The Pitchers we can trade for....

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Re: The Pitchers we can trade for....

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am

From MLBTR:
The Cubs have remained in “constant contact” with the Rays, reports Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (audio link). It’s previously been suggested that Chicago could have interest in Alex Cobb, but Bowden hints that Jake Odorizzi could make a nice fit for Chicago in a deal. The hang-up, though, is that the Cubs are trying to swing a deal without giving up Jorge Soler, Javier Baez, or other major league pieces.

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:50 am

Backtobanks wrote:From MLBTR:
The Cubs have remained in “constant contact” with the Rays, reports Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (audio link). It’s previously been suggested that Chicago could have interest in Alex Cobb, but Bowden hints that Jake Odorizzi could make a nice fit for Chicago in a deal. The hang-up, though, is that the Cubs are trying to swing a deal without giving up Jorge Soler, Javier Baez, or other major league pieces.

Rosenthal put out a tweet yesterday regarding the Cubs and TB potentially being connected, & Morosi tweeted earlier this morning that TB is ramping up their efforts to trade pitching.

Obviously this isn't breaking news, Cubs & TB have been talking throughout the winter, but it finally seems like TB may be close to making a move, interesting.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Phil Rogers came up with 5 trades between the Cubs and Rays.....

1) McGee for McKinney(I'm in)

2) Cobb and McGee for Coghlan, Contreras, Vogelbach, and McKinney([expletive] no)

3) Odorizzi and McGee for Baez, McKinney, and Vogelbach(he's valuing Cobb more than Odorizzi?)

4) Archer and McGee for Soler, Baez, McKinney, and Vogelbach

5) Archer, McGee, and Kiermaier for Schwarber, Baez, McKinney, and Torres
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:52 pm

I'd do 1 and 2 if it was Odorizzi and not Cobb in trade 2. The other 3 I would not do
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

I'd take option one for sure, and am not really turned off by two. That's probably as far as I go right now, prefer a couple other vaguely available SPs over Archer tbh and wouldn't love the timing.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't like 2 solely because Cobb is coming off TJS, we don't know when he'll pitch(he did have it in May last year though, I think) and he's only got 1 year after this one under control. If healthy, I DO like him more than Odorizzi though.

I love Archer, but do like Fernandez, Gray, Carrasco more. I kind of look at Kiermaier as overkill, I doubt he'd be as valuable for us as he is for them.

At any rate, if McGee can be had for McKinney, I hope we jump on it.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 pm

davell wrote:Phil Rogers came up with 5 trades between the Cubs and Rays.....

1) McGee for McKinney(I'm in)

2) Cobb and McGee for Coghlan, Contreras, Vogelbach, and McKinney([expletive] no)

3) Odorizzi and McGee for Baez, McKinney, and Vogelbach(he's valuing Cobb more than Odorizzi?)

4) Archer and McGee for Soler, Baez, McKinney, and Vogelbach

5) Archer, McGee, and Kiermaier for Schwarber, Baez, McKinney, and Torres

Really, none of these trades are all that bad.

1. If that's it, you laugh and take it. Don't love McKinney enough to be worried.

2. Don't love it, but don't hate it. Not that wedded to Contreras. Value wise, seems justifiable overall (but 1 makes this seem bad ... 1 just seems like a bad deal for the Rays in this market)

3. I'd think about it, but I don't love the idea of adding Odorizzi at the cost of a piece that may be better utilized in other deals.

4 and 5 are tough deals to assess. I'd do 4 moreso than 5, but I can see why people would be wary. that said, Archer is that good on that good of a contract.

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:43 pm

I'd love No. 4, and not because we aren't giving up good players. We are.

But having Archer for six years, in which he isn't being paid more than $11 million, is really valuable and worth giving up a bunch of potential. He'd give the Cubs options, including not having to give Arrieta big money in a few years if they chose to use it elsewhere.

DonnieD
Role Player

Postby DonnieD » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I would jump at #5. I think Kiermaier is going to hit (and he already isn't bad), and to have Heyward in RF and him in CF would be a pitcher's dream. I love Schwarber's bat but I think you have to do that deal.
"WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Just seems like insanely defensively heavy OF like that are a little bit of a waste with half your games at Wrigley

and I want dongs

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:47 pm

It is Phil Rogers, but I am mildly curious that he plopped Billy McKinney into every deal. In some respects, it almost feels like he's suggesting that McKinney is someone they are targeting. Is that the case? I haven't really followed, but I don't recall anything specific about the Rays specifically being interested in McKinney.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:53 pm

toonsterwu wrote:It is Phil Rogers, but I am mildly curious that he plopped Billy McKinney into every deal. In some respects, it almost feels like he's suggesting that McKinney is someone they are targeting. Is that the case? I haven't really followed, but I don't recall anything specific about the Rays specifically being interested in McKinney.

Nah, there's been nothing connecting McKinney with anyone. A while back, a reporter(very well may have been Rogers) did say the Rays have interest in Villanueva/Vogelbach/Szczur.

Return to “Transactions”