Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

David
Hall of Fame

Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Postby David » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 pm

Kansas City left fielder Alex Gordon is almost certain to opt out of the final year of his contract (at $12.5 million in 2016) and make himself a very popular free agent. He is looked at as a professional bat, perhaps the best defensive left fielder in the game (along with Yoenis Cespedes) and a gamer.

Though he will turn 32 in February, he should receive a four-year deal, perhaps even five years. Clubs such as the Astros and Cubs are mentioned in what should be a deep field. However, a few executives cited one team that has surprised me — the Red Sox.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/28/red-sox-em ... ex-gordon/

Tryptamine
All-Star

Re: Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:08 am

Gordon being targeted would really be unexpected. It makes me think Schwarber might be headed out of town. Gordon has only played a grand total of 25 innings of RF in his MLB career, so I can't imagine the Cubs are signing a 32 year old to throw him into a new position.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:12 am

Tryptamine wrote:Gordon being targeted would really be unexpected. It makes me think Schwarber might be headed out of town. Gordon has only played a grand total of 25 innings of RF in his MLB career, so I can't imagine the Cubs are signing a 32 year old to throw him into a new position.

Schwarber isn't going anywhere.

A really good LF isn't suddenly going to become a liability if you put him in RF, if that's what they did (or they just put Schwarber in right)
Last edited by David on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:15 am

why not just bring back Fowler

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:21 am

Because Gordon is a gamer. Is Fowler a gamer?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:27 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:why not just bring back Fowler

Because Gordon is much, much better.

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:30 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Because Gordon is a gamer. Is Fowler a gamer?

Fowler is black. Can't be a gamer.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:33 am

Boston will win that sweepstakes. PTR!

I'd rather see the Cubs spend the money on pitching.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:39 am

I'd be ok with it as long as it wasn't more than 4 years. One of the best defensive OFs in the game and also a good hitter. Not sure how he will age though. Already strikes out around 22% of his ABs for his career, will that get worse as his bat slows? His strikeout rate this year (25.9%) was the highest of his career.
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:43 am

A dude named Sherman who writes for the NY Post is surprised the Red Sox would be involved in pursuing a coveted free agent? It can't be Joel Sherman, it must be some new guy they just brought onto the beat or something
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:03 am

Good player, obviously wouldn't say no, but Heyward's six years younger, better, and has handled CF.

5/90-5/100?

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:05 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
5/90-5/100?

Is that for Heyward or Gordon?

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:06 am

Gordon

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:26 am

UMFan83 wrote:I'd be ok with it as long as it wasn't more than 4 years. One of the best defensive OFs in the game and also a good hitter. Not sure how he will age though. Already strikes out around 22% of his ABs for his career, will that get worse as his bat slows? His strikeout rate this year (25.9%) was the highest of his career.

How much of that was during his comeback from injury? The Royals basically treated his September like spring training for the playoffs. He was pretty bad during that time.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:51 am

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I'd be ok with it as long as it wasn't more than 4 years. One of the best defensive OFs in the game and also a good hitter. Not sure how he will age though. Already strikes out around 22% of his ABs for his career, will that get worse as his bat slows? His strikeout rate this year (25.9%) was the highest of his career.

How much of that was during his comeback from injury? The Royals basically treated his September like spring training for the playoffs. He was pretty bad during that time.

Good call...24.4% before the injury, 30.2% after
Dare to dream....

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:10 am

I really don't have a lot of interest in him, he's a little too old and will cost a lot for mostly past performance. I'd rather just bring Fowler back or go after Heyward if we are giving out a 9 figure deal to a position player. I think we are going to be linked to a lot of players this offseason with no basis from writers. Bringing in Gordon tho would mean Soler is likely gone and we still wouldn't have a CF.
Screw Pitchers

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am

i don't really believe this rumor at all

probably just something his agent is spreading

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:58 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:

Thanks. I have watched a ton of Alex Gordon and I absolutely love him. That said, I would much rather have Heyward.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:36 am

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:

Thanks. I have watched a ton of Alex Gordon and I absolutely love him. That said, I would much rather have Heyward.

Me too, what would it cost to pry Cain from the Royals? He has to be getting expensive soon?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:41 am

sneakypower wrote:i don't really believe this rumor at all

I believe in that he's one of the top FAs out there this season and the Cubs are covering all these bases for all types of offseason scenarios. For instance if there is a trade for a pitcher available and Soler has to be dealt, its an option that would give them a good hitter with very good defense in the OF. It doesn't mean he's a top option, just that he's an option. The language of how in the Cubs are "like Cubs expected to be in on" could be exaggerated by the agent though
Dare to dream....

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

OleMissCub wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:why not just bring back Fowler

Because Gordon is much, much better.

Fowler was actually better this year from a fWAR perspective, and Gordon is older and will be more expensive. Presumably this would be with the eye on moving him to CF, which hurts his value further. Gordon is a fine player but giving a 32 year old a 5 year deal to try a more demanding position they have never played doesn't seem like this FO's style.

Which is to say that I don't believe this rumor for a second. Sherman + no local reporting on it makes it pretty likely to be an Agent just dropping the name of a team that'll spend money.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 am

KC has an even rawer deal with TV than we do. Damn. They locked in at the worst time considering what has transpired since.

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:48 am

illiniguy wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy's Boombox wrote:

Me too, what would it cost to pry Cain from the Royals? He has to be getting expensive soon?

I just don't see that happening until/if the Royals think they are out of it in 2017.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:50 am

David wrote:KC has an even rawer deal with TV than we do. Damn. They locked in at the worst time considering what has transpired since.

Yeah. It really sucks.
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:57 am

UMFan83 wrote:
sneakypower wrote:i don't really believe this rumor at all

I believe in that he's one of the top FAs out there this season and the Cubs are covering all these bases for all types of offseason scenarios. For instance if there is a trade for a pitcher available and Soler has to be dealt, its an option that would give them a good hitter with very good defense in the OF. It doesn't mean he's a top option, just that he's an option. The language of how in the Cubs are "like Cubs expected to be in on" could be exaggerated by the agent though

even then we still have 3 starter-caliber LFs on the roster and no CF, no RF and $100M less in available spending money

i mean, you can move one of the LFs over to the detriment of defense, but that's not something i could see the FO doing unless out of desperation

Return to “Transactions”