Upcoming 2016 FAs Watch Thread w/ speculative nonsense

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Upcoming 2016 FAs Watch Thread w/ speculative nonsense

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:02 pm

So with a big night against the Mets my top upcoming FA for the Cubs, 26 in 2016 Jason Heyward, is up to .288/.342/.437/.339 on the season. This includes a now 287 PA stretch from 4/23 with a roughly ~.305/.375/.460 slash line.

Jordan Zimmernann - He's lost a tick on his fastball, dropped the changeup (only thrown 5 times according to Brooks, same velocity and movement), and is throwing his breaking stuff harder and more often to get his whiffs. The big thing with him is the past TJ surgery and the recent stuff about that surgery only lasting about 7 years before the arm is in danger again. Gotta think he's the best candidate to get Shields/Jimenez/Garza'd in FA. A virtual lock to get the QO unless traded. Trading for him today is probably a better idea than giving him a FA contract if you're scared of the past surgery.

Samardzija - Throwing a shyte ton more cutters than usual, almost 30% as opposed to 11% as a SP with the Cubs and A's. He's throwing his splitter less often AND getting less whiffs on it. OTOH, he still throws hard, still generates swings and misses with his fastball, has never been on the DL let alone been cut open, is physically the biggest and most athletic FA SP...I would like him back, might prefer him more than any other available RHSP in FA given his health. Might get traded, which will prevent the QO.

Ben Zobrist - Might get traded, eliminating the QO, and is putting up a .776 OPS in Oakland (ML average OPS this year is .710 lol). The idea of Zobrist is great. He's a modern prototype - 6'3" contact hitter who will take a walk, has some power, and can play everything but C or P in a pinch. He'll catch [expletive] for being 35 in FA, but just being what he's been at such a high level for so long in such [expletive] places (Trop and Oakland) to hit keeps me interested.

One non-MLB FA that I am extremely interested in, if he can get out this time, is Cuban 2B Jose Fernandez. He might have been caught trying to defect last offseason, which has happened to a couple of current MLers (Puig IIRC and maybe de Aza?). Badler considered him the third best ML prospect in Cuba last summer, and BA had this on his performance:

Fernandez, 26, is Baseball America’s No. 3 player still in Cuba. At 5-foot-10, 185 pounds, Fernandez has excellent plate discipline and bat control from the left side, hitting .326/.482/.456 with 65 walks and 10 strikeouts in 314 plate appearances during the 2013-14 season. He was batting .315/.415/.426 with only one strikeout in 65 plate appearances this season until he was kicked off the team. He’s a better player than the two most recent top Cuban signings, Castillo and Diamondbacks outfielder Yasmany Tomas. Since Fernandez has more than five seasons of experience in Cuba, he too would be exempt from the international bonus pools if he ever does leave to pursue a contract with a major league team.

He played and played well in the 2013 WBC.

Price - It's just a matter of how willing to are to drop a record contract on a FA pitcher, duh. Price is excellent.

Too lazy to do Greinke and Cueto, but beyond 3 years for either I start getting nervous. I really like Greinke too, and frankly would love to do a 2002 draft theme on the rotation (Hamels, Lester, Greinke, and Kazmir). I'm leery of Kazmir, but he's a lefty with a 93 MPH fastball that generates swings and misses on its own so of course I'm at least a little interested. His cutter and changeup are quality pitches too. Terrified of doing 3 years with him, and it'll probably be 3 years.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Re: Upcoming 2016 FAs Watch Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 pm

27 year old Brett Anderson is rocking a 3.55 FIP in 108 innings for the Dodgers. Can he be the next Scott Kazmir, another high quality young LHSP who fell before reemerging as a quality rotation piece?

He's got a cartoonish 66.6% GB rate this year, which makes up for the 7.4% swinging strike rate and meh K rate. He's gained a little velocity back so we know he's healthier than he has been, he's got a deeper mix of pitches as he's using his curveball and changeup more. His sinker is a legitimate pitch as it draws both GBs and whiffs (9%). His slider generates bad swings - 33% of swings result in a whiff or foul ball, and when put in play it's a groundball 16% of the time.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 pm

@Darron1908: @JLester34 @JArrieta34 You two make a great 1-2 punch. Wouldn't @DAVIDprice14 be an excellent #3?

@JArrieta34: @Darron1908 @JLester34 @DAVIDprice14 Price a #3?

@DAVIDprice14: Jake I always loved you...but that right there makes me love u more!! RT @JArrieta34: @Darron1908 @JLester34 @DAVIDprice14 Price a #3?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:55 pm

yeah if price really does come to the cubs that would be amazing.
I just hope they can find a very good CF / Leadoff type for the 2016 season also!

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Still having fun with that arbitrary 4/23 endpoint on Heyward:

.300/.363/.454/.352 line with the 93% Z-contact and 83.4% contact rate over 326 PAs.

=

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Iunno if anyone saw it, but the Rogers Centre was absolutely ape [expletive] nuts during Price's start - start to finish. Pretty sure he walked to the mound to a standing, screaming crowd to open the game.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for that.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 pm

hmm blue jays have deep pockets who knows

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 am

sontensei wrote:hmm blue jays have deep pockets who knows

They sort of don't. There's a reason they were one of the few teams to toss out a relatively elite talent (Daniel Norris), as well as trade away a boatload of solid minor leaguers, rather than use financial strength to levy themselves into a better position. Now, granted, part of the factor is Anthoupoulos is probably on thin ice, and they moved for elite talent. Furthermore, with a guy like Price, it's possible they find a way to come up with the money to keep him around. Still ... I think I'd be rather surprised if Price is in Toronto next year.

_____

A sleeper rotation option I'd consider for next year is Wei-Yin Chen. Part of that depends on cost and length, as I wouldn't give him say, 4 years, and if it hits the rumored 15 million range ... then no. That said, on a superficial glance, I don't see many huge warning signs to be troubled with a 3 year deal. There might be ... I haven't looked all that deeply into it. He has the one GLARING issue, though, and that's the tendency to give up the long ball. He's improved the depth on his slider a bit this year, and I just wonder if a different pitching coach can perhaps get some improvement on the change-up for him. Still, he logs innings, mechanics seem relatively fine, and he doesn't walk many guys. If we miss out on top guys, he looks like a possible solid option as a 3rd/4th starter.

I was lukewarm on him several years back when he came stateside because of talk that in the last year in Japan, his velocity dipped, but he's adjusted rather well and is a consistently solid, average to above-average pitcher - not the easiest thing to do. He seems quite likely to hit FA, as Boras is going to want that ... and the Orioles probably aren't going to pay him the requisite amount to keep him around (and considering he made the move to Boras ... it seems like he wants that one big payday).

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 am

I kinda doubt the Tigers were looking for financial relief.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:19 am

I really doubt Detroit was looking for financial relief.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:30 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:I kinda doubt the Tigers were looking for financial relief.

SouthSideRyan wrote:I really doubt Detroit was looking for financial relief.

Make up your mind mister.

Those pizza pizzas aren't selling themselves.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:36 am

Fernandez has excellent plate discipline and bat control from the left side, hitting .326/.482/.456 with 65 walks and 10 strikeouts in 314 plate appearances during the 2013-14 season. He was batting .315/.415/.426 with only one strikeout in 65 plate appearances this season until he was kicked off the team.

Jeez. That's some Tony Gwynn type plate discipline.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:37 am

RCI has a few billion in cash. The Blue Jays are pretty much the Canadian National Baseball team. If the upper management really wanted to they could find the money to keep a guy like price around i think.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:38 am

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:11 am

sontensei wrote:RCI has a few billion in cash. The Blue Jays are pretty much the Canadian National Baseball team. If the upper management really wanted to they could find the money to keep a guy like price around i think.

The net worth of a company or individual that owns a baseball team does not always correlate to said baseball team having piles of cash to spend on payroll.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:17 am

It's that time of year again where I look at the pitchers we have for next year and hate them all.

I count maybe nine guys that I am comfortable putting on an MLB roster in 2016, and that's stretching to include Ramirez (who knows if he is ever healthy again) and Wood (he's going to be awfully expensive for what he brings and is an obvious non-tender candidate). We'll need to get to 14 at a minimum, and 16 or 17 would be ideal.

They've shown they can put a band-aid on these situations with reclamation projects and such, and we'll be in the market for at least one big pitcher, but I don't see how we will have the resources to do all that *and* go after a guy like Heyward. Which is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

sontensei
heathcliff slobumb

Postby sontensei » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:33 am

The Logan wrote:
sontensei wrote:RCI has a few billion in cash. The Blue Jays are pretty much the Canadian National Baseball team. If the upper management really wanted to they could find the money to keep a guy like price around i think.

The net worth of a company or individual that owns a baseball team does not always correlate to said baseball team having piles of cash to spend on payroll.

If they arent in debt they can potentially spend a lot if they want to.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:43 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:They've shown they can put a band-aid on these situations with reclamation projects and such, and we'll be in the market for at least one big pitcher, but I don't see how we will have the resources to do all that *and* go after a guy like Heyward. Which is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Trade for cost controlled pitcher

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:58 am

sontensei wrote:
The Logan wrote:

If they arent in debt they can potentially spend a lot if they want to.

Every team can spend a lot if they want, they're all owned by billionaires. If the Blue Jays lock up Price it won't be because "LOL, we're billionaires check out our yachts" it will be because they've got the payroll flexibility to be able to afford his annual salary because of things like Mark Buehrle's $20 million contract coming off the books.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Tim17
bench player

Postby Tim17 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:It's that time of year again where I look at the pitchers we have for next year and hate them all.

I count maybe nine guys that I am comfortable putting on an MLB roster in 2016, and that's stretching to include Ramirez (who knows if he is ever healthy again) and Wood (he's going to be awfully expensive for what he brings and is an obvious non-tender candidate). We'll need to get to 14 at a minimum, and 16 or 17 would be ideal.

They've shown they can put a band-aid on these situations with reclamation projects and such, and we'll be in the market for at least one big pitcher, but I don't see how we will have the resources to do all that *and* go after a guy like Heyward. Which is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I think the front office is pretty set with leaving the starting position players almost exactly the same for next year. Only change I see happening is potentially Baez in for Castro.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm

He's not a free agent in 2016, but I would absolutely love for the Cubs to acquire Zach McAllister from the Indians as a 5th starter for next season. For whatever reason Tito gives the guy almost zero leash as a starter despite 3.45FIP and 3.84xFIP as a starter in 2014. In 2015 he has been primarily used as a reliever and has posted monster peripherals, 2.32FIP, 2.75xFIP, 11.19K/9, 2.66B/9. Use the extra money on Heyward in CF and gamble on McAllister who has at least middle of the rotation upside.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Tim17 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:It's that time of year again where I look at the pitchers we have for next year and hate them all.

I think the front office is pretty set with leaving the starting position players almost exactly the same for next year. Only change I see happening is potentially Baez in for Castro.

Who's playing CF?

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Fowler

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:06 pm

sneakypower wrote:Fowler

:Barf:

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:18 pm

Tryptamine wrote:He's not a free agent in 2016, but I would absolutely love for the Cubs to acquire Zach McAllister from the Indians as a 5th starter for next season. For whatever reason Tito gives the guy almost zero leash as a starter despite 3.45FIP and 3.84xFIP as a starter in 2014. In 2015 he has been primarily used as a reliever and has posted monster peripherals, 2.32FIP, 2.75xFIP, 11.19K/9, 2.66B/9. Use the extra money on Heyward in CF and gamble on McAllister who has at least middle of the rotation upside.

Revisit Carrasco, Ross, trade for Mets pitcher deal. And sign Heyward. In the offseason, the Cubs should have a better idea of Schwarber's ability to stay at C, Castro's ability to rebound in 2016, Baez's ability to hit, etc.

Return to “Transactions”