just such an insane gamble given how much of it he could lose if he gets hurt or underperforms. And compared to how much he can lose, how much higher can he really get, even with another great year?

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Max Scherzer's agent Scott Boras told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Tigers rejected a contract offer from the right-hander's camp and not the other way around.
The Tigers released a statement Sunday saying Scherzer had rejected a "substantial, long-term contract offer," but Boras claims the team was the one that actually turned down Scherzer's extension offer. Boras isn't usually one to be believed, but that would actually make more sense than the idea of Scherzer rejecting something close to the $25.7 million AAV Justin Verlander got from the club, which ESPN's Jayson Stark had reported. Either way, the talks have broken off and Scherzer appears headed to a large payday next winter on the open market.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:25 pm

The Logan wrote:
Max Scherzer's agent Scott Boras told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that the Tigers rejected a contract offer from the right-hander's camp and not the other way around.
The Tigers released a statement Sunday saying Scherzer had rejected a "substantial, long-term contract offer," but Boras claims the team was the one that actually turned down Scherzer's extension offer. Boras isn't usually one to be believed, but that would actually make more sense than the idea of Scherzer rejecting something close to the $25.7 million AAV Justin Verlander got from the club, which ESPN's Jayson Stark had reported. Either way, the talks have broken off and Scherzer appears headed to a large payday next winter on the open market.

That makes a lot more sense.

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Jurickson Profar is out for 10-12 weeks. Think they would take Barney or Valbuena?
Addison Russell will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Guancous wrote:Jurickson Profar is out for 10-12 weeks. Think they would take Barney or Valbuena?

And apparently Andrus has a sore right arm, though I don't think it's supposed to be serious. Seems like they could definitely use Barney. I doubt they bring up Odor, and I don't see many internal options for them.
Last edited by Gilby on Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I think Jon Daniels might be disinclined to deal with Theo/Jed for a little while...

Return to “Transactions”