Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Re: Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:17 pm

David wrote:
Cubbie Swagger wrote:Okay, well, I guess we know where my thinking differs: I do care about the 107 year drought. It is a thing. If the Cubs win a World Series, that would have such an enormous impact on the lives of so many people. I mean, we're talking about 107 years of stress and heartache being released, finally. The [expletive] random number generators would stop being random. It will be like a, "when pigs fly" kind of thing.

If you guys don't agree with me, so be it. But I am going to absolutely cry my eyes out when the Cubs win.

i'll probably cry too. not because of 107 years though.

[expletive] i teared up on the way to work hearing the radio calls of the last out of game 4 this year.

Well, even if it doesn't matter to you, it certainly matters to millions of other people. It is a big deal whether it should be or not. Even if it is just media hype... let's be honest... the media has an extreme amount of control over the way people think. It would be a major news headline all over the world.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:30 pm

I have no idea what's even being discussed anymore.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I have no idea what's even being discussed anymore.

Whether or not the 107 year drought means anything.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:09 pm

I'm just worked up over [expletive] 1913. I'll never get over it. Of course, we went 88-65 and missed the [expletive] playoffs strictly because our [expletive] league didn't have Wild Cards back then. If we had, we all know we'd have won it all. And the amount of debate we've had on whether we'd have qualified or not if [expletive] Evers had just played Fritz Mollwitz(.857 OPS) over Vic Saier at 1B(.850 OPS) more often......God [expletive] [expletive]. It WOULD have made up our 13.5 game deficit and we ALL [expletive] know it. Back then, 7 OPS points was worth .437 wins per game and Evers wasn't completely sabermetrically inclined. [expletive]. So for me and many of us, its 101, not 107. Because we SHOULD have won that year.

Larry Cheney suffering from diarrhea and missing starts......3 guys with early onset tuberculosis. Another [expletive] got the consumption. That was our [expletive] year dammit.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:15 pm

davell wrote:I'm just worked up over [expletive] 1913. I'll never get over it. Of course, we went 88-65 and missed the [expletive] playoffs strictly because our [expletive] league didn't have Wild Cards back then. If we had, we all know we'd have won it all. And the amount of debate we've had on whether we'd have qualified or not if [expletive] Evers had just played Fritz Mollwitz(.857 OPS) over Vic Saier at 1B(.850 OPS) more often......God [expletive] [expletive]. It WOULD have made up our 13.5 game deficit and we ALL [expletive] know it. Back then, 7 OPS points was worth .437 wins per game and Evers wasn't completely sabermetrically inclined. [expletive]. So for me and many of us, its 101, not 107. Because we SHOULD have won that year.

Larry Cheney suffering from diarrhea and missing starts......3 guys with early onset tuberculosis. Another [expletive] got the consumption. That was our [expletive] year dammit.

You forgot the part where they choked under the pressure of their 6 year title drought
Dare to dream....

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:29 pm

no, you're thinking of when hippo vaughn literally choked on chicken dinner
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:46 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:This thread is getting dumb so I'm just gonna put this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtgyo8E-mY

I've got the 9th inning saved on my DVR and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:46 pm

soccer10k wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:This thread is getting dumb so I'm just gonna put this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHtgyo8E-mY

I've got the 9th inning saved on my DVR and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I have the Arrieta no-hitter, the wild card game, and all the wins against the cardinals on mine. I don't know if I'll re-watch them but I just can't delete them

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:57 am

I'd like to see them get him because then the cardinals wouldn't, and because i kinda prefer it when the white sox are competitive when the cubs are.

Cubbie Swagger
Starter

Postby Cubbie Swagger » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:17 pm

David wrote:

I'd like to see them get him because then the cardinals wouldn't, and because i kinda prefer it when the white sox are competitive when the cubs are.

I second this post.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:45 am

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:58 am

Ahh good stuff. Guess I shouldn't be too happy for the cute little Royals anymore after 2 pennants and a title, but its good to see them able to re-sign their key free agents and keep their team going strong.
Dare to dream....

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:28 am

UMFan83 wrote:Ahh good stuff. Guess I shouldn't be too happy for the cute little Royals anymore after 2 pennants and a title, but its good to see them able to re-sign their key free agents and keep their team going strong.

Is Gordon really that key to them? He seems more like a nice guy to have around to a disinterested observer. Though it is meaningful that anyone who could walk didn't.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 am

biittner77 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Ahh good stuff. Guess I shouldn't be too happy for the cute little Royals anymore after 2 pennants and a title, but its good to see them able to re-sign their key free agents and keep their team going strong.

Is Gordon really that key to them? He seems more like a nice guy to have around to a disinterested observer. Though it is meaningful that anyone who could walk didn't.

4 year $72 million seems to be more than just a nice guy to have around.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:48 am

David wrote:

100% agree

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:17 am

biittner77 wrote:

I mean he's averaged 5.5 wins over the last 5 seasons and that number is being held down by 2.8 wins over 104 games last year. Obviously age is a factor but based on his last 5 seasons he's certainly a key piece of their team.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 am

well i'm glad he's not going to st louis but i'd rather the white sox have gotten him than the stupid [expletive] royals

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:25 am

UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

I mean he's averaged 5.5 wins over the last 5 seasons and that number is being held down by 2.8 wins over 104 games last year. Obviously age is a factor but based on his last 5 seasons he's certainly a key piece of their team.

and 2.8 wins in 104 games is roughly a 4.2ish win full season pace

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 pm

David wrote:well i'm glad he's not going to st louis but i'd rather the white sox have gotten him than the stupid [expletive] royals

The White Sox have had a better offseason because they stopped acquiring players who will very likely be worse in Year 2 and than Year 1 of their White Sox time. While I think Gordon's a pretty good player and a better investment than say, LaRoche, I thought that about Samardzija last year too.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:12 pm

I'm curious if the Gordon signing is a sign for the rest of the market. He took probably close to what he was expected to get initially, but less than what I recall his demands were. If the money for everyone else comes down, would be nice to jump in there and get a "bargain".

Of course, this could also be Gordon deciding that the hometown team, the team he grew up rooting for, coming off a WS, was worth a "discount" from his demands.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 pm

toonsterwu wrote:I'm curious if the Gordon signing is a sign for the rest of the market. He took probably close to what he was expected to get initially, but less than what I recall his demands were. If the money for everyone else comes down, would be nice to jump in there and get a "bargain".

Of course, this could also be Gordon deciding that the hometown team, the team he grew up rooting for, coming off a WS, was worth a "discount" from his demands.

Cespedes!!!

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Since this was a double-post, rather than having a stupid double-post 37 minutes apart), I was thinking more if Wei-Yin Chen's price tag came down in years and AAV (looks like he might be the tough luck, but you waited too long (and had a QO) pitcher this market), and then to see if we could use Kyle Hendricks in some package for some other help. Also, since this is a random rumination post now, was wondering if the Cubs may want to revisit the catching market if they could move Montero (since the Nats are supposedly looking at catchers as well).

Anyhow, I have no clue how a 37 minute double post happened, as I wasn't even around.
Last edited by toonsterwu on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:07 pm

I just want it to come out that stl offered a bunch more money and he turned it down for a better chance to win.
Spoiler: show

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 pm

37 minutes has got to be a record for a double post
We are doomed.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:52 pm

yeah, not sure how the heck that happened.

Return to “Transactions”