Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Re: Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Postby sneakypower » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Why should I care about any "stigma"?

kyle's credo

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:00 pm

David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Why should I care about any "stigma" surrounding the Cubs?

thank you

if anything, that drought that i didn't experience like 80% of, adds a little intrigue. i'd rather win championships, but my desire to win a WS has just about nothing to do with eliminating the "curse" thing, outside of the cool element it would add to the narrative (i'm sure theo loves this part).

i mean, yeah, it sucks that they haven't won one in that long, i guess, but i wouldn't feel any better about the cubs had they won one in 1969 or something (or even 84). i'd almost rather have the drought than a random championship somewhere along the way there...but either way it doesn't matter much.

Totally spot on.

The people who have a right to bitch are the ones who are in their 90s and early 100s. Otherwise, being a Cubs fan means you are no different than an Indians, Brewers, Pirates, Mariners, Astros or Rangers one.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
David wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Why should I care about any "stigma" surrounding the Cubs?

thank you

if anything, that drought that i didn't experience like 80% of, adds a little intrigue. i'd rather win championships, but my desire to win a WS has just about nothing to do with eliminating the "curse" thing, outside of the cool element it would add to the narrative (i'm sure theo loves this part).

i mean, yeah, it sucks that they haven't won one in that long, i guess, but i wouldn't feel any better about the cubs had they won one in 1969 or something (or even 84). i'd almost rather have the drought than a random championship somewhere along the way there...but either way it doesn't matter much.

Totally spot on.

The people who have a right to bitch are the ones who are in their 90s and early 100s. Otherwise, being a Cubs fan means you are no different than an Indians, Brewers, Pirates, Mariners, Astros or Rangers one.

I mostly agree but...

Indians: At least they can watch video highlights of their team in the World Series...in color. They have memories of their team winning 5 World Series games in the 90's. They have AL Champion banners
Brewers: Same but to a much lesser extent.
Pirates: They've won a title, they had fun memories of "We are family" and Stargell hitting a HR in game 7 of the world series. even if they weren't alive, they can connect with those memories, similar to how Bears fans can with the 85 team even though someone like me was too young to remember
Mariners: OK they can compete with us
Astros: Again they have a recent experience of winning a pennant and playing in a world series. Heck they can watch their pennant winning celebration in HD
Rangers: Same plus they won 4 WS games within the last 5 years

Obviously winning a World Series is the end goal and ultimately the only goal that definitively matters, but the Cubs have a longer pennant drought then any other team has a world series drought (among teams that have won a world series)...we don't have 100 years of pain, but we carry 100 years of baggage as fans whether we want to or not. Some people it doesn't bother, others it does.
Dare to dream....

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:We won 97 games in 2008, and then went right back to being a joke.

Because they were a disappointment in 2009 and then flat out stunk until 2015. Not because they didn't win a WS.

So you are implying that there is absolutely no correlation between the stigma surrounding the Cubs and our 107 year World Series drought? Come on.

I don't care; I'm not going to look at a 97-win season and an exciting playoff run as a failure or a joke because they haven't won a WS in over a century. I enjoy watching the team I'm a fan of do well.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

thank you

Totally spot on.

I mostly agree but...

Indians: At least they can watch video highlights of their team in the World Series...in color. They have memories of their team winning 5 World Series games in the 90's. They have AL Champion banners
Pirates: They've won a title, they had fun memories of "We are family" and Stargell hitting a HR in game 7 of the world series. even if they weren't alive, they can connect with those memories, similar to how Bears fans can with the 85 team even though someone like me was too young to remember
Astros: Again they have a recent experience of winning a pennant and playing in a world series. Heck they can watch their pennant winning celebration in HD

Obviously winning a World Series is the end goal and ultimately the only goal that definitively matters, but the Cubs have a longer pennant drought then any other team has a world series drought (among teams that have won a world series)...we don't have 100 years of pain, but we carry 100 years of baggage as fans whether we want to or not. Some people it doesn't bother, others it does.

This post is almost unbearably lame.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:53 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

thank you

Totally spot on.

I mostly agree but...

Quality counterpoint. I am for sure in the camp that my team has to win it all or there is nothing big to celebrate or brag about, but I do acknowledge that there are different levels of fun and memories in losing come playoff time. This year for the Cubs was much better than in 2008.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:55 pm

bunch of people pretending the cubs haven't been more awful than most in their lifetimes.

Unless you're 2 you're a dirty little liar.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:58 pm

David wrote:

thank you

i generally agree, but it does count for something that my parents have never seen the cubs in the world series. or that my grandmother loved the cubs and lived a long life and never saw them win. it's not a huge thing, but it is kind of haunting. i'd definitely feel at least a little differently about the cubs if they'd won in 84 or whatever, even though i wasn't born yet.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

thank you

Totally spot on.

I mostly agree but...

it's soooooooo um

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

treebird wrote:
David wrote:

thank you

i generally agree, but it does count for something that my parents have never seen the cubs in the world series. or that my grandmother loved the cubs and lived a long life and never saw them win. it's not a huge thing, but it is kind of haunting. i'd definitely feel at least a little differently about the cubs if they'd won in 84 or whatever, even though i wasn't born yet.

i get that...guess it helps that i'm first generation (though my dad did root for the cubs along with me - he moved here at 36 so i got the feeling that they were never really his team...in cuba the yankees were really popular and he told me he liked the cardinals when he was young too).

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Hey guys, you have nothing to bitch about, 5 other teams have been bad since the 90s.

What's that, there's 30 teams in baseball? And multiple teams have won world series in their first decade of existence? So what, unless you're 107 you have no room to complain, this organization has provided nothing but joy to all the rest.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 pm

This thread is getting dumb so I'm just gonna put this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtgyo8E-mY

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:08 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Hey guys, you have nothing to bitch about, 5 other teams have been bad since the 90s.

What's that, there's 30 teams in baseball? And multiple teams have won world series in their first decade of existence? So what, unless you're 107 you have no room to complain, this organization has provided nothing but joy to all the rest.

i don't think anybody has said the fact that the cubs haven't had a ton of success in the recent past is cool and fun

people are saying that the 107 years since a world series doesn't mean a lot to them

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:10 pm

David wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:thank you

Totally spot on.

I mostly agree but...

it's soooooooo um

hah, when I posted this, I was thinking 'I bet mojo and/or david will think this post is lame and comment'. Thus I gave you both hearts.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Quality counterpoint. I am for sure in the camp that my team has to win it all or there is nothing big to celebrate or brag about, but I do acknowledge that there are different levels of fun and memories in losing come playoff time. This year for the Cubs was much better than in 2008.

it's weird

during the season i was like "this is weird...this is fun but it doesn't feel as good as 2008." it got closer and closer as august and september played out but it still didn't feel as dominant as it was playing out. i remembered the 08 team just stomping on everyone in its path and blowing teams out routinely...OPSing like .800 as a team.

then the postseason happened and we got a barrage of mammoth memorable HRs and we knocked out the [expletive] cardinals i got to shake jason mcleods hand and suddenly it's my favorite season ever

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:17 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:bunch of people pretending the cubs haven't been more awful than most in their lifetimes.

Where.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:23 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:This thread is getting dumb so I'm just gonna put this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtgyo8E-mY

i will never get tired of seeing that idiot in that goofy cardinals suit turn to his buddy and go "let's get out of here"

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:49 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Hey guys, you have nothing to bitch about, 5 other teams have been bad since the 90s.

Is that the 1890s or 1990s?

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:00 pm

In a weird way I almost prefer the Cubs' history to rooting for teams that won a bunch before I was old enough to enjoy it and now don't as much. It would be nice if they had stumbled into a title somewhere in there though, just so mouth-breathing idiots couldn't crack 1908 jokes all the time and we didn't hear stories about 85 year old grandparents dying without seeing a title.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:07 pm

114. Can't be a true fan until you're 7.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Okay, well, I guess we know where my thinking differs: I do care about the 107 year drought. It is a thing. If the Cubs win a World Series, that would have such an enormous impact on the lives of so many people. I mean, we're talking about 107 years of stress and heartache being released, finally. The [expletive] random number generators would stop being random. It will be like a, "when pigs fly" kind of thing.

If you guys don't agree with me, so be it. But I am going to absolutely cry my eyes out when the Cubs win.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:45 pm

Cubbie Swagger wrote:Okay, well, I guess we know where my thinking differs: I do care about the 107 year drought. It is a thing. If the Cubs win a World Series, that would have such an enormous impact on the lives of so many people. I mean, we're talking about 107 years of stress and heartache being released, finally. The [expletive] random number generators would stop being random. It will be like a, "when pigs fly" kind of thing.

If you guys don't agree with me, so be it. But I am going to absolutely cry my eyes out when the Cubs win.

i'll probably cry too. not because of 107 years though.

[expletive] i teared up on the way to work hearing the radio calls of the last out of game 4 this year.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Andy wrote:In a weird way I almost prefer the Cubs' history to rooting for teams that won a bunch before I was old enough to enjoy it and now don't as much. It would be nice if they had stumbled into a title somewhere in there though, just so mouth-breathing idiots couldn't crack 1908 jokes all the time and we didn't hear stories about 85 year old grandparents dying without seeing a title.

That certainly is weird.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, lets get into a dick measuring contest over which of us is going to be the biggest whining baby when we win it all.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:35 pm

David wrote:i will never get tired of seeing that idiot in that goofy cardinals suit turn to his buddy and go "let's get out of here"

haha, never noticed that before, that's awesome
BTFU!

Return to “Transactions”