The Pitchers we can trade for....

David
Hall of Fame

Re: The Pitchers we can trade for....

Postby David » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:18 am

It's insane to me that in such a pitching/run-prevention rich environment, pitching is being valued so highly (both trade-wise and FA-wise). That seems so backwards.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 am

David wrote:It's insane to me that in such a pitching/run-prevention rich environment, pitching is being valued so highly (both trade-wise and FA-wise). That seems so backwards.

It's not a rational system. Also, the value is relative. The teams are banking Brinks trucks right now, so everything is inflated.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:19 pm

I feel like a trade for a SP would come as a minor surprise now. Smoke has mostly cleared from that fire

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Derwood wrote:I feel like a trade for a SP would come as a minor surprise now. Smoke has mostly cleared from that fire

Yeah, it seems like they're pretty content to start the season with what they have, which isn't a terrible strategy given how much young pitching costs in a trade and the fact that Hammel was good in the first half. Truly a "[expletive] pitchers" offseason by Theo if that's the case.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:57 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
Derwood wrote:I feel like a trade for a SP would come as a minor surprise now. Smoke has mostly cleared from that fire

Yeah, it seems like they're pretty content to start the season with what they have, which isn't a terrible strategy given how much young pitching costs in a trade and the fact that Hammel was good in the first half. Truly a "[expletive] pitchers" offseason by Theo if that's the case.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The Cubs have all of the leverage in this situation -- if July rolls around and it's apparent that you need to make a move for another starter, you can absolutely do it with the pieces that you have.

Arrieta-Lester-Lackey-Hammel-Hendricks is a pretty solid rotation. You'd love to have another frontline starter, but wait for the market to go down from the price that it's currently at.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I still think they'll trade for an impact pitcher before the season, just might not be a SP.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The Cubs have all of the leverage in this situation -- if July rolls around and it's apparent that you need to make a move for another starter, you can absolutely do it with the pieces that you have.

Arrieta-Lester-Lackey-Hammel-Hendricks is a pretty solid rotation. You'd love to have another frontline starter, but wait for the market to go down from the price that it's currently at.

While I agree that Theo and Jed don't need to be overly concerned about the rotation, I don't think the bolded is necessarily true. You have the pieces NOW, but none of your tradeable pieces are bust-proof through July.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Yasiel Sierra was officially declared a free agent today. I know Tim has been beating the Sierra drum for a while.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:43 pm

He's not as big a priority to me now that we have Warren. I'd still love to sign him as stashable depth, but my guess is that he'd prioritize a team where he has a chance at the rotation in 2016.

At this point, I'm all about adding as many upside guys as possible.
Spoiler: show

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I want one of them 'shutdown 7-8-9 inning bullpens' some of them teams are getting. What do we gotta do to get to that point?

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:09 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I want one of them 'shutdown 7-8-9 inning bullpens' some of them teams are getting. What do we gotta do to get to that point?

Coghlan and prospects for McGee and Desmond Jennings would round out both the bench and bullpen pretty nicely.

nilodnayr
5-Time All-Star

Postby nilodnayr » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:55 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I want one of them 'shutdown 7-8-9 inning bullpens' some of them teams are getting. What do we gotta do to get to that point?

Coghlan and prospects for McGee and Desmond Jennings would round out both the bench and bullpen pretty nicely.

That would have to be some pretty decent prospect package as Coghlan isn't as valuable as either McGee or Jennings and the elite reliever market is pretty crazy right now.
KING OF THE VWR

"I feel better now, I know I'm not going to die. That's too bad for my family. They thought they were going to be rich without doing anything.'' -Ozzie Guillen

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:05 am

nilodnayr wrote:

That would have to be some pretty decent prospect package as Coghlan isn't as valuable as either McGee or Jennings and the elite reliever market is pretty crazy right now.

Prospects in this case means more that it isn't MLB pieces being sent rather an indicator of quality. Coghlan is pretty close to McGee in value, but while Jennings isn't a star he would require a return of some significance.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:22 am

nilodnayr wrote:

Prospects in this case means more that it isn't MLB pieces being sent rather an indicator of quality. Coghlan is pretty close to McGee in value, but while Jennings isn't a star he would require a return of some significance.

Coghlan, CJ, Jeimer and since it's an AL team throw in Vogelbach?
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I know I'm wrong, but I can't help getting the feeling that Fowler is a guy for the Cubs like Zobrist was. Working behind the scenes to sign him, but having to complete a trade of Soler to Tampa Bay first.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I know I'm wrong, but I can't help getting the feeling that Fowler is a guy for the Cubs like Zobrist was. Working behind the scenes to sign him, but having to complete a trade of Soler to Tampa Bay first.

Hopefully your wrong and it's Coghlan + prospects to the Rays for McGee and we will have a 4-headed monster of an OF with Schwarbs-Heyward-Fowler-Soler
Screw Pitchers

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Stop trying to make Fowler happen

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I know I'm wrong, but I can't help getting the feeling that Fowler is a guy for the Cubs like Zobrist was. Working behind the scenes to sign him, but having to complete a trade of Soler to Tampa Bay first.

Hopefully your wrong and it's Coghlan + prospects to the Rays for McGee and we will have a 4-headed monster of an OF with Schwarbs-Heyward-Fowler-Soler

Expand the deal Soler + Coghlan + prospects for Odorizzi, Jennings, and McGee. Sign Fowler and you have lots of versatility with 3 guys who can play CF or corner OF including a switch hitter.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Expand the deal Soler + Coghlan + prospects for Odorizzi, Jennings, and McGee. Sign Fowler and you have lots of versatility with 3 guys who can play CF or corner OF including a switch hitter.

Remind me why we want Desmond Jennings?
formerly known as PriorPower

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't have much interest in Odorizzi honestly.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:14 pm

davell wrote:I don't have much interest in Odorizzi honestly.

Same, especially in a world where Fernandez and Gray might be available this year.

PCP, Jennings can play CF or LF and hits very well against LHP.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:30 pm

I like Moore enough as a bounce back guy, but only if you can get him without Javy or Soler. I even like Cobb as a one and a half year guy, in the same scenario. But Odorizzi likely DOES cost us one of those 2 and he's not much of an upgrade over our 4/5 now.

I think its fairly apparent we can eventually earmark one of Gray/Archer/Fernandez to the Dodgers, since they won't stop stocking their system with Cubans. I'd rather hold onto our top chips in order to be able to get one from that group too, at mid season or even next off season.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:44 pm

I'm happy with just plucking McGee and Jennings from them. I'd even "settle" for just McGee. I wish we knew the name of whoever the closer they were going after in November/December was.

Also believe it's fair to earmark one of those guys to the Cubs, who have as much to trade as any franchise in baseball and have two full time SPs (one who currently can't confidently be asked to go three times through a lineup) under contract past 2017.

Return to “Transactions”