Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Re: Sherman - Cubs (and others obv) expected to be in on Alex Gordon

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:56 am

toonsterwu wrote:yeah, not sure how the heck that happened.

Yeah that was weird. But it was a good post either way.

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 am

toonsterwu wrote:yeah, not sure how the heck that happened.

Yeah that was weird. But it was a good post either way.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:20 am

you did that on purpose
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:56 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:you did that on purpose

Maybe.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Ahh good stuff. Guess I shouldn't be too happy for the cute little Royals anymore after 2 pennants and a title, but its good to see them able to re-sign their key free agents and keep their team going strong.

Is Gordon really that key to them? He seems more like a nice guy to have around to a disinterested observer. Though it is meaningful that anyone who could walk didn't.

I mean he's averaged 5.5 wins over the last 5 seasons and that number is being held down by 2.8 wins over 104 games last year. Obviously age is a factor but based on his last 5 seasons he's certainly a key piece of their team.

and 2.8 wins in 104 games is roughly a 4.2ish win full season pace

I pay almost no attention to teams like the Royals. When I think of them, I think of Hossmer and Morales being the important guys. I was surprised to see that Gordon is right up there with them.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:55 pm

With the seeming lack of market for hitters this offseason, does Fowler come back to the Cubs? We know they offered him a 2 year deal this offseason but he wanted more years. With guys like Gordon,Cespedes and Upton struggling to get 4 or 5 year deals, things can't be looking good for Fowler. I'd take him on a one year deal where he can't be offered a QO in 2017.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Tryptamine wrote:With the seeming lack of market for hitters this offseason, does Fowler come back to the Cubs? We know they offered him a 2 year deal this offseason but he wanted more years. With guys like Gordon,Cespedes and Upton struggling to get 4 or 5 year deals, things can't be looking good for Fowler. I'd take him on a one year deal where he can't be offered a QO in 2017.

What would you do with Schwarber/Soler? Trade one?

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:06 pm

weis21 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:With the seeming lack of market for hitters this offseason, does Fowler come back to the Cubs? We know they offered him a 2 year deal this offseason but he wanted more years. With guys like Gordon,Cespedes and Upton struggling to get 4 or 5 year deals, things can't be looking good for Fowler. I'd take him on a one year deal where he can't be offered a QO in 2017.

You'd have to find someone who would give you good value for Soler, so any kind of move would kind of hinge on being able to do that.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:29 pm

weis21 wrote:

Keep them, with what they bring to the table and what Fowler brings all 3 would see significant time. Those 3 could serve as a pseudo platoon. Fowler starts against all LHP, occasional RHP to spell Soler and late inning defensive replacement. It probably isn't hard to get all 3 to about 500 PA's without doing anything drastic. What Fowler brings is a very nice hedge against the downside to Schwarber and Soler, albeit a likely expensive and more of a nice to have, than need to have hedge.

Figuring out a way to bring Fowler in as the "4th OF" would be my dream move for the offseason finisher, trade Coghlan for the best AA-AAA SP who could contribute this year if needed. I know it's very unlikely, but maybe Fowler doesn't see the big deal out there and liked his time here so much/wants to be a part of what we have built and the weak market next year and signs a 1 year deal for decent AAV (going from Coghlan to Fowler in terms of dollars is maybe a net of an additional $7 million max) or a 3 year deal with an opt out after the year.
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 pm

weis21 wrote:

Trade them both for Stanton.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
weis21 wrote:

I might get railed for it, but I wouldn't make that trade unless MIA was willing to eat one hell of a lot of money.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
weis21 wrote:

I might get railed for it, but I wouldn't make that trade unless MIA was willing to eat one hell of a lot of money.

You should be, Stanton is the man. Guy was on pace for 60 HRs last year.

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:04 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
weis21 wrote:

You should be, Stanton is the man. Guy was on pace for 60 HRs last year.

Guy is also making a stupid amount of money. You realize that you could have Strasburg/Soler/Schwarber in 2017 instead of just Stanton, right?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:19 pm

They'll attempt to piece together things around him before they trade him off. He's still cheap this year and next, 9 and 14.5 mill. I don't think they'll even truly consider dealing him until after that. I don't see Fernandez going anywhere either until mid season of NEXT year at this stage, the more I look at how they line up. It's entirely possible the Marlins actually stuck themselves with Stanton's entire deal. He's got the opt out at age 30, with at least 7/218 left on it. Harper's imminent record deal will start pushing salaries on up quite a bit, but Stanton will need some health in order to feel comfy opting out of that. My guess is they'll trade him in 2018, when his salary hits 25 mill and he's pissed anyway that they've dealt Fernandez by then and are starting another rebuild.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:25 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Guy is also making a stupid amount of money. You realize that you could have Strasburg/Soler/Schwarber in 2017 instead of just Stanton, right?

His contract is very team friendly. He's making a combined $23.5 million over the next two seasons and $100.5 million over the next 5 years before his opt out. Give me Stanton over that trio and a pitcher - preferably Fernandez - over that trio.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Schwarber was on pace for 44 HR this year and basically plays for free

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, but he's a big galoot and the day his baseball career ends after he cartoonishly leaves a galoot-sized hole in the bricks will make me sad. I don't like being sad.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Coach C
5-Time All-Star

Postby Coach C » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:34 pm

biittner77 wrote:
David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Ahh good stuff. Guess I shouldn't be too happy for the cute little Royals anymore after 2 pennants and a title, but its good to see them able to re-sign their key free agents and keep their team going strong.

Is Gordon really that key to them? He seems more like a nice guy to have around to a disinterested observer. Though it is meaningful that anyone who could walk didn't.

I mean he's averaged 5.5 wins over the last 5 seasons and that number is being held down by 2.8 wins over 104 games last year. Obviously age is a factor but based on his last 5 seasons he's certainly a key piece of their team.

I pay almost no attention to teams like the Royals. When I think of them, I think of Hossmer and Morales being the important guys. I was surprised to see that Gordon is right up there with them.

Wow....

Just.... Wow....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:51 pm

biittner77 wrote:
David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
biittner77 wrote:

I'm not sure but I think hosmer was kinda crappy before last year...or was that just moose tacos?

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 pm

To be fair, there probably aren't a whole lot of people outside of the KC metro area that give a [expletive] about the Royals. They won the friggin WS, and I'd struggle to name 5 players.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:32 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:To be fair, there probably aren't a whole lot of people outside of the KC metro area that give a [expletive] about the Royals. They won the friggin WS, and I'd struggle to name 5 players.

Can you name 5 players from any non-Cub (or Cub between 2009-2014) team?

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:40 pm

David wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:To be fair, there probably aren't a whole lot of people outside of the KC metro area that give a [expletive] about the Royals. They won the friggin WS, and I'd struggle to name 5 players.

I would think just about anyone here could, if they pay any attention at all.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 pm

XZero77 wrote:
David wrote:

XZero77, meet Sammy Sofa

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:44 pm

David wrote:
XZero77 wrote:
David wrote:

XZero77, meet Sammy Sofa

I was going to add "except mojo", but I figure he could at least name five Cardinals. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Pujols, Alfred Molina, Dracula, Blacula and Son of Kong.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Return to “Transactions”